Have you taught someone else to crochet?

I did an afterschool class for my second graders last year. I had 23 kids sign up, even boys. Some are still doing it and asking if I am going to do another class this year. It was Crochet on Monday in May.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I crochet at school a lot. (I'm going into my senior year at high school in August.) I crochet standing around at lunch, in down time in class, in the halls, and sometimes even during lectures.

And I always end up teaching boys to crochet. Never girls. Boys will want me to show them how to do it. It is funniest when they have really large hands - the hook looks tiny!

I have taught a few ladies at the senior center to crochet. It is neat to see them accomplish this fun craft-ruth

I've taught both right-handers and left-handers to crochet. I have a lot who say they want to learn but then but then they try it and quit... I guess when we do it, it looks easy?

I taught my mom when I started working and was taught by the woman I

worked with. Unfortunately she now has altzheimer's and gets very discouraged because she can't remember like she used to and needs to be

retaught things often. She has now stopped which just breaks my heart.

She used to do soooo much!!!

I taught my daughter to crochet at around 8 years old. She developed a wonderful style. She now has 3 babies of her own, and has made each of them an afghan when they were born, made sweaters, potholders. Of course, being MIMI, I have spoiled them to "all things crocheted".

I enjoy working up projects for my family and friends.

It helps me to relax and unwind from all of the cares of the world.

We all learned from someone. A neighbour taught me basic stitches when I was a kid but I did not start crocheting until some 40 years later.

I have not had the opportunity to teach someone else, yet.

Have you?:)

I learned from my grandma, (who was also a knitter, so now that I'm a grown up I do both!) I taught my daughter basic crochet, but her interest waned...

I think she has a hat about 2/3 done too...

I taught 18 little girls how to crochet an eyelash yarn scarf one day, 2 winters ago.

THAT was an experience!!! I had one older girl as a helper, but we got

the job done. After they were done... we went to visit an old folk's home

and sang them Christmas carols with all of our scarves on!!! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've taught several co-workers to crochet - one of them loved it, and she has made gorgeous things since then! I've also taught people at demonstrations that I participate in with my Guild. We have done the demos at the county and State fairs, and a local library. Those were fun!

:yay

7 years ago I taught myself to crochet... I wish I had saved some of the things I made in the beginning of this journey. LOL

At the time I was learning I didn’t know about classes that were held at craft stores. I used the internet, a place called stitchguide.com.

While I was working for Michaels as a custom framer I was asked to be a crochet teacher… ME? Oh No! No! I couldn’t teach others… a few days later I said to myself, “If I can teach my husband to crochet, I can teach anyone.” Well teaching my husband was quite the experience to say the least… lol He made a scarf.

OK now I have the confidence to teach for Michaels. I taught for 3 ½ years… I stopped a little over 6 months ago to start a business. I do miss teaching, I found it very self rewarding.

:manyheart

• 2 months later...

I teach crochet at the senior center where I live. I promise them if they give me 2 hours they will be able to crochet. So far every one of them have. I love the expression on there faces. Ruth

• 2 weeks later...
I teach crochet at the senior center where I live. I promise them if they give me 2 hours they will be able to crochet. So far every one of them have. I love the expression on there faces. Ruth

Just the other day a good friend of mine (the other manager here) asked me if I would maybe teach her one day how to crochet. I was THRILLED that she asked! I can't wait to start! We both have apartments here and it would be so nice to have someone else who lives here be into crocheting so that we could sit and chat and crochet together. That's one of my fondest dreams, to have a good friend who also crochets so that we could do crochet things together, from actually stitching to going around looking for yarn bargains. I know it doesn't sound like much of a goal, but being disabled, even though I have a full-time job, I can't do a lot in the way of hobbies or activities, so crochet is my favorite thing to do! I did teach one other employee how to crochet, but she no longer works here, so my chance to actually have a "crochet friendship" with her no longer exists.

Elle

One of my very good friends had asked me if I will teach her, but since all I have mastered myself is the granny square, I'm not sure if I should try or not... I tried to give her links to pics and videos online, but she is a hands on learner.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently teaching my best friends bonnie and katherine to crochet...i'm making them a little guide book full of tips and how to's...adding a ball of yarn and a hook and HAPPY BIRTHDAY...and i'm teaching my other friend to knit and doing the same with her for her bday.

Archived