Our House [Archive 1]

idagammy

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh, I've never joined a CAL before, and I made an afghan 4 years ago that had hundreds of little squares and swore I'd never do another.

BUT...Cara, your designs are amazing and gorgeous :cheer and, even though I have 3 WIPS right now, I might just have to join this.

Julie, thanks for starting this CAL. I love so many of the designs, but I think Casablanca is my favorite, so that's the one I'll do. Tomorrow I'll go shopping for the yarn.:)

Hey there Wendy- it sounds strange that school is just starting up over there for you guys, where the year is half over here .

Keep up with that Casablanca-- you have a good head start on a lot of us by having several squares done on it already .

I will be doing the woven blocks- I think it is so pretty . :)

Karin- I can't wait to see the one you are doing ! I like it a lot too -- it'll be very pretty. Will you be doing it in baby yarn or ww ? And will you use those same colors or do you have others in mind ?

Jane- welcome to your very first CAL . You will be addicted to them and unable to stop now ! Once I joined ONE, I was sunk and haven't quit since then ! You are in good company with the Casablanca-- there are others who are also working on that so you will have some pals to keep you company !

Julie, Julie, Julie. What are we going to do with you? Is this the 3rd or 4th cal you've started since the bedspread cal? :devil I've never done one in little squares, but your joining method does sound a lot easier than whipstitching them together. Aaaaannnddd, since I've given up on the Greenbrier bedspread, maybe I should try out one of these. I need to make something for Kim to snuggle in when she's sitting in the chair all day. The purple pinwheels crochet quilt is the one that really caught my fancy. I printed the pattern up right after seeing it. I think it would work up really well for her bedroom when done in gold, beige, and browns. I'm in.:hook

Leah

It must be a real blessing to have such a big family ! I wish you all the luck in the world to get busy on your afghans-- you have a lot to make, but if you have plenty of free time, you'll be able to accomplish your goals .

Linda

I have lost track of how many CAL's I have started total since joining up here in the ville. I've been a member for close to 2 years now and done lots of CALS. This is my favorite area of the whole place, so it's where I always hang out . I'm glad you are in with us on this one- I enjoy your posts in our BS area . It sounds like you have definitely chosen your pick, plus your colors. Can't wait to see these start coming to life !

Pam- yes, it looks like you have chosen a good one .:) We'd ALL better get our hooks smoking soon, right ?

i must finish my work on the bs`s i`m working on to start this one

i fell in love with the casablanca

mad city crocheter

i wish you`ll finish them all i wish for you the best of luck :)

Julie - yes its a brand new year for the kids at school. Kelly is doing year 7, I cant believe she will be in high school next year. where has the time gone. She will be 13 this year which means in 3 years time she can get her drivers licence.:eek

What colors are you doing the woven blocks and are we having photo friday in this cal as well.

Cara, I saw your love letters quilt that you are doing and it looks beautiful.

I showed my mum today the quilt patterns and I told her to pick one pattern out and I will make it for her birthday(August). She has chosen the Amish Basket pattern and told me to surprise her with the colors. I thought I might do hers in caron simply soft yarn. Do you think this brand would be ok. I have seen heaps of it on ebay america.

I ADORE the Casablanca:c9

As you can see in my siggy I want to make it. Once I get the cat quilt assembled, then I'll start on the Casa. I need to complete at least one thing with little squares or I'll go batty:eek ...and run out room for my multiple projects.

I'll have to start rotating my creations in the house decor since I don't think I'll be able to part with any:D

Morning Wendy !

Yep, I think we'll do photo Friday in here as well . That will keep us all inspired . I doubt I'll have much to show this week for this area, since I am working hard to get that PS done and HOPE to have it completed this week .

My colors will be claret, country rose and white for this one .

The quilt your mom picked is sure a pretty one . I guess I'll throw in my 2 cent's about Caron SS - my opinion may not be real popular, because I think the majority of people like SS yarn a lot . I like it for baby items and scarves, hats, etc because of its softness .

Now here's where the BUT comes in :

I used it for my ATW quilt-ghan and say it did LOOK nice . I guess I have 2 main complaints with it :

1- it splits while working with it, since it's not nearly as SOLID a yarn as RH is .

