Our House [Archive 1]

idagammy

Morning, everyone. :waving It's raining today, so hopefully, we can stay home and have a day to rest up. :) Having a variety of projects going just seems to be the way it goes. :shrug As soon as my new yarn arrives I'll have the baby cribghan to work on too. I rotate through them, doing a little on first one and then another. The premie afghans and the block are easy to take with me and crochet when I'm at doctor offices, meetings, etc. Then putting things together and the bedspread and full size afghans are easier to do at home while Kim and I are watching movies or I'm off duty on the evenings and weekends.:yes

Athba - It's great that you are going to have the summer off. We all need a break now and then. I always found that it was easier to study and come back fresher after having a break.:school

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow am i behind...

Abtha

So glad you got your yarn and can join us...are you still doing the Casablanca??What colors did you get??

Jackie

I feel for you...we just moved here and it was a pain...good luck and let us know when you get there and that you're ok.

Donna

Cant wait to see it...hope you get it done.

Windy

I don't think i would have had the guts to feed him water but he sure is cute and you're DD is so pretty.I will be 43 in Oct so looks like a few of us are close with birthdays.

Julie

Love the new avatar :rofl and :bday.Hows Cam??I know he gets sick alot in the winter.

Welcome to the new ladies..its a great group of ladies here and lots of fun....you must beware of Cara though...she sits up at night putting these patterns together just to make us suffer...shes evil that way :devil but we love her :hug

Im doing good and have done a ton on my rail fence...cant wait for photo Friday :woo

Have a great day ladies.

Well I finished it this morning. It's now running the test of the washer:scared :worried (we need a nail biting smilie for these moments. :lol ) I decided to take pictures before washing just in case :lol So here it is.

allfinished.jpg

and another view

finishedside.jpg

and a close up of the corner edging.

finishedcorner.jpg

Hi everyone, I just popped in to read the posts and let you know that I tore apart my block and restitched it. It looks so much better! Thanks for all your advice. I also snuck in a little time to make a few squares during lunch at work, but most of my time is being spent getting ready for the big move on Saturday.

I will definitely be back here next week - ready to make those squares.

I must have missed something here. Jackie what was wrong with your block that you had to pull it apart. How are you putting your squares together.

I am going to ask a really silly question here but why do you wash the blanket first before you have even used it or given it to somebody. When you do wash it do you do so in cold water. Told you it was a silly question.

Shay hows it going I see your doing the rail fence. Im doing Lindas version of the rail fence. Im doing it in yellow/oranges.

Donna...that is just gorgeous! You should be proud...feels good to get something like that done, doesn't it!

Wendy, if I am giving it as a present, I want to make sure that it will hold up in the washer and there are no loose ends that slip out. Also, I have dogs and am a smoker but don't smoke when I am crocheting but just wash things for a fresh smell and depending on the yarn you use to soften it up. I usually wash in warm water but that really depends on the yarn you are using, I just follow the recommendations on the yarn. Washing also helps with the shaping and if you need to block it you will know after washing and drying.

Shay- I turn 43 in October too.

I'm 20 little squares away from getting my Do Si Do assembled and ready to edge.

Donna - that turned out so pretty. I'm trying to keep myself under control from trying to do them all.

lol Judi, yep I made it for my MIL. She loves the Ohio Star quilt so that's why I made that design. Plus it matches her living room which is blues.

Wendy, I wash it for two reasons, the first is to make sure it will stand through the washing (I know a silly reason but hey it makes me feel better), also it softens the blanket, and to get any hairs or such it has gotten laying on the couch while it was being made. So I guess it was three reasons. I do wash in cold but I wash everything in cold water. I also throw it in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet.

It almost passed the washing test. :lol I have a few parts that have to be fixed but not as bad as I had thought.

Donna

That turned out so pretty and im sure you're MIL will love it.Now what are you makeing??

Windy

We seem to have the same taste in design just different colors...im using sages and buff.Dont worry...i was going to ask the same thing about washing...i never do that....i do throw it in the dryer with a dryer sheet thow.

Heather

yay...cant wait to see it....what day is you're birthday?

Shaylen, I'm going to make the Ohio Variant next. I'm not sure of the colors yet. I also don't know when I'll start it. I'll probably start collecting the yarn next payday. I won't be making that one as fast though, since I need to make a blanket for my oldest's teacher too. I'm also thinking of trying the Prairie Star blanket too for the crochet a quilt CAL. But I may be biting off way more than I can chew :lol For sure the Ohio Variant is next in this CAL though. I am thinking of sage, a type of red and a really light brownish color too. I'm thinking of having it match my living room.

Oh Donna! That came out fabulous!!! :clap:woo:clap Can I put that photo up on the site in the Gallery? Heck, that came out so great I'd like to put it with the pattern, too!! :manyheart

Yep, yep, always a good idea to wash them afterward to see if/where they come apart. Don't want any nasty surprises popping up :D

Again, great job...I'm so proud of you :manyheart

After a really long day, I decided to play on Dale...that's my Dell with DH's Texas accent. :manyheart

I went to Cara's website and looked at all the wonderful patterns for the first time in a while. Can you believe this CAL started less than a month ago and we're on post #740?

Cara ~ Do you have a favorite pattern? :)

After a really long day, I decided to play on Dale...that's my Dell with DH's Texas accent. :manyheart

I went to Cara's website and looked at all the wonderful patterns for the first time in a while. Can you believe this CAL started less than a month ago and we're on post #740?

Cara ~ Do you have a favorite pattern? :)

Wow, you know, I've never been asked that before. Nor have I ever even thought about it. I love them all really. And for different reasons.

Blackford because it was the first. Casablanca because DH claimed it for his own. He's very hard to impress so that really meant a lot to me :manyheart But I think I like Amish Basket most of the quilts. Especially using the original RH Burgundy Fiesta. They discontinued the color and I can't figure out why :no. It was a gorgeous yarn and really made that quilt sing.

I have a question i'm not sure how to ask so i took photos of it.. every time I crocheted those Bi color squares I end up with a string from when i change colors problem is it is on the "Right side" of my work instead of the "Wrong side" .. my question i guess is which side do i use to put the afghan together or am i doing this wrong? I included pictures and the red circles are to show you where the string is on the right side and how the "wrong side " is perfect any help would be great before i start putting together the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rows..

crochet.jpg

Donna - your blanket looks gorgeous! I only hope mine turns out half as good.

Aussie - When I put my squares together for the first block, I had holes at the corner of each square. I just wasn't sewing over far enough on each square. Also, I found out either I wasn't holding my squares together correctly or wasn't using a correct tension on the wool and when I did the whipstitching it was coming out looking really sloppy. I think it looks alot better now and will try to take a picture tomorrow so you can see the difference.

Tami - I was just using my crochet hook and pulling the end through to the back and then weaving it in.

Julie~The kiddos are off this week. I have NO clue why i'm up. I woke up at 4 something freezing & couldn't get back to sleep so I finally hopped in the shower around 5:45 & here I am now. :eek All the kids are still sleeping too & usually my one son is up at 5, wouldn't that figure? :lol

Archived