Do you crochet in the summer heat?

I will make smaller projects or even like last summer...I worked on 6x9 rectangles for HAP for the troops. you can find the thread here the great thing about this is that the afghans are washed before they are gifted so i fel a bit better about crocheting them while outside.and it is a great little thing to take anywhere...just a pattern template, yarn and your hook or choice

If there is yarn.. a hook... and a project to be made.. I'm crocheting! Weather will not stop me! :hook

:heart

:mug

I don't like to crochet in the summer time. Not because of the temperature, but there is so much to be done outside that I don't want to spend the summer sitting in a chair. There is yard work, gardening, swimming, picnics in the park and when you throw housework in there too there isn't much crochet time left. I will do a small project here and there like a purse or some kitchen items but that is about it.

I used to switch to counted cross stitch projects in the summer, but the last five years or so I've gotten so totally hooked on crochet (no pun intended :lol) that it doesn't matter what season it is, I've got a crochet project going. Our weather down here in South Texas is HOT already, and I'm working on an afghan in worsted weight acrylic and a large filet piece in size 10 crochet cotton. I either dip in the pool to cool off and then sit by the pool and crochet. That way if I start to heat up again I can re-dip and cool off again. In our apartment, we just keep the A/Cs cranked up as high as they'll go. If I had to pay the electric bill I might feel differently, but since I don't have to worry about it, I keep it nice and cold inside. :)

I especially love to crochet in the summer - I sit out on the patio in the evening after work and crochet. I have some neighbors that either come over or stay on their patio and we all talk back and forth. Sometimes we have a glass of wine together.... all the while I am crocheting.

It gives us all a chance to see each other, chat and I still get my "work" done.

Year-round :crocheting here! I don't make alot of 'ghans, but this year I will be starting one (next week mostly likely) for a late-summer wedding gift...otherwise I save 'ghans for cooler seasons. oh well :P Summer usually gets smaller projects, or lighter ones...even summer wearables are small and light enough to work on. :D Afghans are typically the one thing I avoid making in the summer.

One of my favorite summer crochet tips though, is to keep a small/travel size container of baby powder nearby. dust some on your hands and you won't stick to your hook :) as the powder absorbs the moisture :) (if you get the humidity, like we do...you may have to use this trick several times in one crochet session :P)

There are people who don't crochet all year? Oh the horrors...:hot

I make a lot of scarves & hats this season, because as soon as fall hits I'll need to start selling them. It's just like any other business you need to prepare a least a season ahead.

This year I'm also knitting socks, 1 pair for me & another pair for a Christmas present. I figure by December I might be close to finishing the first one. :D

I travel a lot more in summer, and if I can get someone else to drive the car that's hooking time.

I usually switch to smaller items. Unless I have to do an afghan for gift I didn't think I needed (wedding coming up quickly). If I do, sometimes I'll do squares and then put them together. Or find a quick one to make.

I've been hooked on crocheting socks lately and I'll be making a bunch of those for winter and when the a/c is a bit cool. I don't have much else planned but I will always find something to crochet:hook

I don't change the type of projects that I make, I just turn the fan. No AC in our house, so the fans are always in place. Sometimes I have to fight the dogs for the space infront of the fan.

If I get to busy in the mornings, I will put my crochet projects off for a while. But usually, by 10 or 11 am, it's too hot and sticky for me to be outdoors and active. That's when I retreat to my office, put on the fan, and crochet. Sometimes I'll do it in the living room, so I can watch tv while I work, if it's a pattern I'm familiar with. And I'm just about always working on something in the evenings, while DH and I sit out on the little patio or in the bedroom. I have a VERY long list of things to complete by Christmas, and I keep getting distracted by grandbabies who want things!

Annies Attic free pattern today has a mile a minute afghan, which is prefect for take along afghans for summer. I've done those too. One of my first afghans was a mile a minute.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for pointing that one out!

I'd be tempted to change the colors. I think that one would look really nice with one color being varigated and the others being complimentary colors. :crocheting

Some people live where it's so hot that it's impossible to run the AC all day long~I'm one of those people. Our days get up to 115-120. NO WAY do I crochet much in the summer. For the last two years we didn't even have AC. Even at night it never gets below 100 degrees for about four LONG months. And it's humid too! Nah, I won't be crocheting for a while. I haven't even wanted to really. I've been working on plastic canvas though. If I ran my AC all the time it would cost at least 300 dollars.

i have to admit i dont care what the weather is outside..i am a stay inside kinda gal..i dont stand the heat very well..so i am in the a/c. i am never without my hooks and something to work on.

Archived