What do you buy with Crochet Money?

So I was wondering with this whole economic decline and all if everyone started to spend less on crochet stuff: yarn, patterns, supplies.

So what do you normally use your crochet money to buy? And have you started to spend less?

As for me, all my money goes to yarn and I don't think the economy has changed the way I spend.

I'm very curious to see what everyone says! :)

Well, I'm trying to save by using stash as much as possible. I recently bought two cro-hooks for the online class here at Crochetville, but I haven't bought much else lately.

It's hit me. I'm not buying yarn as much. It's got to be on sale or clearance and I have to have an immediate project in mind. I don't think I've spent more than $10 on yarn this year so far. Er, wait, there was that one little impulse buy, so it's more like $25. It could have something to do with finally getting my stash organized and realizing I don't need any more yarn. LOL There's lots of yarn in there I forgot I had and don't remember what I was going to make with it. It's almost like having gone yarn shopping! Well, almost anyway. :hook

I actually am buying more yarn as I am working on a hat & scarf project for my sister-in-laws school for fall. This is the time of year I get overtime so I'm taking advantage of sales and overtime to purchase it but that is something I always have done. I'm either trying to use my stash for charity projects or give it away if someone who can't afford it right now needs it. My problem currently due to working so much is finding time to get to the post office when it is open to mail stuff out!!!!

I am using stash and only buying yarn if I am out of a specific color or type to finish a project. I always check out clearance, but again will only buy if it is a color I am low on. My pattern books are usually from clearance, free on net, or something I am really in love with. When at craft store, sometimes things jump into my cart, but by the time I get to cash register, I have convinced myself that I don't really need it and send them back to the shelf.

I have saved money, especially if I stay away from ACM, and all those mill ends.

I very rarely get to spend actual cash on yarn but I ask for gift cards at every birthday and Christmas. Mostly I buy yarn but sometimes I will buy a new book, hook, purse handles, or polyfil. The last couple of years have been hard on my family so I am spending less but it's not because of the economy, I just had a lot of bad things happen at once. But it looks like this year will be the start of my return to yarn shopping!

I still buy whatever I want when it comes to my crochet items. But I do buy on sale, online for books and yarn and patterns at a discount, usually with no tax and free shipping. While the economy has hit all of us, I am just continuing the way I always did, so it has been easy for me, which is to buy on sale and clearance as much as I can and to budget and watch my spending. My motto is to get the most I can for the least amount of money and I do very well with that.

LI Roe

I always try to buy yarn on sale and stock up then for several patterns. This way if I want to work on something I don't have to pay full price. I haven't actually bought any pattern books yet since I found so many free patterns online. This helps so I have more money for yarn. I just always try to stay within my budget when I'm out shopping.

I bought three of those big 10ish ounce Bernat Berella skeins at 50% off for less than $3.50 each. I made a Shawler with them. As for yarn, I have definitely got to stick to my stash. Thankfully I pretty much only do really small projects that take less than 1/2 skein because I don't have more than 1 skein of anything. My small projects involve brain surgery patient caps, dish cloths for the domestic violence shelter, etc so I only need small quantities. SO I'm thankful I can get a lot done for my charity project with my small stash so all is well.

In a nutshell, my stash is small, variety is limited, but I am not complaining. I have to work out of my stash from here on out, but that's ok by me simply because of the state of the economy.

Almost always yarn, but I like to buy hooks too. I haven't bought any yarn since sometime last Fall when I found three small skeins of an interesting sage/olive/cream variegated yarn at the Big Lots and made myself a scarf out of it. I am working from my stash which really is made up primarily of clearance and great deal online yarns. If I found a great sale of yarn somewhere I know I would have to get it, but I'm not really looking right now. My storage space for yarn is somewhat limited and that space is full. I would feel guilty right now if I were to spend any significant amount on yarn. Although I think the most I've ever spent at one time was around $50.00.

I have really cut back on the spending for crochet.:( But when someone gives me a gift card, I can do what I want with that.

My neighbor bought me one at Christmas, and I still have about 14 bucks on it. It's from HL. Looking for a good clearance sale to use it up.:)

I do get books from the library, and the group I am involved in gets yarn donated, so I do use that too.:)

Plus, I do have a PRETTY GOOD SIZED STASH, so that will keep me busy until the economy straightens out, I hope.

:manyheart

Actually I am trying to find patterns and yarn on sale so I can stock up before the economy really gets worse. So I'll be able to make blankets, shawls, hats, slippers, etc... For my family and hopefully to sell.

Hope economy can rebound.

:juggle

I stock up on Caron Simply Soft yarn when I am running low when Michael's has it 2 for $5, because I love it for baby items, but but other than that, I am trying to stop purchasing yarn, and use what I have (3 plastic drawer carts full...yikes...no more Michael's or Hobby Lobby for me for a long time), I have a full set of hooks, and I tend to make up my own patterns or get some for free online.

I never spend more than 10 dollars every two weeks on crochet/knitting related items. My mom likes to get me supplies to make things for her to give as gifts to her friends. I'm expecting a package tomorrow which has a couple skeins of yarn and she bought me double pointed needles so I can finally make this one sock pattern for myself....sorry got off track. But yeah, never more than $20 a month.

• 1 year later...

I've been spending about $20 a month but only buying for projects that I have been wanting to do. I also save every bit of left over yarn so when my projects are all finished I can make a scrap afghan:)

I am buying more, I do try to buy on sale and with JoAnns coupons, but I give to the Chemo center at the hospital and also do babyghans and hats for the hospital so I am still buying lots....I also have to order, online, my thread so have been ordering thread lately...got a bunch of new patters...Thanks Anna, and so have been getting thread for those....

• 5 months later...

The majority of my crochet money goes to yarn. Occasionally I'll buy a new hook. I haven't bought a pattern in quite some time. I check at Big Lots and similar places to see if they have any. I cleaned them out of Lion Suede when they had it for $1.50 a ball.

I still buy patterns, especially if I can get a good buy on out print ones that I am looking for online or at local sales.

I try to limit myself to buying yarn when it it is a good sale price. I have "buy" prices for specific brands and try not to buy until it reaches that price unless I am stuck trying to finish a project. I try to plan projects around the stash I have although I just found a great price on yarn and got free shipping for a project I am starting for Christmas. The colors were not something I could find locally and I had nothing close in my stash.

Archived