Have you taught someone else to crochet?

My Mother taught me at a young age and just a few weeks ago when I was down visiting family in New Jersey my Great Niece who is going to be 6 next week was watching me crochet and asked if I could show her how to do it.

Well that was the funniest thing to be seen....She didnt grasp it yet but we had fun getting our hands tangled up in yarn....Out of everyone in the family she is the only one interested in it so I will try again when she is a little older....:hook

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've taught my freshman year roomie and my current roomie. The first was a knitter already, so things went easier. I kidded her about her knife hold--"I can soooo tell you're really a knitter!". :P My current roomie picks it up from time to time... but it's not truly her thing, I think. She's more of a thinking girl instead of a creating tangible things girl. :lol

After I started crocheting again, my daughter asked if I'd teach her. She caught on pretty fast and made a lot of pretty flowers. We took our crochet projects to every chemo appointment. By the end of summer, Mary was ready to do a baby blanket for her expectant cousin. Mary's blanket has an extra special meaning to her cousin.

I've also given my sister-in-law a few crochet lessons. She's a sweet gal, but she's all thumbs. Kind of reminds me when I started. :heehee

Sadly I can say I never have taught anyone. :( My son showed some interest a while back when I creative lighter covers for his collection of antique zippo lighters (he collects weird stuff). But it never went any further than that. I keep hoping my neice will want to learn as the boys just don't seem to be into it. :( However they all like the crocheted items they receive. Maybe on a rainy day someone will want to learn.

I taught both my daughter and my sister. Although all they seem to do is make things out of double crochet. They both wanted Harry Potter styled scarfs, I didn't have time to make them so I taught them how.

Be blessed

Mickie

• 1 month later...

Let's see, I taught my friend Ann, my freind Shelly, my niece Shelly, my great niece Breann, my friends Vanessa and Leora,my daughters Megan and Alicia, my Grand daughter, Hannah, and Megan's friend Kim.:clap :clap :clap :clap

Currently I am teaching 5 ladies at work the afghan stitch on my lunch break. I tell them if you amke a mistake--just frog it--rip it, rip it! :2frog :2frog :2frog :2frog They think I am nuts!:hook

I enjoy helping others learn and hope I am helping keep our craft alive.:c9

Lorry

I haven't taught anyone yet. A friend asked me to teach him since he was having trouble trying to teach himself how, but we live a few hours apart so that hasn't really worked out yet.

DD wants to learn at some point but has a lot going on with college, teaching a couple of classes, work, etc. But she's been thinking of putting together a crafting group where once a month a bunch of her friends get together and someone teaches the rest of the group a craft, and she's asked me to come and teach them crochet when she gets that organized :U which sounds really cool though I'd be slightly nervous because I've never taught anyone else to crochet.

I tought my friend & co-worker Gloria how to crochet. We were having ongoing computer issues @ work so I took a small project with me. While everyone else sat there twiddling their thumbs I grabbed my WIP and started going to it. She kept staring at what I was doing and asked me to show her. Now the ex-marine is working on her first blanket, in Camo!

I'm in the process of teaching my 10 year old niece to crochet. She's learning it pretty well but I don't think she's ready to pick it up as a hobby yet. Her attention span is too short and she gets bored with it. But at least I got the basics in her head. She'll probably end up like me. My grandmother taught me when I was very young but I just couldn't get into it. Then a few months ago, I sat down and gave it another shot on my own and I'm completely hooked.

I tried to teach my 11 yo middle DD to crochet, but she just couldnt get the hang of it. I even took her to a class at Michaels, but she still didnt get it. (she is a leftie) She was pretty dissapointed, as she really wanted to crochet with mom but She has since learned to knit, and is doing quite well. My 14yo DD has no interest in learning, and my almost 7yo DD is still abit too young. Her attention span is still pretty short!Deb in Cool and comfortable WI

