Wrapping up a huge afghan??

I just finished an afghan for a friend's birthday this weekend. How do you guys wrap up and present something as big as an afghan? I want to make it look extra special for her so would love some ideas. :hook

If its a housewarming gift or wedding gift, a large tote with a large bow or ribbons on top would be good. Solves your wrapping problem, and the recipient gets some extra storage!

A box from copier paper is great for an afghan. You can line it with tissue and then put the blanket inside. Wrap up the box and put a bow on it and you are done.

I have done this many times and it works well.

:manyheart

I think I'm going to crochet some flowers to go on the package (good idea!) and I'll put it in a large gift bag. So easy yet I never thought of it! :think Then I've got to box it up to ship it. The party was supposed to be this weekend but I found out last night that it got canceled. :( I'll see her in April or May but I don't want to make her wait that long for the present so I'll ship it to her. Thanks for the ideas! :hook

I was going to also say a large gift bag but if thats not big enough try to get a nice box that you can decorate. The large zip loc bag is not a bad idea. You can decorate it with ribbons and they they will have a storage bag for it.

Sometimes I just enjoy folding up the afghan nicely and wrapping a large bow around the afghan itself. Afghans are so pretty and special that they provide their own "wrapping."

This is what I sometimes do too. If you get wide wired ribbon I think it looks really nice.

I used to put it into a box and wrap the box. However, I saw an add like this (see link below) and since then, make box pillow shams for storage. It's up to the recipient whether they want to use it as a pillowcase or as storage (or both - a pillow when afghan is in use and storage when not). After making the first one, later ones took only about 2-3 hours to make. Don't feel obligated to do this though -I'm a quilter with WAY too much fabric stash and was trying to come up with useful ways to reduce the stash.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod32890092&ecid=NMCIGoogleBaseFeed&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=H1CUE

Instructions for one with a zipper. You don't have to have a zippered one.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4500534_make-pillow-case-box-pillow.html

I use one of those HUGE Ziploc storage bags. That way, the person has somewhere to store it, if need be.

ditto that i also like to use the large baggies as well then the whole bit goes into a large gift bag and i try to match the color of the afhan as close as possible

• 2 weeks later...

How big is the afghan? Is it a full sized one, or more like a lap afghan? I just finished a baby afghan for my goddaughter's baptism tomorrow, and found this really neat gift box on sale at Target today. If you want to spend the extra few bucks, decorative paper mache (sp?) boxes are really cool too. Then they have additional storage, whether they want to keep the afghan in it or something else.

I love the box I got for my goddaughter :) It has pink, purple, and gold butterflies on the top, and I had made her a baby quilt for when she came home from the hospital so it all ties in together!!!

Sometimes i take remaining yarn, a couple of strands together, and tie a bow 4 ways across it. Other times i'll chain the remaining yarn, and then tie the 4 way bow. The majority of my recipients will use the chained bow/rope to tie around the afghan when they fold it up again (i automatically inform recipients how to do that, as an option to keep it from 'sliding apart" so much when folded). It works well to hold it together, creates a 'pillow' at the same time.

Wow, I like the idea of tying (tie-ing?) afghans so they won't slid arond when storing them ... why didn't I think of that?!?!

Usually when I wrap afghans I put a layer of tissue paper in the middle and start folding it, and add tissue paper every time I fold it and the yarn will be touching other yarn. I make the afghan a little more sturdy and it holds its form better in the box, bag or wrapping paper. Then I will line the box or bag with a little more tissue before I wrap it. It might seem like a bit too much tissue, but looks pretty once it's all together. I stock up on white tissue paper after Christmas, but have some of the coloured stuff too.

I've been toying with the idea of folding the afghan (as described above) and leaving the outside unwrapped, so you can see the pattern. Then cutting a piece of cardboard the same size as the folded afghan and wrapping just the carboard in wrapping paper. Then setting the afghan on top of the carboard base and using basket wrap with a lot of ribbon to gather the basket wrap .... I haven't actually done it yet because I usually make baby-ghans and include other things with the afghan ... it's just a thought but might work well. It seems a bit flashy for me, but I am getting better at building baskets and wrapping presents to have that "WOW" factor thanks to a home-based business.

Hmm ... do you think we could start a thread/section of with pics of how we wrap things up? ..

Fran :o)

Some great ideas here! I like the idea of combining three of them, starting with Fran's idea of layering with tissue paper (to add body to the package) in colors that coordinate with the color(s) of the afghan, wrapping in clear cellophane to allow the afghan to show, and topping off the whole thing with an idea from another thread where someone crocheted a chain and added a crocheted flower that also complemented the afghan style and colors. Anyhow, thanks, everybody! That's what I'm doing with my next gift afghan. Better, I think, than dumping the whole thing into a large gift bag, as I've done in the past -- taking away the fun of unwrapping.

And, I love the idea of starting a thread with photos of gift-wrapped afghans. It may be a while before I have one to photograph, so I hope someone else will start it.

I wrap wedding gifts in bath or dish towels depending on how big the gift is and use and extention cord for the ribbon and get kitchen gadgets to pin on top for the bow. Baby gifts I use receiving blanket and diaper pins to hold it together and pin bibs and such to the top. Its a big hit because no one else does it:yes

Archived