Do you keep any of your crochet projects, or do you give them all away?

Gran

So far I give the majority of it away. The amigurumi and crocheted food go to my daughter and my friend's kids; I made a slew of hats for adults around Christmas time and those were gifts; I also do hats for the NICU/PICU babies so those obviously don't stay here long.

In December I crocheted a pantera/calorimetry for myself and my ridiculously long hair--then I cut said hair, and I don't really need it anymore. :lol

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give most of it away. I have two blankets I like & the first blanket I ever did (which I'm sure you can imagine wouldn't be give-away quality:lol )

If what I make isn't already earmarked as something somebody has asked me to make, either hubby, daughter or mum in-law whisks it away...none for meeeee. *pout* Whenever I say to hubby daughter or mum that I would like one for myself they always say "well, you can make another". *more pouting*

T-

I also give most of my things away. I make things for charities, for gifts, and other reasons.

I don't even remember the last thing I kept for myself.

But it's good to give things away that help other people.

:manyheart

I kept the first blanket I ever made & after that everything I made was given as a gift. I recently completed a vest for me & I'm redoing it - again for me. Other than that even my current WIPs are for someone else.

I do agree tha the cost of yarn is a hindrance - I justify giving mine away by thinking that I would have spent that much in buying a gift. I guess I'm lucky in that most people I've made items for have appreciated the time & effort that went into making them. That makes me feel good & want to keep working on more projects.

i give away the mojority of what i make. i do have some doilies i kept and 1 afghan that is all mine. my hubby has his afghan and my girls each have 2. i also have a christmas mantle scarf i made for my home that i kept.

I keep some, sell some and give some away. I crochet hats for the homeless..those I give away. I take orders for baby afghans..those I sell and sometimes I actually keep something for myself...

I'm probably about 50/50. Mostly what I give away, though, is in place of something that I would have had to buy, like for Christmas, birthdays, showers, and things like that. Right now all of my WIPs are things that I will keep or will stay at least in my household.:clap Well, unless I decide to give away one of the Saraphinas that I'm working on with inherited yarn that I don't know what else to do with. I know a woman who would really apriciate it and could probably really use it. :) I just don't have room to store what I do have and I would rather see it used than just sitting around. :yes

Generally, I give it all away because most are made as gifts to begin with. I recently finished a hexagon lapghan from scraps that started out for someone else....and I really coveted it...:) I don't think I could have given it away even if I tried. I wound up making something completely different to give away, and it took me 2 years to finish the hexghan for myself. The only other item I've made for me, me, me is a 70s style vest that I made last fall. I wear it to work occasionally; and I had the nerve to add pompons to the ties!!!!! It's very retro and I love it. Oh, if doll clothes count, I've made some that I still have, but I generally make those and give away or sell.

• 2 months later...

I think that most folks who crochet couldn't possibly keep all of their projects! :eek You have to move out the old so that you can make room for the new! :lol

I give everything away too. I actually made myself a tote bag(not finished yet but getting there)when hubby asked who it was for and I told him me, he was quite surprised. I enjoy making things, then giving them away to people who I know appreciate them.

Kim

• 2 months later...

I start out making for myself but end up giving it away. I have not kept anything I made. I am sure people are saying to each other OH NO she didnt make me something again LOL. But I dont care i enjoy it and its so much fun picking out the yarn and finding a new pattern that you just can't wait to make. I am making the cathedral rose blanket now and not sure if I will keep it, might be a first. I know I will never make anouther one.

Most of the time, I'm crocheting with a specific person in mind. So, yeah, a lot of what I make is given away as gifts. I find myself keeping certain things, though. The only problem is... when I'm making something for me, I don't work as quickly on it. :lol

I give most of my stuff away. Mostly to my son or I make Ami's for charity. That's about all really. I am making my son a blue afghan right now and I can't WAIT till it's done so I can show you all. I love the colors they are. I'm using a varigated yarn called Ocean from red heart and it makes me calm just seeing it. I am also using a light blue so it's going to be nice. I'm making it in a V stitch because 1. it's quicker lol and 2. it is not heavy we live in the desert, we don't even really use blankets. But my son loves to wrap up in blankets or afghans even when it's 115 out! He's really excited to get it.

Archived