I too am self taught but I taught my daughter and son (in that order ) when they were 5 and 8 repectively(now they are 8 and 11 :)) . I think my son wanted to learn mostly because he couldn't stand the thought of his little sister knowing more than him:) I also teach anyone who requests me to . I refreshed my mil's knowledge and taught her how to read patterns.I have also taught my husband's nieces to crochet and read patterns as well:) Last year when I worked in a school I taught the 4th,5th and 6th graders how to crochet and they all picked up very well. Three of them(including my son ) crocheted samples for their math project exhibition. One girl crocheted afghan stitch squares and represented the bar graphs and line graphs and another made plane shapes and my son made 3d shapes like the sphere,cone and cylinder!! I was very proud of them. I have these pictures but somehow my camera refuses to let me download /offload the images !!! one of these days I hope to eventually catch hold of my hubby and get him to set things right:) Sorry to have rambled on but teaching crochet is the next best thing I do (the first being collecting patterns lol)

hugs

Vims

currently teaching one lady in my complex to do the granny square:)

I taught several of my friends to crochet but I learned how to do some stitches from my grandmother as a small child. Taught myself to read a pattern when i was pregnant with my first born 35 years ago. Have been crocheting ever since. Now trying to teach my daughter-in-laws and granddaughter.:)

• 3 weeks later...

My mother taught me the basics when I visited for Thanksgiving a couple years ago. And I've taught most of my friends, although most remain knitters more than crocheters. The little Knitter's Circle I go to at work keeps clamouring for me to teach them (as the lone crocheter) but I haven't yet. It's little more intimidating to teach co-workers!

I tried to teach my cousin to crochet a few years ago. I think she figured that I'd show her what to do and she'd get the hang of it instantly. She didn't really make much of an attempt before deciding it wasn't for her. If you ask about it now she says she doesn't have the talent for crochet and will leave it to me. I guess I didn't do a good job of motivating/teaching her. :( It makes me hesitate to offer to teach anyone else. Not that I know anyone who wants to learn. lol

I don't mind helping someone out, but I always recommend they get a good set of instructions and try to follow it...that way they can learn to read directions later.

I learn some very preliminary crocheting (just a chain and sc) from my Aunt Maxine who was unfortunately mentally challenged, but boy did she love to crochet animals!

But when I started to get into it in earnest (this was back in the late 70s, and I wanted to do some of the popular granny squares at the time), I remember buying an instruction pattern from McCalls (looked just like a pattern you'd buy to make a stitched shirt, etc., but it was for granny squares). The instructions were very well drawn and it was easy to follow.

I taught my friend and her eight-year-old daughter the chain stitch and single crochet last week. The eight year old only learned how to chain, but her mom's going to teach her to sc. Apparently the younger one has been making some looooooong chains at home. They both love it!

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried. Haven't really run across anyone serious. The first time I tried, my friend was only interested in making spectacular knots (and she was really good at it too, lol). The second one was trying to steal my life and didn't really care about the craft. Not a good track record I'm afraid.

I tried to teach my cousin to crochet a few years ago. I think she figured that I'd show her what to do and she'd get the hang of it instantly. She didn't really make much of an attempt before deciding it wasn't for her. If you ask about it now she says she doesn't have the talent for crochet and will leave it to me. I guess I didn't do a good job of motivating/teaching her. :( It makes me hesitate to offer to teach anyone else. Not that I know anyone who wants to learn. lol

I tried to teach my brothers wife and had the same experience but THEN my step daughters began to show interest and so far one of them has made 2 belts and a scarf and the other is working on a sweater for our dog, and their only 6 and 8! I also have a friend who wa salways with me when I went shopping and she would give me the funniest look when I would pet yarn, I taught her to crochet and in less than a week she had made a belt and a scarf and now we pet yarn togeather:cheer I think it is more the individual than the teacher when it comes to teaching, so dont give up, next time someone is looking at your hooks and yarn with that special gleam in their eye go for it!

I just recently taught a friend of mine to crochet and she loves it! She is hooked (pun intended) and is becoming addicted to yarn. She has made some wonderful items for a beginner and I just can't wait to see how many other beautiful things she can make.

It's nice because now I have someone to crochet with.

I also taught my girls. They crochet with me every now and again. I love that.

Archived