Do you have rules for your stash?

Some discussion in another thread got me to thinking about rules we have for building our stash. Thought it would be interesting to talk about, I'm sure we all have different ideas.

My biggest rule is that whatever stash I have has to fit in the designated storage space. Otherwise I won't be able to walk through the room:lol

if I see a yarn that looks really nice and i want to find out more about it, I pretty much have given myself permission to buy one skein to play with.

I need to make a rule that once I have tried a yarn out and I really know i don't like it for some reason, that it's OK to pass it on to someone else. I have a hard time letting go even when it's obvious I don't like the yarn, if I had high hopes for it in the beginning of our "relationship" it's hard to "break up" :lol

I'll have to think about what my other self-imposed rules are.

I don't have any rules for my stash although I do have self-imposed buying bans from time to time, mainly because I've bought yarn (LOL I typed YEARN there!) for specific projects and then not started them so I say to myself "Self, no more yarn until you've made that ____" ;)

I don't have any rules for my stash although I do have self-imposed buying bans from time to time, mainly because I've bought yarn (LOL I typed YEARN there!) for specific projects and then not started them so I say to myself "Self, no more yarn until you've made that ____" ;)

Are you "yearning" for yarn?:lol

I also really try to make myself use what I've bought before i acquire too much more....I could do a lot better on that one though:blush

I don't have rules, though I should. But then again, I only buy yarn for a specific project, never to just try out. The problem is I never trust that I will have enough yarn as the pattern calls for (even though I generally am on target to meet the gauge,) so I always buy a skein or two extra of each color and that's how I am getting a room full of yarn. The only thing I usually manage to do is stay in the same tones - blues, grays, greens, plums, and the cooler color tones so I can use together in scrap ghans or smaller projects in a color scheme I like. I rarely use red or primary colors, or even the browns - warmer colors.

I tend to buy yarn only for specific projects, but I stash thread. My only rule is...if I want the color, I buy it. With thread, though, you generally only need one ball at a time of any given color. I do have a small yarn stash, which would be considered pitiful by most of the ladies I know here. I have some worsted that was gifted to me that I use for squares, some cotton for dishcloths, and I buy wool when I find it at the thrift store, for felting. It fills a couple of plastic drawers--not much.

Except...oops, I forgot this. I do buy sock yarn, and I have quite a stash of that. LOL now...:lol I don't think I really have any rules, although I don't spend a lot of money.

depends...went to walmart saturday to buy yarn for a project...then happened to mosie on over to the clearance aisle and what do i spot ?!? 10 skeins of bernat baby jaquards that i had to rescue...then they hadone skein of rhss honeydew that will go perfectly with such and such...wound up spending almost $50 on yarn...

i actually left 95% of my stash at home...it took up most of the top bunk...i have a joann's reusable shopping bags with yarn in projects...and a ziploc xl bag filled with my scraps for squares. and now...i have 2 walmart reusable bags filled...and my yarn drum...

Rules?:think There are rules for yarn stashing?:eek Who knew there were rules?:shrug I didn't.:faint Hmmmm.:scrachin I guess my only rule for yarn stashing is if I :drool over it whether in a store or a catalog and its at a good price, I buy. My hubby and I have a couple extra rooms in our house so we stash items we can't live without in these rooms. The main item for him is baseball cards. For me, its yarn and crochet patterns. Never mind how full/empty these rooms are of these items. That's hubby and my secret.:rofl :rofl

Rules?:think There are rules for yarn stashing?:eek Who knew there were rules?:shrug I didn't.:faint Hmmmm.:scrachin I guess my only rule for yarn stashing is if I :drool over it whether in a store or a catalog and its at a good price, I buy. My hubby and I have a couple extra rooms in our house so we stash items we can't live without in these rooms. The main item for him is baseball cards. For me, its yarn and crochet patterns. Never mind how full/empty these rooms are of these items. That's hubby and my secret.:rofl :rofl

I like your rules!!

No Rules here! I do try and apply a little common sense. Like not buying a lot of yarn I will most likely never use, no matter how good of a bargin it is.

Thread is my weak spot. I always like to keep a good supply of colors on hand as I never know when the creative urge is going to strike and It's much easier to let the imagination fly when I have what I need to let it soar. For me it's the tools of my trade so to speak.

But rules and limits. No Way. I have few vices in my life and my crochet harms no one. So as long I can afford it. I can and will buy what I need and want.

I sort of let my yarn stash get out of hand this year....for several months, I've been madly crocheting charity hats. This week, I was able to eliminate one storage tub. It was a bad choice anyway as it was transparent red....couldn't tell what colors of yarn were in it....Don't know what I was thinking when I bought it! :think

New rule....no more yarn!:eek:devil

After the new year, I'm going to start making doilies.....I have bought every color of thread I could find locally.

No Rules here! I do try and apply a little common sense. Like not buying a lot of yarn I will most likely never use, no matter how good of a bargin it is.

Thread is my weak spot. I always like to keep a good supply of colors on hand as I never know when the creative urge is going to strike and It's much easier to let the imagination fly when I have what I need to let it soar. For me it's the tools of my trade so to speak.

But rules and limits. No Way. I have few vices in my life and my crochet harms no one. So as long I can afford it. I can and will buy what I need and want.

lolol - those are my kind of rules!

I just try to limit myself to buying colors that I'll actually use. I went thru a phase of trying new stuff and most of it I didn't like working with. So, now I pretty much stick with my Caron Pounders and Sensations Boucle.

My one rule is to be as frugal as possible like buying them when they're on sale for $5 a piece when Joann's has free shipping.

Hubby has an entire garage for his hobbies. I just have the spare bedroom for storing mine. I'm actually in the middle of finally organizing it and I really think I need more!

So - I am destashing the yarn I won't use and tons of assorted leftover balls.

I don't have any rules to buying yarn or not. I buy what I see and like or if I am planning on starting a project. I don't bother with dye lots as to me it gives whatever I am working on character and gives it something that isn't the same as everyone else. I also like to get more then I need and have left overs LOL

Archived