Our House [Archive 1]

idagammy

Beautiful work, Cara.:yay

And though I try to remember to sc the rows together, I, too, often revert to my 30 plus year habit of whipstitching squares together. One benefit: doing it that way does give you more control, insofar as preventing the joining color from showing through too much...

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very, very pretty, Cara! :yay You crochet as well as you design. :manyheart I think mine will take forever to finish, but at least this isn't a race. The end result is what counts. I haven't touched my crochet hooks today yet. Spent about 3 1/2 hours with another guy sorting, cleaning, and reorganizing the garage. :wbrr It was cold out there, so now I'm ready stay inside and try to get warm.

Hey Guys

I tend to usually go with the darkest color I'm using to put them together . I don't know if it looks any better that way, but to me, it doesn't seem to "stick out " as much and be as noticeable as the real light color , if you'd try to put it together and have lots of dark colors to put together

Julie just going on with the subject of scing them together. I have been using the same color as the squares and it does take time and its annoying. Im now up to the 12th row will it be ok to now just use one color. Also do you think its better to go with the darkest color even if your scing two whites together. I think Im starting to be too fussy with it.

Everyone's ghns are coming along beautifully. :cheer

I started mine today but I too am getting frustrated with my bi-color squares. :yes:angry It's been awhile since I did a quilt ghan with these squares so I can't remember if I git frustrated or not. But I do rememebr having to join them creatively to hide the corners. Grrrrrr!!!!! Why can't anything be easy?? :lol

oh my its so hot here today. I have just come back from taking Emma to gym. I took my crochet squares with me and it was so hot in there that my yarn was starting to stick and I couldnt crochet properly. Im glad Im now back home in the air conditioning. Roll on Autumn I say.

Julie just going on with the subject of scing them together. I have been using the same color as the squares and it does take time and its annoying. Im now up to the 12th row will it be ok to now just use one color. Also do you think its better to go with the darkest color even if your scing two whites together. I think Im starting to be too fussy with it.

Wendy, I'm sticking with whipstitching the squares together...I have more control over how much of the yarn shows as I connect them. With the sc row I did, more of the other color showed...so, back to my old way for my projects:hook .

Its easy to whipstitch some of these patterns as they are done in blocks. The casablanca is done in one.

Im at a stumbling block as I dont like how the bicolors are looking and Im sick of changing color when Im scing them together. Trouble is now to change to just scing them with one color you can really see it.

I hate it when Im like this. I have been on the same row all morning looking at what way to put it together. If I dont sort it out soon I know what is going to happen with this. Im upto row 13 and I really dont want to frog it just because of the putting together part.

Do you think it would be ok to start whipstitching the rows together horizontally the same way you would normally sc them together. them whipstitch back the other way later.

Sorry to go on and on about this

I started my squares for the Love Letters afghan. This is going to take awhile. I'm glad I'm so bad in math that I can't figure out how many squares it will take to finish the afghan. It might scare me off. But it is nice that the squares are so small that you can get one done so quickly.

Karin, DON'T figure out how many it will take! :no I DID and the answer was really, really scarey. :scared I'm really tempted to erase it from my signature and try to forget what I came up with. In fact, I'm going to that right now! The number is HUMUNGOUS!:faint

Finally, here is a picture of my ghan. The cutie in the picture is my son...he wanted to be a part of the picture. LOL the squares aren't perfect, but for my first one not bad I think.

CVquiltpic.jpg

Thanks, Wendy. I had to fix my post, I meant my square aren't perfect. The ends are no fun to weave in but I've enjoyed it. I am going to work super hard to finish it this weekend. I also decided that I'm going to line the back with some soft flannel since it's for her baby.

I was just thinking that if you wanted to put a backing on your quilts you could use a tool called a edgery doo. Clare here in the ville has bought one. It makes holes in the fabric which you can then crochet a border. What a simple way to put the backing on and crochet the two pieces together.

Just a thought.

Archived