symbols vs. written pattern

I read somewhere recently that we'll "have to get used to" symbols replacing written patterns eventually. The advantage being that symbols are universal and thereby anyone can utilize a book in any foreign language. While I love that idea, I'm a little shy about learning a new way to craft. What say you?

I'm one of those people to whom symbols instantly made sense. I like that picture. I use the words to double-check my understanding. I've always had a hard time with those Repeat 3 times between the () and then do it twice more. With Symbols I can count and see.

I really liked that Fantasy Crochet had both. Once I start and study a pattern, the symbols allow me to move faster.

Can't see symbols replacing words though. We don't have good software for symbols yet.

I would be very happy if patterns went to symbols. :) I learned to crochet = Magic Crochet and Crochet Fantasy in the late 1970s/early 1980s, and symbol crochet patterns were pretty much the only patterns I had access to. Now, they did have words, too, but I mainly focused on the symbols.

The symbols can seem scary at first, but if I didn't have any problems with them as a pre-teen/teenager. Maybe that's because at that age you're always learning new things in school, so it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to learn something new with crochet symbols.

I do remember how difficult I thought it was to learn to knit. And now that I'm pretty good at it and will tackle any kind of pattern, I sort of wonder why I ever had problems with it. :) But five years ago you'd never have convinced me I'd knit ANYTHING!

Both are needed. Some folks can't do symbols, and never will. Others, need them.

I have a crocheting friend who's dyslexic, and written patterns are torture for her. But give her the same pattern in symbols, and she's all over it

Symbols... :eek noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Sorry couldn't help myself! :devil I actually take a written pattern and then 'write' it out so I can do it faster and not lose my place. ie. sc 2, dc 4, sl st in next dc...

Single crochet 2

Double crochet 4

Slip Stitch in next double crochet.....

:yes

I have tried and tried, but I can not read symbols past a row or two and then, I still think I got it all wrong! :think:blush

If everything ever changes to symbols in crochet, I'll have to hire an interpeter! :flower

Honestly, I don't think they will ever go the all symbol way. The business would lose a lot of customers and less customers mean less sales in yarn! Got to play nice to us customers! :hug

I don't think symbol patterns will ever completely replace written ones. Some patterns are just too large and complicated to write graphically. Personally, I like symbol patterns, I just don't think it's feasible for everything. Try doing charted agrumi! :eek

I don't think going to nothing but symbols will ever fly, actually it would take a nose dive in my view because that is like saying everyone learns the same, everyone reads the same etc. Doesn't work, no 2 people are the same so there will always be a need to have written and symbol patterns.

When I learned to Crochet, I had so many "how to books" but never could get the jist of it, a friend showed me what to do and off I went, from there it was easy for me.

ive never tried using symbols to crochet, so can't say i think it would be better or worse. But had to admit my age here when I tell the story of being in elementary school many yrs ago and them saying that by now we would ALL be on the metric system. not sure symbols would be able to be as universal as metric system has shown not to be or not.

Sandy

I love my symbol patterns...almost too much. I can read written patterns, but the complex repetitions, odd notation, and abbreviations seem to be nightmares for editing--mistakes and errata are taken for granted. There are so many free and older patterns floating around that even if the American publishing industry joins the Aisians and Europeans in publishing most patterns in symbols (often accompanied by written explanations, but not full written patterns), I think the current generation of crocheters who don't like/can't read symbols will still find plenty of things to crochet, and the younger generation will learn. I also think that those who self-publish will not switch to symbols, because there is no easy way to graph them.

I think if most of us thought about it, we already own more patterns than we could complete in a lifetime, even if nothing new were available for the rest of our lives. :yes

Speaking as someone with a disability, I hope it doesn't change to all symbols! Yikes, I'd be in big trouble! :eek I've tried symbols, but they all jumble together. I have visual problems ever since my brain surgery that I'm told are permanent. Same with knitting....can't do it anymore no matter how much I try. My brain won't cooperate with working the two needles at the same time. That's why I started crocheting 3 1/2 years ago! Even the wording gets jumbled up at times and like yarnmover I have to write it out. It's so much easier that way.

If that happens, I will never buy another crochet magazine. I HATE!!!!!!!! symbols, they are far too confusing for me and there is not a big enough difference in the symbols to tell them apart.

See, that doesn't work for me. When I see symbols, I see a big picture and not each individual stitch.

I like the symbol patterns because you can see exactly where to put a given stitch and how many times to repeat, ect. I just seems easier to me without all those words.

Marcia

I prefer written instructions, particuarly the ones that have the abreviations (you know, 2dc, ch 2...) I get kinda confused with symbols and charts, although I'm getting better at it since takeing up filet crochet. I have to think about it like cross stitch, but I still get confused and lose my place.

I like the written pattern. It will take a while to get used to using symbols.

I can understand having both for a pattern, which sometimes helps out if you are stuck. So I don't think going down to just a symbol pattern would be good.

:manyheart

I can and will do either but I find myself dreading beginning a new row with written directions, especially once they get more complex. I have even set my crochet aside for a day or two before tackling a long line of instructions. Like YarnMover I have re-typed written symbols to help me keep my place and not miss something. But symbols — bring 'em on! Only a few minutes ago I told my husband I really like the charts instead of having directions written out because I can see what to do at a glance instead of slow, torturous interpetation, hoping all the while that I haven't missed a step.

There is room for both styles here, I think. If I ever learn how to be a designer (in your dreams!) I would prefer my patterns to be shown both ways because they reinforce each other. If the symbols don't make sense the written directions help you understand what to do and vice-versa.

One huge advantage of charts is that I can pick up a magazine in Polish or Japanese, say, and crochet away merrily from it without knowing a word of a foreign language. These days magazine corporations would love to capture an international market and symbols make it easy for them to do so. It is also an advantage for the crocheter because he or she has access to other styles than are prevalent in their home country. Let's face it: American crochet leans heavily on the pineapple motif. Nothing at all is wrong with that but I like a little variety and foreign charts provide that.

If charts are done like the Japanese ones then I'm all for it. They include tables with row count info and do wonderful jobs of diagramming the patterns so that you can make sense of it. Just a chart won't cut it. That's why most people are lost with them.

I have a few patterns that I can't read a word on the page but with a little study I've figured out what the tables are showing and can make the item. I would love to have stitch counts of every row.......don't even get that on written patterns most of the time.

I'm not so sure how new this is. I've seen some antique pattern books where the written pattern was quite abbreviated and you were expected to follow the photos, or even older ones sketches of the stitchwork--not much different than a chart. (And not just filet, either, for which words in a pattern are just silly).

How many written patterns have you encountered that have errors? I have found many, in contemporary as well as vintage patterns. Look at how many errata pages there are for magazines and books.

How many times have you scratched your head and looked at the pattern photo to figure out what a confusingly written pattern was trying to say, or to figure out how to fix a pattern error?

I'm sure there are errors in some charts too, but undoubtedly far less because they would be more obvious.

I think wordless patterns (charts only for some, additional sketches and row counts perhaps for other) are far clearer for most items, perhaps less so for 3-dimensional ones (although I have seen them). Maybe some really complex 3-D patterns need a few words here and there.

I'm all for it - it opens up a whole new world of patterns published all over the world.

I learned to read patterns first, and that was all I did for years. Then I bought Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet (A great book to buy if you don't already have it).

http://www.amazon.com/Donna-Koolers-Encyclopedia-Crochet/dp/1574862820

and every pattern in it is in written form as well as symbols. It was so easy to learn to read symbols that way for me. In my opinion, the BEST patterns are in written form as well as in symbols.

Archived