I was sketched crocheting!

I was riding the subway on my way home Saturday. The train was fairly empty, with nothing unusual going on. There was a couple sitting close by that were obviusly tourists...they were snapping pictures of the advertisements. There was a man skecthing in a book and a girl listening to an MP3 player. I pulled out my crochet and quit paying attention to anything else.

About halfway home the man with the sketchbook got up, slid a piece of paper onto the emtpy seat next to me and ran off the train to catch a connecting train.

I was pretty surprised when I looked at the paper and the man had sketched me crocheting! I looked out the window and was able to manage a wave of thanks before my train took off again.

The pic of the skecth is on my blog:

http://craftychristina.blogspot.com/2008/04/artsy-on-subway.html

That is so cool! You definitely need to frame it.

One day about 4 years ago a stranger sketched my children in the grocery store - I framed them both to remember the moment & to show them when they were older. They love looking at them now.

That is fantastic.. I agree with everyone else who suggested framing it and hanging it in your house.

Sometimes, little works of art like this look amazing hung. I have a sketch of my now (17 year old) hanging in the lounge room, that he sketched for an art project in year 4 where they had to do a self portrait. Everyone comments on it and thinks that it is fabulous that I kept it.

Obviously something about you sitting there quietly and calmly crocheting, struck a nerve with him and moved him to sketch you.

Everybody hears about the awful things that happen on the Subway, but very rarely do you hear about the cool things like this. I agree, it's one of the benefits of living in the City and one of the things I miss the most. Congrats on your beautiful sketch - you make a lovely muse.

Archived