Thread Butterflies

MimiFL

Here are some butterflies I made for Christmas. I always have a special Christmas project I send to friends and coworkers. 2008 was the year of the buttefly (see my butterfly doily in the doily section). :D

A couple of reasons why this became my 2008 Christmas project. One, for some reason this year, I didn't find any Christmas stuff I liked (and could finish in time), so I was struggling to find a Christmas project. I had seen those butterflies in a book before, and being frustrated with the whole lack of inspiration for the Christmas project, I decided to try them in thread, just for kicks. I loved how they came out and decided they would be just the thing for Christmas - small (i.e. easy to carry and work on during lunch, and small enough to fit in an envelope), quick (about an hour each), easy, and with tons of possible color combinations!

Two, it so happens I had purchased a number of balls of thread from ThreadArt.com about a month earlier because they were having a 'no shipping' sale. I like their thread and had decided to get 6-7 balls in random colors, as a treat to myself. At the time, I had no idea what to do with them, but when I saw the butterflies, there was no doubt!

I used those colors repeatedly, mixing and matching as I went. Some of the butterflies had colors that were more meaningful than others - dark colors for the guys, purple for those people whose favorite color is purple, green and yellow for USF fans, pink for new moms, etc. I ended up making 25 altogether. Whew.

Oh, and I had to wing the antennae/bodies (a simple chain, wrapped around, and slip stitched at the top, and then a second antenna), but for the rest, I followed the pattern, except I omitted the last row. I hung a very fine (and I mean really, really fine) nylon thread at the top. This thing is so fine you can hardly see it, it's thinner than a hair.

Hope you like them. :)

thread_butterflies1.jpg

thread_butterflies2.jpg

thread_butterflies3.jpg

thread_butterfly_purple.jpg

Archived