Our House [Archive 1]

idagammy

JulieKay, my first name is Nicole. :)

Hmm. Now I'm waffling between the "Our House" and the "Do-Si-Do." They're both sooo pretty - Misa, I'm so impressed with your skill!

I think I like the "Our House" better, but...I already have 30 oz. of yarn that would work for the "Do-Si-Do" so I wouldn't have to buy as much if I do that one. It was given to me, and I'd love to find something to do with it; it's an oatmeal-colored yarn w/ flecks of maroon and dark blue, so I was thinking that would look nice with a navy and a lighter blue.

Ack! I'm not sure how to decide!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks julie for putting me on the list you gave me the encourge and responcebility of buying yarn as soon as possible

i decided which colours i want but the problem is (will i find the colours in the big numbers of balls i need)

to be or not to be that is the question hahaha

i really love light purple - ecro or beige - light green( is it named sage green or something the one that knick is useing in her bed spread)????

Hi Nicole -the yarn you have with the flecks sounds pretty ! Let me know when you figure out for sure which one you wanna do and I'll add it the the list . :)

Athba- well, I'm not sure which green you are talking about .If it's RH yarn, they have lt sage ,but there is a lighter green called frosty green .

Hope you are able to find the colors you want .

I have my first square done. :) Question: when you are crocheting the rows together, which color yarn do you use when there are more than one color squares being joined? :huh Or does it matter? Thanks. I'm not there yet, but thinking ahead to when I will be.

So far today it's rain, freezing rain, and sleet. Yuck! :yuck I'm supposed to take Kim to the doctor, but I'm thinking of rescheduling the appointment. I don't really want to take her out in this when she's already under the weather.:ohdear

I bought my yarn to start the Love Letters Crochet quilt. I decided to go for a completely different look than the original picture shows. My hearts will be "shocking pink" instead of the pastel pink. The background will be "turqua" instead of pale green. And the lattice strips will be "bon bon print" instead of the purple. I almost always go for pastels in afghans, so I wanted to try something completely different. I think I've been inspired by posts here at the 'ville where crocheters have used really vibrant colors in their afghans. I'm hoping to get started today but I don't know what with cooking, cleaning, business paperwork, homeschooling and spanish class tonight, things aren't looking all that promising.

I have my first square done. :) Question: when you are crocheting the rows together, which color yarn do you use when there are more than one color squares being joined? :huh Or does it matter? Thanks. I'm not there yet, but thinking ahead to when I will be.

So far today it's rain, freezing rain, and sleet. Yuck! :yuck I'm supposed to take Kim to the doctor, but I'm thinking of rescheduling the appointment. I don't really want to take her out in this when she's already under the weather.:ohdear

Linda, good for you :clap ! As far as the color of the thread to sew them together it doesn't matter just pick one of the two...when I was making them it always depend on which I had more of :lol

Which brings up a question I have for Julie about her joining method. When you sc the blocks do you change colors to match the blocks or do you just pick one color and run with it? :think

Anyway, I haven't even started my Roundabout :blush Been working on this gnome doll and I'm about ready to rip his little head off...he sure has been a pain :irk He's definately the hardest thing I've ever tried to design, lotsa issues. Maybe I shouldn't have picked something so challenging for my first one in four years :P

Think I'll treat myself with a few squares for the Roundabout, those I know I can do :hook

Karin, I can't wait to see how that turns out! I actually kinda like things on the wild color side. Makes it exciting :yes I always have to tone these quilts down when I design them :lol

Thanks Cara. :hug I'm excited to be trying this. Lots of little squares have always intimidated me, but I like the look of them. I have two gold squares done now. Lots of other stuff going on, so I'm sandwiching them in here and there. They do go very fast, and that is fun. :hook As long as I hide the tails as I go it doesn't seem to be too much of a chore to weave them in. My last big afghan I left them all until the end and it was terrible.:yuck

Linda- be careful if you decide to go out today. That freezing rain is SCAREY driving .

As for you and Cara's questions regarding my joining , I usually just pick one color and use it to put the entire thing together. I don't really have a set of guidelines about which color it is. I guess I just pick one that I think would look the best ( or least noticeable from the front ) .

Karin-your colors sound very pretty ! Can't wait to see your afghan come together . Nothing wrong with using some color and pizzazz !

Robyn- good for you, it sounds like you have a good start .

Which brings up a question I have for Julie about her joining method. When you sc the blocks do you change colors to match the blocks or do you just pick one color and run with it? :think:hook

Hi Cara, I was wondering about this myself. I am up to a row on the casa where the squares keep changing color nearly every square. I have been using the color of the squares to do the scing together but when you have to change nearly every square it does get a bit annoying. Last night what I did in the end with that row was just carry one color behind while doing the other color instead of breaking off the yarn after every square. It did make it quicker. I to would be interested to see what Julie does with hers.

Oooh, congrats on finishing your first block! :clap I can't wait to see it.

I did some test squares last night, and I think I'm going to end up using an I hook. Of course, I used some random ww yarn from my stash, so I'll have to do more tests once I decide on a final yarn. I'm tempted to put together a Do-Si-Do with my stash yarn. (Blues and Grey) Not sure if I have enough, though. Must stash-search.

Karin your colors sound great cant wait to see what it looks like.

Leah well done on starting on yours.

Julie that will teach me not to read ahead. I saw your reply to Cara about the joining. Maybe I should just use white instead of changing all the time. It does get very annoying. The white on the dark pink might be a bit noticeable though or doesnt it really matter.

Wendy, I'm having a similar "problem" with my cat quilt squares. When I had a long stretch with one color I switched to that, but I think I'm going to just use the darkest blue I have - even when joining the off-white. Too many color changes otherwise! Besides, most people - who aren't crocheters - probably won't notice unless they're on top of the piece!:D

I'm joining a block for a baby quilt I'm doing with a fingering weight pink I'm hoping it's strong enough to hold up. If so it might be a good thing to use for joining since it's so thin. The blocks are made with baby softee and doubled finger weight and caron ss yarns kind of a hodge podge of what I have on hand to experiment with so far it looks fine and the sizes of yarn aren't noticeable but I'll have to wait till it's all together and I can really look at it.

What do you guys think about the fingering weight for joining. I'd just like to know if you would think it's strong enough or not to take into consideration when looking at the finished square.

Hey Guys

Well, it sounds like we have some questions about the joining. I never even tried changing colors when joining so that the joining would match the squares' colors. Too much bother, and like someone said, the back would be pretty rough looking to change colors that often, what are you gonna do with all the loose hanging colors ?

I tend to usually go with the darkest color I'm using to put them together . I don't know if it looks any better that way, but to me, it doesn't seem to "stick out " as much and be as noticeable as the real light color , if you'd try to put it together and have lots of dark colors to put together .

This probably doesnt make a lick of sense. I'm really tired tonite, so will come in again and re-read this in the morning . I even mixed up MYSELF . :lol

I'm right there with you Athba, I don't have the money for the yarn right now either but I still hadn't decided which one to do so it doesn't matter lol. I will probably wait to figure it out at the end of the month when I get to my Mom's and trick her into telling me colors she likes lol.

I finished the squares on my first block, got all the ends weaved in and laid it out. I have the first 3 rows joined. Wow...it's a chore to make a crochet quilt but I love this design! I hope to finish up the square tomorrow so I can post a picture. :)

Archived