Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

Hi everyone! I love all the 'ghans, and the inspired shawls!!! Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

I'm a newly 'serious' crocheter (@ 5 months now - fooled around w/it when I was younger) and I would love the challenge of trying to make that :coo afghan.

So, if someone would be kind enough to share the pattern with me, I'll hunt down some yarn and join the fun!!!

Thanks in advance,

Diva Born

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mostly lurk around here, but I love that afghan. I'm trying to hunt down the pattern without paying an arm/leg for it. Maybe we should lobby for a reprint?

I'm so with you on that note!

AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! :bang

I give up! At least until next payday-- I had NO luck yarn shopping. I paid my car insurance first, then, since I was on that side of town I went to michael's and got the homespun I needed for something else, but I didn't get the red heart there because I knew it was a little cheaper at Wal-mart, so I went to the walmart on that side of town. They had the Mexicana but EACH skein was a DIFFERENT dye lot. OTOH, a nice blue and matching ombre caught my eye for a different WIM, so I bought it:) .

I then started on the trek back to my side of town and the other Wal-mart. On the way there I noticed the LYS my boss had told me about the other day. I knew they probably wouldn't lower themselves to selling RedHeart, but I very rarely get to that side of town, and it wouldn't hurt to just LOOK, I wasn't going to BUY anything....$40 and the perfect yarn for a shawl for my mother later I went on to the other Wal-mart. Where they had NO mexicana. They did have the Gemstone which was plan B, but no green to match...

The thread did cach my eye though, (did you know they make it in ocean? Like the yarn? Pretty....I've been meaning to try thread...) so several steel, hooks, balls of thread and dollars later I escaped wal-mart, trying to decide whether to circle back to Michaels or try the Hobby lobby in Coralville (do they sell redheart? I've never been in a HobbyLobby)

And then the state of my empty wallet :angry and full shopping bags:devil hit me.....

So the Cathedral window will have to wait until next payday...

--SarahC

Torn between Cathedral window frustration and the joy of finding the PERFECT green wool/mohair blend....

Saw this on your post DIVABORN and just had to add to it I Love that Song:manyheart

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,

None but ourselves can free our minds..."

Have no fear of Attomic Energy cause

None of them can stop all the Time

How long shall we kill our Profits

While we stand aside and look

Some say its just a part of it

We've got to fulfill the BOOK...

- Bob Marley, Redemption Song

I have been desperately scouring ebay & ioffer looking for this pattern. No one I know has it & my library library doesn't carry patterns. Has anyone heard or seen it for sale anywhere else? I would love to work on this pattern -it looks like a real challenge!!

Then you MUST be a 'BOB' fan! Love, love, love him!! LOL!! Visited your blog site and your work is beautiful!:clap:nworthy:tup

Saw this on your post DIVABORN and just h ad to add to it I Love that Song:manyheart

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,

None but ourselves can free our minds..."

Have no fear of Attomic Energy cause

None of them can stop all the Time

How long shall we kill our Profits

While we stand aside and look

Some say its just a part of it

We've got to fulfill the BOOK...

- Bob Marley, Redemption Song

I just picked up my afghan again, and decided I want to finish if for my mom's 75th birthday on Sept 17. I hope to get it done by then....of course there's always christmas.

I am currently on the white bobble row...it is so much fun and so easy. I have really enjoyed making this so far!!!:manyheart

well it should come as no suprise to any of you that .. i havent even started this afghan .. UGHHHHHH..

ok .. i am gonna quit stressing but I cant seem to decide what yarn I want.. I am even considering dropping the money on some noro silk garden for this.. i think that would be fabu.. but then I still need two colour variations and then a black for the "outline" and would have to search for a yarn that was similiar to do that .. why do i do this to myself.. why couldnt i just stick to my fishermans wool plan??

tell me?? why do i torture myself so ?

I know that this will be the one and only that i do of this .. so i guess.. i just want to make sure i do it extra NICE !!

Elizabeth, your post made me feel so much better! I haven't started mine either, because ... yeah. I can't decide what yarn I want to use. I actually ordered yarn for it and once I got it and made the first motif, I totally changed my mind. I keep looking and looking, but this is so much work that I want it to be PERFECT, and it needs the perfect yarn to be perfect, and, yeah. I can find one of the two but I can't seem to find two color variations that I love together. So, I keep working on other things while the search continues. I'm so glad I'm not the only one obsessing over this!

wow.. i am not the only one then.. that is what i dont want to do .. order the yarn and not be happy .. so i am taking my time.. and i may go back to the original plan of just dyeing my own if i cant decide soon ..

this is a for me project.. I RARELY do that .. so i am going to spoil me just alittle on this one .. there is no one else in my family or other wise that would appreciate the enormity of this project.. even though they do crochet.. so the search is still on and I will let you all know when i start and what i decide ..

