How Many Afghans Realistically

How many afghans do you think someone could make in a year realistically? The patterns aren't too hard a diamond filet, or pineapple or heart filet. They would be a little larger than throw size. I think I could get 20 or so done by next Christmas - they would be for the nurses and CNA's at my grandmother's nursing home. Do you think that is realistic??

It really depends on how fast you crochet and how much time you have to do it. Also, will doing this many blankets cause you to hate crochet?

As far as time estimates... for a regular simple afghan out of a book it takes me approximately 30 hours of crochet time.

It really depends on how fast you can do one. If your average is 2 weeks per afghan, then you probably will make it.

It is a huge undertaking for this kind of project. It will cost a lot of money for yarn, plus your time, energy, and endorance to get through this project. And because it is for so many people, you may want something a bit smaller, like scarves so that you can get it all done.

I think it's a terrific idea for you. We'll be here to :cheeryou on. Good luck. We'd like to see pictures.

:manyheart

Not to mention working full time! Ha! Okay - I guess I'll just work on a few and see where I end up - my nieces also want afghans and there are some patterns I want to try plus charity work - I might be setting myself up to fail! We will just see how it goes!

Don't forget the fantastically wonderful generous friends at the "ville. Those who have put out appeals for help for good causes seem to get the help they're looking for. How about a request for squares? You could get some beautiful blankets put together from squares donated by the generous souls here. Or from some of us looking to rid of our odds and ends yarn and only have enough for squares! :lol

:hookColleen

I find when I set myself up with a time table and deadlines, I start to really dislike crocheting, because it is no longer fun.....it becomes work:eek.........but you might be very different. You're talking between 1.5 to 1.75 afghans a month, can you do that? What about the days when you just DON'T feel like crocheting? (it happens:lol). Well, good luck to you.........hope you can do it!:cheer

I'm pretty prolific. I think the most I pounded out in a year was 18, but I don't go with the really simple patterns so 20 is probably doable. How do you feel about sleeping and eating? :lol

LoL!!

I get super-bored with afghans so I'd be lucky to get 2 done in a year. I made a scrap afghan with 6-inch squares and I got bored so I took a long break and am finally finishing it 6 months later. So I think it really depends on how much time you have to put into them, and if making so many will burn you out from crocheting.

Good luck!

It probably could be done but don't forget about unforseen emergencies or illness that could happen during the year. I also agree about the costs ...... way too much for my budget. I just made 20 sets of potholders for the staff and nurses at the kidney dialysis center where my husband goes three times a week. Everyone wanted a set and were so grateful to have something handmade. Next, I'm crocheting hanging kitchen towels.

I've completed 13 since mid-February and will finish # 14 and # 15 before Christmas. I made one for each member of my family this year, plus other projects along the way. I think that if I had started at the beginning of January and made no other projects in addition to the afghans, I might had been able to do 18 or so.

I wouldn't push myself to do something like this again. I did enjoy making them all, but it was a lot of work. I made them for each person's birthday, and I didn't finish some in time.

Don't forget the fantastically wonderful generous friends at the "ville. Those who have put out appeals for help for good causes seem to get the help they're looking for. How about a request for squares? You could get some beautiful blankets put together from squares donated by the generous souls here. Or from some of us looking to rid of our odds and ends yarn and only have enough for squares! :lol

I absolutely HATE putting squares together - however there have been some good ideas on the 'ville about how to do it so it is not so bad and I'm going to try those be fore I decide not to do this!!

It is a huge undertaking for this kind of project. It will cost a lot of money for yarn, plus your time, energy, and endorance to get through this project.

The money is not a big issue - I'm debt free except for paying off my roof which will be done in July. I budget for Christmas all year long and get overtime January - April. I did scarves two years ago and they can not accept gift cards or $$.

I'm pretty prolific. I think the most I pounded out in a year was 18, but I don't go with the really simple patterns so 20 is probably doable. How do you feel about sleeping and eating? :lol

:lol

If you really have your heart set on it I hope it works out for you. For me it would take a miracle to get 20 done in a year. The most I've done in a year is 3. Understand, I could do more than that if I only ever worked on afghans, but I get bored with them and have to intermittently work on something else and then go back to them. Good Luck!!

It's possible if you don't get bored with the pattern. So far this year I have made 26 prayer blankets that are Christmas gifts and have 2 more to finish before Christmas. I love this pattern and it works up fast for me.

When I was still working, I was a supervisor and often had as many as 12 to 15 workers in my unit. I always gave each of my workers an afghan for Christmas and always had enough for each. I also made Christmas pins for every employee in the agency (about 100) plus doorknob hangers, angels, snowflakes, (sold snowflakes on ebay,) etc. My job was very stressful and I found that crocheting was cheaper than therapy and less disastrous that killing someone (that was a joke) but it was a great stress reliever. Can you tell that I didn't have much of a social life?

Depending on the pattern I can get 3 done a month. Some times more if I do just ripples or round ripples.

:cheer Cheering you on to accomplish what you set out to do!

I could probably do about 10 in a year's time but only if I didn't work on any other projects. I kinda have to skip around for variety. I guess I'm a slow crocheter and I really don't get tons of time to sit down and do it. Oh, just thought of something. I hardly ever work on afghans June-September (too hot) so I wouldn't even make it to 10! :lol

I would think 10 is doable in a yrs time. I concider myself a slow crocheter (due to time constraints, interruptions, etc.... just to show, the "angel wing" shawl that took the designer 1 night to do takes me 3-4 nights). But this since sept, I have enough squares to make put about 8 ghans together (are reasons for the delays, I swear), but, as 1 wmn said, "i don't have much of a social life" lol.

Sandy

If you did lapghan sized throws, I'd say you could get them done. My mom's Project Linus infant blankets measure generally between 2 ft and 3 ft square, and she's already made something like 30 this year. On the other hand, she is retired and crochets every day, and can finish a smaller one in two days (and that includes eating, sleeping, watching TV, and some reading, too). So maybe lapghans instead of fulll-sized afghans?

patty

Isn't there a 5-hour quickie afghan that uses 3-strands of yarn? (Lion Brand web site?) Something like that could be done in a weekend while watching a couple of movies. I thought the 3-strands would be cumbersome & tangly along with the super-big hook, so I used the pattern with 2 strands and a 10.0 or 11.0 hook.

Once-upon-a-time I made 2-strand scrap afghans and probably made about 100 in a year, I worked full-time and had 2 pre-school children - didn't have a spotless house tho. I'd work on them while the kids were playing outside, or when my husband drove us to the grocery store, I'd have a yarn-bag at work & crochet on my breaks (1 hour a day, four days a week, I could make about 3 in a month). I didn't have a "life" but it was tough to get out with the 2 little ones and the younger had a medical condition that I didn't go out unless I had an emergency plan, or we were "close enough" to a hospital/paramedic station - if we couldn't go as a family, we didn't so I spent a lot of time at home. I found the 2-stands I could crochet in the dark (driving home from "town") and that bought me another 2-3 hours a week - I could feel the stitches and put the hook where I wanted. That helped a lot!

If you pick the right pattern or don't mind the double-strand I think it's do-able. If you can crochet in the car while someone else drives that get you oodles of time too. I'd advise you start now & see how it goes, if you can get 10 finished before April/May (too hot in the summer time, "things come up") then you know you have a good chance of finishing before next Christmas ... and yes C'villers always seem willing to help.

Good Luck!

Fran

Archived