Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

When will I EVER learn to count and recount my stitches??:thair I got the octagon done last night, and then got the pentagons (by the way, mine curve also!) and triangles done today. I was so excited to get all the pieces of the first section done and began assembly them this evening. I got all eight pentagons sewn, but guess what?? My OCTAGON has NINE sides!!! GRRRRR....I had to "unsew" the pentagons and just finished :froging my dang nine-sided octagon to start again...I hate it when I do that!!!:bang On well, you can bet I will be counting carefully from now on, and I am sure this only one of many boo-boo's to some!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would somebody please tell me why I decided to use lace weight yarn to make this project?

Oh....wait I know the answer :hi (pick me...pick me)....It's because the colors are absolutely stunning together.

But......I will be blind before this project is over. Whew....I have finished my triangles and am sewing them together...I think this is most certainly a project that I can only work on when I don't have 5 kids hoving over me, lest they hear something they shouldn't.

Now....I need more coffee :morcoffee and perhaps I will start on some magic loop :socks to further frustrate me.

No church today as I have some sick kiddos...summer colds...and don't relish the idea of taking them all to infect everyone else today.

Hope everyone has a great day.

You all have chosen some lovely colors. I'm working as hard as I can on the other afghan so I can finish it and put all my energies into this one and maybe I'll catch up with you guys. Since this is a holiday weekend, we've been helping my son move his stuff from the trailer he's renting back here so he can get ready to move into his dorm.

That room is pretty full again, gonna have to do some straightening in there AGAIN :rofl

:frog

I have my yarn now but have sworn to finish other projects (that includes getting my house clean!) before I start this one. I'm thinking the end of this week I'll have time to make a reasonable start on it, and I can't wait :D

I'm in!! :U

I'm using RH amethyst & RH purple multi. I have to wait for the yarn to get here, but then I'm goin for it!! :clap

I havent been crocheting very long, but this huge project should help me get some experience!

I'm in!! :U

I'm using RH amethyst & RH purple multi. I have to wait for the yarn to get here, but then I'm goin for it!! :clap

I havent been crocheting bery long, but this huge project should help me get some experience!

:rofl:rofl:rofl Oh, you'll get PLENTY of experience, all right! By the time you successfully finish this (and you will!), you will be able to consider yourself a PRO! :hook

Sounds like some lovely colors you've chosen, too - I just love purples! Are you gonna keep this for yourself or gift it out, or do you know yet?

I have my yarn now but have sworn to finish other projects (that includes getting my house clean!) before I start this one. I'm thinking the end of this week I'll have time to make a reasonable start on it, and I can't wait :D

If I waited till I cleaned my house it'd be next year before I get started on it :rofl

I am going to finish the other afghan before getting going on this one.

...Sounds like some lovely colors you've chosen, too - I just love purples! Are you gonna keep this for yourself or gift it out, or do you know yet?

I'm gonna gift it, if it turns out ok...and maybe even if it doesnt! :lol I'll give it to my aunt & uncle...they've been very good to me!! ;)

" I got all eight pentagons sewn, but guess what?? My OCTAGON has NINE sides!!! GRRRRR"

I am so sorry, but:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl that sounds like something I woul do.

I decided to use the bigger hook and single strand throughtout...I know, I am a rebel. lol

[quote name=crochetdiva

I decided to use the bigger hook and single strand throughtout...I know, I am a rebel. lol[/quote]

I decided to do the opposite and use double strand and a smaller hook throughout :) (although I am using a smaller hook anyway (D) since I am using laceweight)

I decided to do the opposite and use double strand and a smaller hook throughout :) (although I am using a smaller hook anyway (D) since I am using laceweight)

I'm glad to hear you're double stranding it, when I heard you were going to use laceweight I started to question your sanity! ;)

I can't wait to see what it looks like! I'm sure it'll be gorgeous :D

I THOUGHT I was pretty literate when it came to reading and following crochet patterns, but this one is already kicking my tail! After "un-sewing" and frogging the center last night and redoing it this morning, I got the first section assembled, but something isn't right...The pentagons are cupped as others have mentioned, but after assembling it, the center is too! Can someone tell me how they went about sewing the parts together?? I would think it should lay fairly flat (except for the pentagons), but mine is all wacko! At the beginning of section 2, it says to slip stitch in the point of any pentagon, dc...Well, the points of my pentagons are covered by the ends of the triangles! Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

