Have you taught someone else to crochet?

We all learned from someone. A neighbour taught me basic stitches when I was a kid but I did not start crocheting until some 40 years later.

I have not had the opportunity to teach someone else, yet.

Have you?:)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually self-taught, so I didn't learn from anyone... but I do teach.

I teach crochet at my local Jo-Ann's. I was also teaching at continuing ed for a while, but they've added a bunch of new Jo-Ann classes (non-crochet) that I am also teaching, so I'm going to just concentrate on the store. :)

I don't recall how many people I have taught... quite a few. Hopefully, they've stuck with it! :D

I'm teaching my daughter and I showed my boyfriend a thing or two. I'm giving my ex-husband's daughter a how-to book for her birthday with hooks and yarn so my daughter can help her over the summer while they're staying with their dad.

I've actually taught 2 friends to yarn crochet. They went crazy making ponchos over the winter! Now they are addicted as well. I'm also teaching my 12 yr old right now. We are making squares for an afghan for her new room together. And WOW we are almost finished. I have another friend that got interested and I sent her home with a roll of yarn and a H hook Monday. LOL. Hopefully we will get together again next week and start on single and double crochet stitches. I really enjoy teaching. It makes me even more addicted, i think!:cheer

I tried to teach a friend of mine to crochet, but after she learned to chain she didn't want to learn anything else. She would just sit and make chains for hours on end. Then she discovered plastic canvas, and I don't think she's ever tried crocheting again.

I'm going to teach both of my daughters one day. Right now my youngest is too young, and my oldest doesn't want to do anything that she couldn't get on the first try. Hopefully she'll get over that one of these days!:bang

I tried to teach my youngest son, my dd and my stepdaughter. None of them crochet if that tells you anything :blush My mom tried to teach me too when I was young, and I just learned 8 yrs ago.

I've taught my friend. I actually sent her home with a ball of yarn from my stash and two of my hooks haha. Also, my aunt taught me but the student passed the master; she only knew the double crochet stitch (and how to chain of course). So yeah, I went back and taught her some new things like the treble, how to make shells, increase and decreases, etc. She gave me this really old coats and clark booklet in return heh.

I want to teach my little brother how to crochet. He's interested in crochet, knitting and embroidery. I'll teach them all to him this summer.

When my sister-in-law first started crocheting, she had trouble following the instructions in her book, so I helped her out. Taught her the basic stitches up to treble and how to read patterns. My daughter wanted to learn for a while and I got her all set up, but she only made it as far singles. Not enough instant gratification for her. :lol

I dont remember if she saw me crocheting and wanted to try or just started on her own and didn't know where to go but I've been coaching a friend from work. She's on a roll and we even got past the hurdle of her being left handed. (I've learned to crochet with both hands now!)

She's even a habitual w.i.p. girl now as well! She's still angry though that I can just whip things up, she doesn't believe that it just takes time to get all speedy speedy speedy.

I've taught a co-worker and my daughter (when she was 8). I also taught my daughter how to knit around the same time. She refuses to knit-only crochet. She says crochet is the only way to go. She's 14 now and can read patterns very easily.

my aunt taught me how to crochet when i was 10 and since then ive been crocheting on my own and following instructions from books. my first books was japanese!! it had pictures, thats how i got my way through! my aunt never crocheted after that, and she lost the skill and wants me to teach her now!! she got excited because crocheted baby afghans are in fashion over here in my place and she wants to make some!!

since two years i have been giving crochet classes for kids (5-10 yrs) on a weekly basis. its fun and it makes me happy to see how kids progress and develope a skill.

not untill 3 to 4 yrs ago did crochet start to become very popular, the materials (yarn, hooks, etc) are very hard to find, the only shop that was supplying it is closing!! what a pitty!

I have tried to teach my mom...she did ok, but she is more interested in her sewing/quilting. Then my 8 yr old daughter wanted to learn so we tried but she couldn't get it, plus she doesn't have the patience. She is a hyper high maintenance kid. She can't sit still long enough to learn:) But I'm not giving up!