OH! the agony of it all !!

another quick thing too .. is that they o nly give you ounces.. no yardage so .. its hard to find yan substitutes.. because i like to go by yards.. i guess i could try to figure it out cause they probably used like a super saver type yarn .. its just maddening .. when i am trying to find what i need and have no yardage..

I've gotten through 4 or 5 of the triangles on the first round but they hardly look like triangles. I'm hoping it will all work out when I start putting everything together. I have been busy making a housewarming present for a friend. Unfortunately it turned into something unreasonably massive--it's wide enough for a queen size bed! :eek It's a fast ripple but I'm not even half done. I plan on working on this Cathedral window more in September, especially when I have to travel for business. I think making 32 hexagons (or whatever it is) will be a lovely way to fill boring plane trips.:hook

I have pattern in hand (which I'm SOOO excited about! Thank you, Patron Saint of Crocheting:c9 ) & have worn the linoleum out in the yarn section of AC Moore, I have begun!! Hubby thinks I'm nuts & was more than a little worried at the giant bag o'yarn that came in the door this evening...

Like everyone else, this one seems to kicking my tuckus! Whew....I have the octagon & one pentagon done so far & that took me a few hours. I frogged the pentagon a number of times (and, like someone else here who my brain can't recall, I too, ended up with a nine sided octagon!:lol:lol). Not quite sure how I fixed that but I did. Whew.

Also, on rounds 4-5 of the octagon, I think it should say

(Sl st, ch4, dc) in first ch, skip next st, *dc in each st around to next ch-1 sp, (dc, ch1, dc) in next ch-1 sp; skip next dc; repeat from *

(the instructions in red are my suggestions)

The only way I could make the stitch count correct for each round was to skip the dc directly after the dc, ch1, dc corner. (I hope that made sense...lol)

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it, and I'm digging my color choices (I'll post pics as soon as I finish the pentagons in the first section). Let's just say they're "eye catching". I'm making this for me & I wanted something uniquely ME (finally, I'm making something for me:yay)

PS I think this is the coolest thing I've ever crocheted. I've never done a CAL before & I think I love that part the best. I've been involved in other boards & really have gotten disgusted over the politics, infighting & snarking that goes on. I've lurked here for a long time & I've never ever seen that. Thank you everyone for being so very nice & supportive. This board is 'DA BOMB!!!:manyheart

Well, I got lucky and found the pattern, but it's in line behind my mother's Christmas gift...from two years ago.

Can't wait to start though...about how long is it taking? I want to do it for a friend's wedding in April, but I probably won't be able to start until December.

Just a tip: Don't hand a friend/relative your crochet pattern books and tell them to pick an afghan. They will pick the most intricate, time-consuming one.

I hate to admit it, but I haven't started either! I'm still trying to decide what yarn colors to use too. I know I'm using black, but that's about it. I should take some time and go through my stash or go to the stores and check out yarn. I really want to get started on this pattern, so I should see what I can do.

I just love :manyheart this pattern.

I bought it at a Franks Nursary and Crafts a couple of years ago on clearance for about $2.50.

I stashed it away in my closet because the pattern looks so hard to do. :think

Since then, I have been learning more and more about crochet and maybe the time is right to dig it out and actually attempt it.

But I don't know. :scared You, who are all so good at this stuff, are even having probs with it.

It's definately something I want to make, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet.

I just love :manyheart this pattern.

I bought it at a Franks Nursary and Crafts a couple of years ago on clearance for about $2.50.

I stashed it away in my closet because the pattern looks so hard to do. :think

Since then, I have been learning more and more about crochet and maybe the time is right to dig it out and actually attempt it.

But I don't know. :scared You, who are all so good at this stuff, are even having probs with it.

It's definately something I want to make, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet.

Becks, it's a challenge, that's for sure but the stitches that are used aren't exotic or weird-just the basic sc, dc, hdc. The one thing I've found out about the people here @ Crochetville is that someone will always offer to help if you get stuck. It's really a fun pattern to do, honest.

Archived