Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

I made the afghan to donate to an auction benefitting the athletics programs at the college where I work. I started on August 6 and finished this morning (so, just about 5 weeks)! The auction is TOMORROW! Whew! A photo of the afghan is on my blog here:

http://www.tamemymind.com/artscrafts/archives/2005/09/11/cathedral_rose_window_afghan_painted_desert_claret_black_buff.php

-Cheryl

would anyone consider selling their pattern? i love this afgan and would like to join in thew fun of this CAL? PM or email me angelchick_1000@yahoo.com

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I made the afghan to donate to an auction benefitting the athletics programs at the college where I work. I started on August 6 and finished this morning (so, just about 5 weeks)! The auction is TOMORROW! Whew! A photo of the afghan is on my blog here:

http://www.tamemymind.com/artscrafts/archives/2005/09/11/cathedral_rose_window_afghan_painted_desert_claret_black_buff.php

-Cheryl

what kind of yarn did you use?:think

Cheryl - Your afghan is simply gorgeous! Great job! :clap

I've gotten just about all the way to the 16 heptagons. Have to put it on hold for a while, though since I have 4 sports afghans (2 Chargers and 2 Packers) and 4 shawls to make for Christmas. Yikes! Picture of the ghan is on my blog, as well as a few more pictures of other finished items...

http://wolfeyez.blogspot.com/2005/09/procrastination.html

well, as you can see I am no where near finishing this. I gave it to my mom for her 75th birthday this weekend anyway. she loved it, and now that she knows about it I will be able to work on it in front of her (it has been difficult not mentioning it even to her). It looks bumpy on the photo, but it lays perfectly flat. I just love it, and love working on it. I am so glad that I carried the yarn around on the rows before the heptagons, so I didn't have a million ends to weave in.

:manyheart

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/crochetdiva/My%20stuff/cathafghan1.jpg

This 70 year old lover of crochet has been trying to get this

pattern for ages. I am now bonking my head on the wall and

saying, "Give up old girl, do some more chemo caps.":bang

I hate giving up but.....maybe there will be one at a garage sale

somewhere. I am off on a holidays for 2 weeks. I need the rest:-)

Doris

Wow! Time flies! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to the responses/questions made after my earlier post about completing this afghan.

THANK YOU for your compliments! The afghan was really very BEAUTIFUL. I'm amazed and awed at the amount of time and thought that went into creating the pattern. In my experience even the simplest pattern for a scarf or granny square can taken a few hours! Writing down the steps to make this afghan must have taken a very long time and a lot of patience!

To clarify: I started August 6 and finished September 11 - about 5 weeks, not 5 days.

Answers to questions asked:

Q. Did I use 2 strands of yarn for the smaller hexagons?

No, I didn't. My gauge is very loose and 2 strands with the recommended hook size would have been very tight. So, I used 1 strand with, I believe, an H hook.

Q. How much did the afghan go for at the auction?

I did not attend the golf tournament or the auction, so I wasn't there to "sell" it and I don't think anyone running the auction understood the uniqueness of the pattern or the time/effort that went in to making it. There was a silent auction and a live auction. The afghan was placed in the silent auction, so there wasn't anyone presenting it and "selling" it with verbal queues to describe the afghan and drive people to bid more.

Bidding was started at $60 and the afghan was won at $125. A bit disappointing since I spent 5 weeks working on it evenings and weekends - and knowing that someone online is asking $750 to make this afghan using custom colors.

But, on the other hand, *I* wanted to make the afghan for the experience of making it, and *I* donated it to for the auction. Once it left my hands, it was out of my control.

Q. What kind of yarn did I use?

Red Heart Super Saver in these colors:

A - Painted Desert (variegated)

B - Claret

Black (for the Black)

Buff (for the White)

Here are some notes from what I remember doing while making the afghan. Maybe someone will find them helpful!:

* As noted above, I used 1 strand for the entire afghan.

* I used H, G, and F hooks - F for the majority of the afghan, especially after Section One (my gauge is loose).

* On round 3 of the Pentagons for Section One, I replaced:

Ch 3, 2 dc in next. ...

with

Ch 3, (1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc) in next. ...

* I was cringing at the thought of weaving in all of those yarn ends ! So, like Andrea J. said she did, I carried the yarn for the Pyramids around the whole piece using slip stitches instead of finishing off and starting again.

* I made 5 double crochet rows instead of 9 single crochet rows for each Column in Section Two, and 4 double crochet rows instead of 7 single crochet rows for each Column in Section Three.

* Because of gauge issues, the Valleys were very PUFFY. I re-wrote Round 7A-G of Section Three about 6 times before settling on a pattern that made the Valleys as flat as I could get them.

I really want to see the progress others have made with their Cathedral Rose Window Afghan. Will all who are working on or have started the afghan please post an updated photo? THANK YOU!

-Cheryl

September 11th, 2005, 02:10 PM

My afghan is da-da-done!

http://www.tamemymind.com/artscraft..._black_buff.php

-Cheryl

Thank you Cheryl for all the notes you shared with us. I am just starting the columns, and contemplating frogging what I have done and doing it your way instead.

It was a shame that the afghan didn't go for more, but your heart was in the right place, and maybe it went to the home it needed to go to. They will have a masterpiece they can cherish for years....unless you offer to buy it off them and resell it on ebay, LOL.

I :manyheart this afghan and would love to make it someday if I'm fortunate enough to get my hot little hands on the pattern! Guess I will have to gaze longingly at everybody's efforts. :lol Y'all keep up the good work. They're just stunning! :cheer Btw, if anyone can hook me up with the pattern I promise to be your friend for life!! :wink Yeah, I know...me and all the other desperate searchers. :lol

Here is a picture of my catheral afghan. I haven't worked on it for awhile.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/123mama/IM000082.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous! Love your colors! I think I'm going to have to do another one in blues...

started mine, its in blues, will post a picture as soon I can:clap finished with section one and have started section two:manyheart

Yippee! My daughter is making some of the 32 heptagons for my mom's blanket. This will speed things up a lot. I wanted my other daughter to do a couple...but she is swamped with school work right now (Nursing) so I don't know if she will be able to.

I picked this back up tonight. I have been emailed back and forth with the designer. I am on the third section Rnd 7(a) and wow. I hope everyone did not have the hard time I did on RND 3-4-5-6. Those seemed like the hardest counting project I have ever been on! I finally did it " my way" to make it come out even. After reading about the puffiness of RND 7 I'm shakin in my boots again. Good Luck to everyone working on this. It will be worth it when we're all done!:coo

-Cheryl

Fantastic job Cheryl!!!

Archived