I'm self taught. My mom in law showed me the chain and sc, and then she was so busy that I just gave up on her and took it from there. Went and got the cd-rom, learned the granny square, and did the rest all on my own :hook

my mom taught me when i was little she has now passed away, I have two sisters who don"t know how they were never interested. I have a 5 year old granddaughter and a 6 month old and hope to be able to teach them .My daughter in law doen"t know how either. Linda

I'm self taught. I learn faster if you stick a book in front of me, and leave me alone. A lot of people can't do that, though. I used to work at Michael's as the store decorator. One of my jobs was to fill in the class schedule with classes. One of them that I gave was begining crochet. I also taught a class, once a week for about a year, to a group of girls in my neighborhood. I taught them by using motifs. We would make a different motif every week. They would take it home and rework it during the week, using the motif as an example of what the work was supposed to look like. I get a lot of young girls wanting to learn. They have me show them the basics. I tried teaching my mother, but she has learned that it's easier to just get me to crochet the stuff for her. Every year, for her birthday, she wants a new doily to add to her collection. LOL.

I learned when I was about 10 in church . I have

taught my niece and great niece how to crochet.

my great niece likes to crochet and does a good job.

She is about 20 now and still likes it

I have taught a couple friends of mine.

My daughter wants to learn... But I think we'll wait until she is a little bit older (she's only 3).

I have taught a couple friends of mine.

My daughter wants to learn... But I think we'll wait until she is a little bit older (she's only 3).

You could teach her to make chains with her fingers:) while she waits till she is old enough to use a hook.

Some little ones you could teach with the large plastic hook under direct supervision, of course.

hi i am mainly self taught although i did learn the very basics in 3rd grade. but since then i have deveoped my talent very well. i also teach crochet classes at my joann store here in washington. i have also taught a great many people including my nephew who is a fireman(and now his whole station wants to learn):lol :lol also have taught several children. i find that when they are really young, finger crochet works good., at about 5 or 6 they develope more hand eye coordination and can actuall do the chain and sc. my goal in life is to teach anyone who wants to learn to crochet:hook vicki

I taught myself to crochet when I was about 8 or 9:hook .

Lately, I taught a co-worker to crochet--she is doing very well. I also teach at my LYS, and I'm thinking about doing a course at the local community school.

I love it when I see my students make progress. Most of the students at my LYS are knitters (I and too), so they know how to handle yarn and read patterns which makes it easier.

• 2 weeks later...

I taught my fiance to crochet. He's quite good - still doing simple things, but he made himself a great cell phone/IPod cozy. :) And he made me a nice scarf. :)

My mother taught me when I was a teenager and I've taught my daughter, my youngest son, the 4 girls who live across the street, my best friend Ellen, I tried teaching my MIL who just couldn't get it so I taught my FIL so he could teach MIL (he has more patience with her, not that I don't have patience....I have tons...but you would have to know my MIL to understand....anyone watch 'Everybody Loves Raymond'?.....that's my MIL but 100 times worse). And most recently, when my sister Marilyn came for a visit, I taught her! She insisted and I was so proud & honored to teach my big sis something! Made me feel all gushy inside! She did awesome, BTW. And I am scheduled to teach my oldest son's girlfriend and 2 of her friends over the summer. Of them all, I must admit only my youngest son has kept up his crocheting (mainly making skullies). Ellen wants me to re-teach her.

I learned from the tutorials on Crochet Cabana a couple of years ago.

I'm now teaching my mum and sister. Mum's always knitted but like the look of what crochet can do (before I started she only thought of doilies).

I also have a couple of friends who look longingly at what I'm doing when I crochet (including one guy! - he's punk so he doesn't really care what people think) and I think it will only take one more project for them to ask me to teach them!

I keep telling them "Hookers have more fun" and I think they are starting to believe me! :hook

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Crafterlady46

I tought crochet years ago. With thread not yarn. The class was for doily making. I would not know how to teach with yarn.

Archived