Has anyone had a hard time with learning a new stitch

Ok just wondering has anybody ever had a hardtime learning a new stitch? I know I have I'm learning to do the magic adjustable ring quite frustrating but I'll keep trying plus make some scarves and hats in the meantime

I had a hard time with the magic adjustable ring too. I still don't think I have right either. I've also had a hard time with the more complex stitches like the front and back post, and there are many I haven't even tried yet! :O Lots of uncharted territory I haven't covered ;)

Ok just wondering has anybody ever had a hardtime learning a new stitch? I know I have I'm learning to do the magic adjustable ring quite frustrating but I'll keep trying plus make some scarves and hats in the meantime

While I can do it, I do not like using it. It's only purpose is to keep from having a hole at the start.

So I do something like a chain 4, join with a slip stitch and work in that, working over the tail so I can pull it tight and work it back in so I have no hole :)

There are a lot of great things to learn, don't let one frustrate you and stop you from making something! :)

You can do anything! :cheer

There's a video clip on-line for everything. I'd say do a search and see if you can find something. I find that's the best way for me to learn a new stitch--watching it over and over again and then trying it.

You are right about the Bullion stitch. I can do one or two but I don't have the right hook either. It is so pretty tho.

I have been using the Magic Ring for months and only use it anymore altho I am still clumsy with it. The only way to get the stitches right is to stick with them. Just ask me haha.

While I can do it, I do not like using it. It's only purpose is to keep from having a hole at the start.

So I do something like a chain 4, join with a slip stitch and work in that, working over the tail so I can pull it tight and work it back in so I have no hole :)

There are a lot of great things to learn, don't let one frustrate you and stop you from making something! :)

You can do anything! :cheer

That's how I do it too!!! Have not been able to do the magic ring yet with out making a knot, LOL

Bullion stitch and I never have gotten to be friends. We sat on the sofa side-by-side and had little talks but just didn't cozy up to each other.

Oh yes, the dreaded Bullion, that's another one I can't get the hang of yet. I tried it again the other day and nope still not in the cards for me, LOL.

Interesting enough, I was using the magic ring without even knowing it! I just decided one day to try something other than a slip knot and came up with something I liked. Later I kept seeing references to a magic ring. When i read about it I realized that was something I all ready did!

yes, some stitches are tough! I had to adapt the loop stitch to make it work for myself. I cannot follow instruction on that stitch and make it work!

I still haven't figured out the love knot stitch. It just isn't worth it and I've been crocheting for 30 years!

This is what I usually do also, just a little easier for me than the loop.

Bullion stitch and I never have gotten to be friends. We sat on the sofa side-by-side and had little talks but just didn't cozy up to each other.

:lolVery funny!

I was able to do the magic adjustable ring several times with help from the video at Nexstitch or Crochet Cabana or maybe it was from the directions in the back of a Magic Crochet magazine...forget which, but when I went to do it a month or so later without instructions, I couldn't do it. That was frustrating. Will have to figure it out again some time.

Beverly

• 2 weeks later...

I love using the magic ring and the other day I went to use the reg. start and forgot how. lol. I finally got it. I am still clumbsy with the magic ring but I love it.

This is true for me too. I have tried and tried. There was an excellant way that someone came up with to do it but I havent tried it yet. You use a pen cap. Theres a video for it. so far its been the hardest stitch for me to do.

4y2RwP8DcQ+d6rT9ATiAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

This is true for me too. I have tried and tried. There was an excellant way that someone came up with to do it but I havent tried it yet. You use a pen cap. Theres a video for it. so far its been the hardest stitch for me to do.

Wow, I've not heard of that one yet. :eek Thank goodness! :think

Rachell presented us with this wonderful new stitch on Saturday and I cannot seem to understand what the writer is saying. and the pic doesn't help either :(

http://freevintagecrochet.com/how-to-crochet/newport-stitch

has anyone figured it out?

I will post in the help section as well as this looks veddy, veddy interesssssting. :wlol

I love and prefer the Magic Ring. I make it with one wrap around the finger, some make it with two wraps. For any that would like to learn how to make a Magic Ring, below is a link to a simple and clear video tute:

:)

Rachell presented us with this wonderful new stitch on Saturday and I cannot seem to understand what the writer is saying. and the pic doesn't help either :(

http://freevintagecrochet.com/how-to-crochet/newport-stitch

has anyone figured it out?

I will post in the help section as well as this looks veddy, veddy interesssssting. :wlol

I have seen this done, It really isn't that hard once you understand the logic behind it, basically the stitches are going down one (single crochet), two ( double crochet) or three ( treble crochet) rows below instead of going up. Very interesting stitch, don't you think.

The polish star or star stitch always frustrated me with only diagrams,until

I saw tjw's youtube video, now I am a star champ .

I concur she is fab..I am a fan, :cheer she will get you though the solomon knot/love knot too lol/ I think she does a whole baby dress out of it..her video's are clear , close up, concise, and even goes in slow motion at times..

Saw a vid on bullion stitch where the crafter winds the yarn around the thumb rest so the holes are bigger then moves them down and makes the stitch with a sc to bind it \she said to keep your hook end down while pulling through ,it was a 10X wind..she was not using the bullion hook, looked to be just a plain ole boye..Have not seen this pen method anyone have link?

one other stitch that gets me is that box one where you make box then twist it somehow to make the next one and so on and so on mine just turn into a jumbled mess ..I will get it someday :dog

I did this magic circle thing the other day on a hat but I didnt know what it was called. It was kinda weird but it worked out just fine. I've never tried the buillion stitch and I dont think I am going to.

I too had trouble with that ring, but now that I have it figured out, I don't think I'll ever NOT use it when making a round.

I tried to do the sweet pea stitch from a little purple book called "30 Easy-to-Crochet" and it just confused me. I couldn't understand how to start the next row, and it just didn't look right. Not to mention I messed up the number of stitches by adding 28 + 28 wrong.. whoopsy

I too had trouble with that ring, but now that I have it figured out, I don't think I'll ever NOT use it when making a round.

I tried to do the sweet pea stitch from a little purple book called "30 Easy-to-Crochet" and it just confused me. I couldn't understand how to start the next row, and it just didn't look right. Not to mention I messed up the number of stitches by adding 28 + 28 wrong.. whoopsy

I just bought that book this weekend to learn some new stitches. Figured I'd turn 'em into dishcloths. :hook Haven't tried anything from it yet.

Elise

Archived