What to do with doilies?

I saw the afghan question and it got me to thinking about doilies. No one I know uses them anymore and I was wondering other then framing them what else do you do with them?

I love them but have never had much interest in making once cause they would just get tossed.

I actually use them as doilies. Small ones make good coasters, I've used them to applique vests and jackets, they can be incorporated into quilts. I made a large one with size 3 thread that my mother uses as a runner on her kitchen table. They can be made into shawls or throws made in yarn rather than thread. They can be lined and used as pillow covers.

I have seen so many uses for doilies in style, craft and decorating mags. Here are just a few:

Embellishments on clothing. I've seen small ones overlapped, large ones folded at a shoulder seam or hem, some are lined and put on a vest or jacket as a pocket.

The make lovely covers on pincushions for an easy and elegant gift.

Use the larger ones as a lamp shade drape or cover for soft light areas.

Lined they are lovely small purses, lingerie bags, jewelry cases or add as an accent to a crochet bag or purchased cloth bag. They really class up a denim purse for gifts.

Draped over glass Christmas ornaments with a few beaded accents to hold the edges downward.

Christmas angels: One gathered in the middle for the wings and one gathered close to one end for the body. Tack together and add a light weight head and halo.

I saw a lovely quilt with a different vintage doily in each block.

Small ones gathered on barrettes or wrapped on hairbands for kids or evening wear.

They make gorgeous "nosegay" holders for weddings.

Stiffened and rolled for "cone" ornaments or party favors to hold special treats.

Stitched together into a valance or mantel drape.

Gosh, that's all I can remember seeing at the moment. Will think on it a bit and maybe remember a few more.

I LOVE doiles both to use and to create.

Somebody here posted a link to a great big bed canopy made out of assorted doilies sewn together. It was gorgeous.

That would have been me, I think :) and it wasn't QUITE a bed canopy. Oddly enough, it is at a seamstress's shop (I think), and it is actually a HUGE dress that she made and hung up! I am taking the idea of a doily canopy to make a wedding/bed canopy for my future (very future, as I don't even have a boyfriend!) wedding.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84372

I think you could make all kinds of things with doilies if you think outside the box! :hook

I use them to decorate or "disguise wear on homemade quilts". I will strategically place them on the quilt and sew them in place it is very "shabby chic".

I also make them out of yarn as baby afghans.

i use them as doilies , my sister uses on the back of her toliet tank, now my grandmother keeps using my dishclothes as doilies with get annoying .

I have fallen in love with some of the doiles the creative people on the ville have made

With a lot of the doilies I make, I deliberately try to choose patterns and colors that make them look contemporary. I collect hand-thrown pottery, and I like to make doilies in unusual colors and shapes that set off my chunky, funky pottery. I think lacy victorian doilies are pretty, but they don't suit my contemporary style of decor, so I don't make those for me. Doilies don't have to look antique if you don't want them to.

Gosh, I've never NOT used doilies, or fabric runners of some sort, to protect my furniture. I'm in the process of replacing all my 'store bought' machine made ones with my own creations. Great ideas for other uses, I especially liked the 'shabby chic' repair idea. :)

my mother has soaked doilies in starch (or you can paint them with craft glue) and then drape them over an upside down bowl. when they dry remove them gently and you will have a gorgeous dish for displaying pretties or storing your keys or whatever, and i have one i put my glasses, chapstick, etc in and it is on my night stand.

my mother has soaked doilies in starch (or you can paint them with craft glue) and then drape them over an upside down bowl. when they dry remove them gently and you will have a gorgeous dish for displaying pretties or storing your keys or whatever, and i have one i put my glasses, chapstick, etc in and it is on my night stand.

Ohh, this thread is great. I love that idea!! I think I'm gonna have to make a doily for that express purpose sometime!!

Thanks

Julee

Some thing that used to be popular was to use them over a vase that is filled with popurie (sp) and has lights in it . I made one with heart (doily) and used it to cover the vase and dried flowers my hubby gave me on our anniversary. Still have not got the lights for it yet. Will wait for Christmas and get them cheap.

I also saw a post here on the 'Ville a lady that was useing them to make a canopy for a bed. Or I even suggested to her make a parasol (sp sorry it has been a long day!) Any way they are used, they are great!

Judy

Archived