I hate patterns written in sentences!!!!!

I just started a new crochet pattern for a chicken potholder and it's been the pits. The instructions are written in sentence form. I kept losing my place and frogged so many times that I almost gave up. Does this happen to you too? I'd rather have each stitch listed under the row.

example:

Row One:

dc in first st

sk next st

2 dc in next st

(1 dc, 1 hdc, 1sc) in next 5 st

etc.

etc.

What I do when I keep getting lost or confused in a pattern, is to rewrite it in a way that makes sense to me... Though I don't usually have many issues with patterns written in sentences unless there's a ton of steps crammed into each one.

:lol I find that I lose my place too when everything is written out in sentences, esp when there are multiple instructions as you have given an example of. :thinkWould be much easier to follow if it were listed like you have done :yes:yes but have found most pattern are written straight across in sentence form and usually 2 or 3 lines long per row/round. So, I guess you and I are apt to be :2froging like little :frogs.

:(:(If I had the patience and time, I guess I could sit down and rewrite/retype the rows in list form and just staple it to my original pattern. :think which is worse, writing the pattern over so I won't lose my place or :2froging.

I don't like it in recipes either! My husband and I took a cooking class on Tuesday and the chef passed out recipes written out in sentence format. I kept having to find my place over and over after each new ingredient was added. Very tiresome. Like crochet, it isn't natural to how my eyes looks at a list and processes what's on it.

And wearing glasses doesn't help much either!! :( When there are loooong rows, I really lose my place!! So what I have done for the past upteen years is: I write each row on index cards, punch holes on the upper left hand corner of the index card and use a "book" ring(?). Yes, it does take up extra time, but to me it is worth the time and effort instead of skipping a sentence on that row and having to frog. On some patters that aren't as long, I will type the pattern on a sheet of paper, each row double spaced and the font size 14 or 16 and double space each row. And when I number the row, I put a line before the # to mark off when I am done with that row(for example: ___ 1.) Also when I retype the pattern, I make double and triple sure that I typed the pattern correctly, no type-o's!! :eek

I photocopy the pattern, highlight/ mark anything that I need to watch for.... or to keep me on size and I use a chart keeper....

http://www.knitpicks.com/Knitting+Chart+Keeper_AD80314.html

I have also been known to create my own graph/diagram if the pattern didn't come with one.... its helps me to see it.... since I am a visual person.

hope some of these ideas might help you too

What I do when I keep getting lost or confused in a pattern, is to rewrite it in a way that makes sense to me...

I do the same:hook Sometimes I put each row on a separate card if the rows are complex:yarn:yarn

I guess it's because I learned how to crochet "old school", but I have no trouble at all reading patterns in sentences. All I do is make a photocopy of the pattern and get out my trusty yellow highlighter and as soon as I finish a row, I highlight it. That way if I get lost, the most I have to frog to be able to be sure where I am again is one row. When I'm done, I throw out my worksheet.

I have several patterns that are written in graph form. One is a collection of beautiful doilies that I have vowed that someday I WILL master the method of reading pattern graphs, but that hasn't happened yet.

I also prefer sentence format, as it's what I "know" - I cannot do symbol patterns (unless written instructions are there also) - but if you are having trouble, maybe just rewrite it out so that you can do it without interruptions?

I just started a new crochet pattern for a chicken potholder and it's been the pits. The instructions are written in sentence form. I kept losing my place and frogged so many times that I almost gave up. Does this happen to you too? I'd rather have each stitch listed under the row.

example:

Row One:

dc in first st

sk next st

2 dc in next st

(1 dc, 1 hdc, 1sc) in next 5 st

etc.

etc.

I have tried to do that Chicken potholder myself several times and I just gave up!!! Maybe rewriting it your way might help. I also don't like it when they don't give how many stitches I will have at the end of the row (so I don't keep going with a mistake several rows back!) :eek

I also rewrite it to fit my way of thinking. 1 row for every task, and in words that are easy to understand for me.

Example:

dc all the way

dc + ch in every st

sc+dc+sc - jump 2

I don't have any trouble following the patterns that are written in sentences. I just read each sentence and make sure I know what I'm supposed to be doing in each row before I start it.

I can't do the graphs at all. I blame it on the fact that I'm left handed. They're backwards from how I crochet, so it confuses me.:think

So now is the time to learn to work from symbol crochet. Meets all your needs. The yarn industry is going to be doing a big push on this in the next couple of years. Take a look at Crochet Today. They are using this method with many of their patterns.

Jean Leinhauser

So now is the time to learn to work from symbol crochet. Meets all your needs. The yarn industry is going to be doing a big push on this in the next couple of years. Take a look at Crochet Today. They are using this method with many of their patterns.

Jean Leinhauser

I love symbol crochet!! Years ago I made doilies by using the magazine Magic Crochet. I made some very intricate ones, and then years later I realized that I actually couldn't read a written pattern! I love the visual you get from the symbols, so now my weakness is reading patterns. Not that I can't do it, but it is just so tedious sitting there figuring it out sentence by sentence, when I could just look at a symbol graph and "see" what to do!!! I would like to see more of this type of directions along with the written as well. That would please everybody!! :hug

I haven't seen one that wasn't written out horizontally unless it was just a chart, but I definitely don't like them too wordy either. Just give me the steps and if you want to explain something, make it a separate note.:angry

If I'm working a complicated pattern or one with a lot of changes in class, I will often write down a shortened version of the row repeat so I can just glance at what the changes are and keep on taking notes about the lecture.:hook

I've only made a few symbol-patterns, but I agree they're great for doilies. Actually I have some old filet patterns that have no graph but are actually written out! I can't imagine following that. Someday I will graph them from the picture.

What I do with written patterns that have my brain in a knot is use one of those post-it bookmark things; half is clear and sticky on one side, the other half isn't and you can easily use it to pull up and move your marker. I usually cut them into thirds or fourths lengthwise (they are an inch wide, I just use a strip at a time), draw an arrow on the unsticky clear side, and put the arrow right where I am in the pattern. When I was doing the Bruges lace doily from a written I was moving that thing a LOT, but it really helped me keep my place.

I am okay with patterns in sentences, but it's irritating when they string too much together in a chunk. Sometimes the actual crochet is very straightforward but the amount of words crammed into the instructions makes it seem difficult!

Archived