Our House [Archive 1]

idagammy

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I haven't decided on colors yet. Either neutrals, beige, browns, black or shades of green to be adventurous. I saw the post on Simply Soft. I was thinking of using something like that because it is soft and I like the way it feels against the skin. What other fibers do you all suggest? I may go with the Simply Soft still because I don't mind working with it but I am always open to suggestions from the more experienced.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Mrs. D! :D

Cara~Those are all so gorgeous. Now how to choose just one. :think

I have chosen the Do-Si-Do. I absolutely love the pattern. I will let ya know what colors i'll be using after going to check out the new Super Walmart across the river tomorrow. I heard it is huger then huge, I can't wait to see what the yarn selection will be. :cheer

Cara: You're so not making my decision making any easier. :lol I just looked at the patterns you posted today and they're absolutely great! :cheer I'm glad to see a couple of baby quilts. Perhaps I'll start one of these just because they're smaller.

Julie: You're right. I love Caron SS colors, but I prefer Red Heart for afghans and I should have mentioned that in my earlier post. :yes

MrsDDH: Welcome to your first CAL! You're going to have so much fun here. :hook

Cara oh my what gorgeous ghans you have put up. I have been following everyday to see what you put up there. I would love to be able to do the Pretty Gingham Baby quilt. I have to do 2 ghans for baby showers, I would love to be able to do this and have it finished in time for the shower in March, may not be til after the baby come. You are a very talented lady and thank you so much for allowing us to do your creations. I wrote down all my yarn so I know what to get tomorrow lol.

Welcome MrsD to your first of many cals! You will get hooked like the rest of us!

I stand in agreement with Julie concerning the SS. As much as I love it, I used it on an afghan that had 7 different colors and those ends were a nightmare! The ghan was for a gift and so I washed it before I gave it and thank goodness I did! Almost all of my (long) tails started coming out and as much as I hated doing it, I ended up knotting the ends. Knots were better than the whole ghan coming apart or someone pulling on a tail and unraveling a section! The girl I made it for has washed it twice now with no problems of unraveling ends. I made a hat with all seven colors for my niece for christmas and it turned out great..never took a pic but maybe they can and will send me one!

Cara....love the additions! I'm waiting for my friend to pick one out so when she does I will let you all know what it is! I'm hoping to teach her a little crochet so she can help with all those squares...I think she knows the basics so it shouldn't be too much work!

Wow, lots of posts to catch up on again . :)

Wendy- that'll be great if you have an updated photo to show -- if not, it's ok since we're all just getting off the ground here . I need to post a note regarding our update day -- thanks for the reminder . Can't wait to see what colors you choose for your mom. What are some of her favorite colors ?

Cara- wow, I love the baby quilt with the pinks and white-- it is SO pretty ! They are ALL pretty, that's the problem, I'm almost 50 ,so I am wondering if I have enough years left to make one of each before I kick the bucket . :lol

Mel- first of all, I must say if there is a support group for CAL addictions, I'm not only a MEMBER, I'm the PRESIDENT .

These things are more addicting than Mad Dog, aren't they ?

And I LOVE your idea about sending me your finished quilt-ghan ! ( Joking, you keep it for yourself ) :lol

Mrs D- it's ok if you want to use SS- I certainly don't wanna talk anyone out of using it, if thats the yarn you prefer, then of course, use it ! I was just stating my thoughts on it, but there are also ladies that like ONLY SS and don't like RH at all .

Another alternative, if you like the soft yarns is to try RH Soft --- I have used it and really feel it is a better quality yarn. It seems a little thicker and holds up better, but I still think the ends wouldn;t stay tucked well . It's also quite a bit more expensive if you have to buy a lot .

Hey Ladies -

Just a couple add-ons that I needed to notify everyone about now that the group is coming together well.

I will also post these on post number 1 ,so newbies will see them if they begin reading at the start .

1- Fridays will be called Photo Friday, so each Friday, if you have a camera and the time, please post an updated photo of your progress for that week. We do it in a couple of my other CAL's and everyone seems to like it .

2- Could you each please send me a PM with your name, pattern choice and colors, and I will post a list on post number 1, so that you can see who else is in YOUR group-- the other ladies that are working on the same one as you, that way you all can compare notes, ask questions if you get stuck, etc .

Anyhow, I'll post your name and choices once they start rolling in to my PM box .

Thanks ~

Evening Ladies

I'm tiring to catch up here with everything since i will be here for about 3 more days.

Welcome Mrs.D...they are very hard to quit once you start but the ladies are great and its lots of fun.

Tabby...cant wait to see what you come home with...i am going to love having new walmarts to go to.

Robyn...wow you are moving right along...cant wait to see it.

Cara,Cara,Cara...its getting harder and harder to decide.You are super :hug

Julie

Will send you a PM on the ones im doing.I love the Photo Friday because it makes me do more so that i have some to show.

Ok im doing the Casablanca already and im up to row 11...then i ran out of Buff and haven't had a chance to get my DH to go to town...then Cara had to go and post the baby gingham,soooo....im doing that one to now in purples for my Gracie Baby...its so cute :c9

Well, I went looking for yarn today for Casablanca. I found 3 shades that would work well together in LionBrand Wool-Ease, but I didn't buy it because I want to check out the yarn in some other stores first. What do you think of using Wool-Ease? I've used it for hats and scarves and loved it, but I never made an afghan with it.

I was also considering TLC Essentials. Has anyone had any experience using that?

Hi, all. I finally made it on the computer. :compute I had to change my password last night and I forgot what I changed it to! :bang Arrrrggghh! Dumb, dumb, dumb. :thair Love the additions to the pattern options, but I'm still in love with the purple pinwheels. Hopefully I will at least have the yarn picked out by Friday. It will probably be in earth tones, but I have to see what colors are availabe, to be sure which ones.:shop

I hope there's no time limit on this because I'm spastic.

But I'm in.

I'm going to make Clay's Choice crochet quilt in much the same colors pictured on the website. All I need is a million miles of yarn!

:cheer

Wendy - the 50 book challange is here. 50 Book Challenge 2007!

I haven't decided what I'm doing yet but my sister looked them over tonight and picked out 2 that I had thought about so I guess I'm narrowed down to the purple pinwheel or woven blocks:think . This will be for my mom and I'll have to figure out colors yet. I'm not good at doing the colors :D I'm thinking something in the green family since most of what I've been doing is pink or purple.:hook

Morning, all ~

Shay - Grace should love the purple baby gingham-- that pattern is really cute .

Jane- Wool-ease is a nice yarn for afghans, as is TLC -they should both work out great . They have a nice slection of different color choices too .

Linda- I've done that before on web pages with a password -- changed it then I can't remember what it is . I had to start writing them down . :)

Jules -WELCOME ! It's great to meet a new person and nope, there's no time frame to get it done-- you just work at your own pace .

Heather- greens sound pretty- they are my favorites .

Wendy- I see Heather has already sent you the info about the Book challenge. It's just a little contest you have with yourself to see if you can read 50 books by year's end .

Morning Julie how are you today. I have just watched the start of 24. Kiefer Sutherland is in it, he is such a spunk.

I have done some squares on my casablanca but havent put another row on yet.

Heather - Thanks for the info on the book challenge. I love reading so I will probably join. I have read one book this year so far.

Welcome to all the newcomers.

Morning Wendy and Tabby

Wendy, my husband watches 24, but I've never seen it before . He never misses it .

It sounds like you are continuing progress on your Casa-- good for you !

Tab- Okey- doke, no big rush, whenever you decide will be just fine .

Archived