2- Weaving in ends with this is a nightmare . I could leave a tail 2 feet long , weave it in so it seems more secured than a spiderweb, then, BAMMO, pick up the afghan, the tail starts sliding out. Move the afghan, another tail . I just think for a project with a LOT of ends to weave in that it'd be a huge pain to KEEP the ends woven in .

Now, to finish, I am not saying this in ANY way to offend those of you that like it . It IS a dream to work with as far as ease-- it is so soft and slippery, it's easy for it to slide on and off the hook . They do have pretty colors . I know a lot of ladies here MUCH prefer SS over RH ,so I am certainly not saying this to offend any of you. Different Strokes for Different Folks, as they say .

I just don't care for it when you are making something that has LOTS of ends to weave in .

Judi - it seems the Casa is very popular ! You should have a nice sized group to work on this with . I think there are 4 or 5 others who chose that one too . Once we get rolling in here, I'll make out a list for page one, name off each afghan on Cara's page , then make a list of names under each one so you know who is in your "group" and working on the same one as you .

:)

Good morning folks,

Almost time for all these people to get out of the house so I can crochet :hook:D

Wendy, I have to say I agree with Julie here. I tried one of the quilts with the SS once and it really was kinda nasty with all the weaving. Beautiful yarn tho absolutely lucious, but I stick with it for "line/row" type afghans.

Another drawback of the SS in this application is that you tend to lose some detail in the pattern. If you want the FO to have a sharper, "quiltier" look it's just not an option with the SS, imho.

But like Julie said, no offense meant here to anyone :D I love the SS, too but for the quilts I really would recommend a more traditional WW.

Just my :2c:D

Hello everyone, I would love to join you on this. I have been looking for a crochet-along to join. This will be my first. I have been wanting to do an afghan for a while but could never get motivated to do one on my own and this is just the thing to get me started. I crocheted years ago put it down and last year picked it back up along with knitting. I am also taking a quilting class so this will fit in along that nicely. I decided on doing the Casablanca. It will probably take me forever with all of the other wips I have. Time to go yarn shopping.:clap

Wow, Donna ! Good for you . You are just moving right along . Can't wait for Photo Friday !

Mrs D - welcome in ! I'm glad you chose our group to sign up for . Yes, the Casa is popular. Do you have any color ideas yet or will you wait til you get to the store and sort them out ?

Hello folks, me again :D

First of all, welcome Mrsddh97 :clap

Okay, I've added four new pieces to the website just now. First one is a full quilt called Semaphore. Then there is a Lapghan called Do-Si-Do.

And finally, two baby quilts Pretty Gingham and Baby Blocks.

Gosh, I sure hope y'all like 'em :D That makes 6 new since Saturday's regular update. That should keep us busy for a while :yes

Welcome MrsD. Im currently doing the casablanca and it has been so much fun so far.

Cara - How do you do it. More patterns for us to drool over. You are so talented.

Well Ladies you have changed my mind about the SS yarn. I will use red heart or Carnival(local yarn) to do this. I do remember when making my ripple ghan that although it was nice to work with it did split alot and I too can just imagine what it would be like to sc the squares together with this yarn.

Mum has left it up to me to choose the colors for the Amish. So Im still debating what to do, although I should wait till I have done the casa.

Julie - I cant wait to see a pic of how yours is going so far. I might have something to show for friday even though I havent added anymore rows since I last showed the casa on the bedroom cal.

Julie Julie Julie! What am I going to do with you and your ideas? I have always wanted to make a real quilt and when I came across that website I about died and gone to :c9 . Sign me up with this one too. Is there a support group for WIPS AND CAL addictions?:lol

I think I might send mine to you Julie......with a big thank you card for bringing me out of my shell of being too critical of my work....how's that sound??

Cara those are great!! I can't decide which one to try. Maybe I'll wait and see what everybody is doing and pick one that isn't being done by many (ha like that will happen they're all so great) so I don't have to make up my mind myself. lol

Oh, Cara! I LOVE the new patterns:manyheart ...esp the baby quilts:c9 ..Not enough hours in the day for me to do all that I want to do!!

and ...I forget who said it would take a while for her to finish the Casa...I haven't even come close to starting one yet...so we'll all be here for a VERY long time! We're going to get real chummy:hug

Archived