CathedralWindowSmall.jpg

Hey all...I haven't worked on my afghan today at all but thought I would make a couple of comments. First off: I think there needs to be made a correction in the pattern in regards to the Pentagons. On Round 3 it reads: Ch 3, 2 dc in next, *dc in next 4, etc.... It just wasn't working for me has I was missing the 5th ch-1 spacing so I did: Ch 3, (dc,ch1, dc)in next space then continued with the rest of the row as stated. Did anyone else notice this?

Also, in regards to everyone's pentagons curving. My first two were curving and I knew something wasn't right. So on my 3rd pentagon when it came to attaching the black and sc around here's how I got my pentagons to be 5-sided and laying flat without curving. At each ch1 space where you put 2 sc in, I then sc into that first ch after it. This stitch is usually overlapped by the 2 sc but I found it makes a big difference in how the pentagon ends up looking. I then frogged the black on the first 2 pentagons and redid them as the other 6 and they are now flat and perfect pentagons.

So, for those that haven't gotten this far yet, try it the way I did and see if it works for you too.

Hmmmmy pentagons puff up abit too. It looks like you maybe sewed them together too much? I went through a complete stitch on each matching stich for stitch around them. Also I found that when putting the triangles on I tacked the middle of the triangle to the center seam between the pentagons then sewed each end on. It really helped keep them even for me. I did not use 2 threads in making my pentagons though. So mine dont puff up alot. but it still gives a soft 3-d effect. Here is how far along I am now. IF you need more help just post. I'm still wondering if mine is going to lay down completely when finished. It has ever so small wave around the edges right now. Boy we sure picked a challenge!

And diamond, I noticed the same thing and made the mods to the pattern to even it out as well.

crochet026.jpg

I completely agree with Cheryl! I was going to say something, but others were ahead of me and didn't complain...But I did two pentagons last night as instructed then changed to doing like you did.

I guess great minds think alike:hook LOL. Only I switched to using one strand of yarn all the way through. Hope it turns out.

:manyheart

Wow Stacey - You are making great progress!! You go girl!:cheer Looking at yours, I know I crochet MUCH tighter than you, so maybe that is my problem...I went through both loops of the top "chain" to sew the pieces together, holding right sides together as I did it, in a running stitch...I did sew the pieces pretty tightly because if I sewed more loosely, the sewing yarn showed sort of as a zig-zag between the pieces (if that makes sense!). Can ya'll give me an idea of the diameter measurements of the center octagon and pentagons on yours? I am thinking about just frogging AGAIN (or maybe just start over from scratch and use this one as a pillow top or something!) This afghan is sooo special, and I want mine to look right!!

I also caught the same problem as Cheryl...and fixed it pretty much the same way...

I thought the directions on the pentagons looked whacked, that's another reason I haven't made any more. I'm going to frog the two I've done and redo them.

Thanks, I'm glad others noticed that.

:faint Not really sure what I am thinking (or how in the world I will get enough yarn for this without it costing me $200 to make) but count me in on this CAL! I brought back some yarn with me from the US that I think I can use on this - or at least I should be able to use some of it! ;)

I am having the toughest time attaching my pentagons & triangles. I've frogged it 4 times now and each time they either end up being off-center or facing the wrong way. The instructions just say to sew the pentagons & triangles and I've tried several different methods. How did you all do it? I even sc them together, slip stitch, etc. There has to be an easier way. I have put stitch markers on the right side now to keep them straight but it's driving me crazy. I've also decided NOT to work on this 'ghan at night anymore either. The black is driving me crazy. BTW, the only part I've done so far with 2 strands held together is the pentagons. Everything else I'm doing 1 strand.

You all have been so busy!! I think I only have round one done, then I had to stop so I could pack for camping this last weekend.

For my colors I am using RH blueberry pie and RH watercolors, hopefully they will look okay together.

Archived