Have you taught someone else to crochet?

Yep, it's FUN to teach others to crochet! Some of those I've taught are my three daughters, their Girl Scout troops, their 4H groups, a Wendy's employee, some friends, some family, and more! I usually give each person their first hook and skein of yarn, and I ask them to teach at least one other person sometime in the future and to make at least one charity item for the charity of their choice instead of paying me! Also, if they do make items for charity, I donate yarn to them from others who donate it to me and from yarn I pick up for that very reason! I want this art to keep being repeated for generations to come!! :cheer

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also self taughted with a little help from a woman who could do it all, knit, crochet, sew, bake etc. I've tried to teach others but they don't want to start with the basics; jumping in over their heads and giving up.

I have taught my 8 year old daughter how to knit and crochet. She just finished an halter top, skirt and shoes for her Barbie. She loves:manyheart to do both, i.e., crochet and knit. I have tried to teach my 24 year old how to Crochet and Knit, but she never showed any interest until she saw the cute hat on the kitty posted by CrochetCronies. Now she wants to crochet a hat for her cat, Bailey. So . . . . I am trying to teach her how to crochet in her spare time, which isn't much since she works full time at the hospital and is in med school, but we will see how it goes. I think teaching my 8 year old was easier than teaching my 24 year old will be. My 24 year old is at an age where she craves insant gratification and perfection. My 8 year old is just happy to finish something and say "see what I did"? Last year my 8 year old and I made hats and matching scarves for all of the girls :cheer (11) in her 2nd grade class. She was so proud and felt so accomplished:clap . The boys were not interested in such things, and would have been insulted and embarassed :blush to be presented with a scarf or hat. It is an interesting age to say the least:think

YES! My Mother gave me some pointers, but was not a good teacher. I learned mainly from a book. I taught my daughter, and am in the process of teaching my 9 year old granddaughter. The art needs to be passed on. I have crocheted for over 40 years. If I am sitting, I am crocheting:manyheart

I got the head of our IT department at work hooked. I can't say I taught her anything. I just showed her a few things (chains, single crochet) and went with her to get yarn, hooks, and to buy a book that would teach her the rest. All the while saying "I'm the last person you want teaching you anything..."

She used the book to figure out how to do a ripple pattern and was making an afghan type thing. "A practice peice that got carried away," she claims.

I have tried to teach crochet, but I'm still fairly new at it myself, so I don't know if I am the best person to be teaching it. I did teach my sister how to knit though.

I tried teaching my 12 yr old daughter she has got some of the basics down and about a month and a half ago I taught a friend the basics she has made a purse and is currently working on a blanket using a Q hook and 3 strands of yarn.

I am self-taught. I taught my cousin when she was 20, my sorority sister when she was 18.

I taught my son when he was 10. My son is left-handed and we had a hard time teaching him, but I sat in front of the mirror with him and told him, "Don't watch Mommy, watch the mirror. That did the trick! But he doesn't crochet anymore.

I'm teaching my 8 year old niece now.

I've taught 3 of our daughters, although 2 of them just got too lazy to count and when rows didn't come out even gave up. My youngest daughter just had knack for it and just won her first 2 ribbons. I've also taught a couple friends the basics. I would gladly donate a couple hours a week to young girls wanting to learn this craft.

Wanda Kay,

Both the Girl Scouts and 4Hers REALLY appreciate people coming to teach their kiddos how to crochet or knit! Do you these local groups nearby? If so, I bet they would be HAPPY for you to teach them! I've done that here and it was VERY rewarding! :hook

Several of my colleagues had learned to crochet in their childhoods, but until they saw my projects had not realized that crochet can be used for anything other than doilies. I didn't actually teach anyone, but they still count on me to provide patterns and guidance, and , usually, want to make exactly what I have made, which is a problem because I never follow patterns exactly, and never remember to write down my changes.

I taught my little sister to crochet years ago. I've also taught a couple of people around town. My little nephew (9 yo) wants to learn, so I may have another to teach there. I enjoy teaching people as long as they have the patience to learn!

I only relearned about a year ago, but when I started bringing in my crochet to the library where I work, my supervisor suggested a crochet class for our YA children this summer. We made friendship cuffs from a pattern in one of our new books, and out of 8 girls 5 of them finished! :yay It may become a periodic activity during the year.

I was terrified, but it was a LOT of fun, and immensely satisfying. Can't wait to do it again.

• 6 months later...

I have taught one of my sisters from church to crochet and I am currently teaching another sister from church. Although, I don't think I really know a whole lot, but I know enough to get them started.

I taught a couple of friends to crochet, they did for a while but they're working with kids so free time is not that available.

I did teach another friend to design. She had the basics down and when I introduced her to symbol crochet she really took off!!

I'm not a particularly patient person, but I did teach my best friend to crochet, with the aid of The Happy Hooker. I'm proud to say she's still at it. I tried to teach my sister, but she got frustrated with the gaps in her crochet and gave up. For reasons completely inexplicable to me, she is immune to the addictive nature of the art. ;)

I own a yarn store, so I have monthly crochet workshops and classes. I started out teaching 4-H kids tho. Grandma taught me when I was 8, but I became really serious about it when I was 25. Now I do alot of designing. (i'm 35 now) I was afraid of designing up until a year or so ago. I had always made up my own patterns, but never wrote them down for anyone else to use. Now I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived