Do you keep any of your crochet projects, or do you give them all away?

Gran

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give all my amigurumi to my boyfriend and a made a few scarves for some friends. I have made a couple bags for myself for my camera and iPod. I tend to be more motivated to finish my projects though if I know I'm going to give them to someone.

Most of it's given away but I just finished a Doris Chan sweater for me and am starting another one. When I'm too tired to make sure I'm doing it right I work on chemo caps for kids cause I get pretty much instant gratification from them.

~ Debby

I give way too many away. Most people don't appreciate the work. I finally made a side to side sweater for me and I wore it the other night and a friend said, "if you have time to sit home and make stuff like that you need a life" :think

I am entering a big "me" phase, although I will still make gifts for the holidays. (I bet I gave away more than 20 scarves, and 3 shawls over the winter months, just because someone said they liked them. Got to the point where I did not have a scarf for myself!

I give way too many away. Most people don't appreciate the work. I finally made a side to side sweater for me and I wore it the other night and a friend said, "if you have time to sit home and make stuff like that you need a life" :think

:ohdear I just don't 'get' comments like that. Isn't spending your time being artistic, creative and making things "Having a life"? I often wonder what these people would consider more important . . . watching TV? You keep going the way you are!

~ Debby

:ohdear I just don't 'get' comments like that. Isn't spending your time being artistic, creative and making things "Having a life"? I often wonder what these people would consider more important . . . watching TV? You keep going the way you are!

~ Debby

Oh I will keep going! :crocheting And yes sitting watching TV AND crocheting is much more productive than most. :yes I can't sit with idle hands and crochet has been a Godsend to me.

I donate a lot of the things that I make, but I have kept a couple of blankets and I want to make another big blanket for my bed. I am in a group that crochets for charities and we do fundraisers to pay for all the yarn that we use for donated items so I get to crochet without paying for the yarn as long as I don't keep the item.

I give away everything I crochet! I just recently decided it was ME time!

When I'm done with my current WIP, I'm doing something for me me me!

I give it all away. My son asked me a couple of years ago if I could make him an afghan and I realized all the afghans I've done we didn't have one. So he has his afghan and him and I both have scrafs, everything else is given away.

About half and half... some are gifts to family members, some charity, and some for myself. I'm not very fast, though.. so I don't like to set time limits.

Not criticizing anyone, but I could not afford to spend so much money on yarn and so much time crocheting if I gave it all away... I have to keep some things for myself. I love crocheting, it is relaxing and it gives me something to do... but I like pretty things, too. Most of what I keep for myself are wearables... but I do have a few nice afghans that I did strictly for myself over the years, because I just like the way they look.

I just don't "get" the thing of spending all that time and money and not be able to enjoy some of it yourself. Being charitable is very good, but yarn is not usually free! And your time is not, either.

I have to say I usually crochet for gifts, I have a couple of things I made for myself and my husband has a blanket I made for him but plenty more has found new homes through family and friends:)

I was giving most of it away but like ZoeZoesmom, I'm currently in a ME phase. :D And Cherokee2, you are correct, yarn is not free! I'm getting to the point where if my sister asks me for ONE more thing, I'm gonna offer to teach her how to do it herself instead, and I'm pretty sure she'll pass that up. She'd rather have someone do it for her for free.

I was giving most of it away but like ZoeZoesmom, I'm currently in a ME phase. :D And Cherokee2, you are correct, yarn is not free! I'm getting to the point where if my sister asks me for ONE more thing, I'm gonna offer to teach her how to do it herself instead, and I'm pretty sure she'll pass that up. She'd rather have someone do it for her for free.

Glad I am not alone in the current "me" phase:D

And you know what, cherokee2 is right! People do not have a clue what yan costs. I had made a really nice scarf for a friend and she just couldn't wait to tell me someone offered her 30 bucks for the scarf I made her. Should have seen her face when I told her the yarn cost more than that! (she did not need to know I got the yarn on sale) Really I was almost insulted that my time was not even a consideration. Silly people have no idea how many skeins it takes to complete a project.

I think one out of every 12 or so projects is for me, I'm up to my elbows in commissions, and making stuff for my ETSY shop.

I sell my work on ETSY and make enough to support my crafting habit, and pay the occasional bill.

I give away or sell almost every thing I make. I have made a wonderful cape for me, that I adore. I also have a couple of my hats I've kept. I do keep some of my washcloths and dishcloths...just because I can't imagine using anything else. But, not much else is mine.

Archived