~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

If you start a new thread for doing socks......

.......I bet half the posts will be mine......

4 needles........aarrrrrrrgghhhhhhhh !

I suppose you want me to go dig out a set of them needles, huh ?

Wonder if I can bury them in the bottom of the box, somehow............

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patti, great job! Your knitting is indeed very even. I know people who've been knitting for years who haven't mastered that. Most beginners (and some experienced knitters) tend to purl more loosely than they knit (or just the opposite).

As for the 4 needles...remember, you only knit with two needles at a time! The actual challenge is remembering that! (Always start with your empty needle...don't use a full needle as your working needle) And learning to knit socks teaches you a LOT about knitting, even if you never knit another sock. You learn about short rows, picking up stitches, as well as knitting with double point needles (remember, only two needles at a time!). Knitting socks with worsted weight yarn is a great way to start.

And, happy holidays everyone! Whatever you celebrate, I hope you celebrate something, religious or not.

I recently took a class that taught how to make socks on a cable set of needles.....all you have to do is google Magic loop socks here is a link I found on the web http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html

At first it was tricky but then I got the hang of it

I used a 40" cable needles....

You can use this techinque for any knitting in the round.

Here is a photo of the socks I made in class and since

Also did mittens the same way which are in the photo :knit

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/kalbrecht7/DSCI0378.jpg

Patti- nice work ! I agree, your stitches look very nice and even !

Kelly- great work on all your items ! You guys are GOOD ~~~

and Christi- I'm game to give the socks a try --I'll have to hunt me up some of them needles. I can't promise my socks will turn out to look like socks, but I'm game to give it a go, if you have the patience .

I guess I better dust a set of them 4 needles off. You people are going to talk me into this........I can see......it's a slippery slope around here :)

I think I have one of those circulars around here somewhere. I did try that years ago, and it seemed that all I did was tangle them up.

I mentioned in several posts here.....I used to do knitting and crocheting about 30 yrs ago. So it's pick up the needles now, get the kinks out of my fingers, pick up the yarn, and try.

I don't follow a pattern well though. Getting better at it, as I struggle through a few of them. I believe I knit left handed though. I start with the work on the needle in my right hand, and work it over to the second needle using the left hand.

When I bring the yarn to the front of the current stitch, I can just hold the 2 needles freely. When I work the yarn to the back of the stitch, I have to brace the needle in my left hand on my leg, so the needles are at a right angle -90 Degrees- to each other.

One thing I do, and not sure why, after I get a row done, I usually hold the needle with the work on horizontal to me, and then *tug* the work down.

The current project I am working on, I thought I started with 40 stitches cast on. I realized a few rows into the work, that I have 41 stitches. So I probably did cast on 41. Not worried though, as it is practice work, and not following a written pattern. I ended up with 3 different colors of varigated yarn. I am now back to the second color, and will finish it today going back to the first color, I started with. So color1, color2, color3, color2, color1. I am going to try to make it into a hat. Hoping the hubby will like it and wear it. If not, I will :)

KellyA.....I really liked your work in that picture you posted.

Maybe circular needle is the way I want to go. But I do need to conquer that 4 needle set. Not that I want to, but I should. Heck, maybe it will work out the better for me.

First of all Merry Christmas, I know how to do the basic knit and purl stitch at the moment I am trying to learn how to do the cable stitch but I would love to be able to learn to knit socks. I love all the beautiful yarn that is out for socks and I am willing to tackle learning how to make socks. So after the holidays if learning to make socks is on the post count me in. :manyheart

Donna F- glad you decided to jump in ,and welcome also Cheeria !

I'm kind of excited to try the socks myself ..

Christi - I had one question about the pattern though. Could you tell me how to do it without any color changes like the pattern has ? I think just learning the dpn logistics will be enough for me to start with, then maybe I will be brave enough to try color changes after that .

Hi Knitwits, Got room for another? I want to give knitting socks another go. Last year I made it to the heel before giving up. Thanks, Christi for the link to the moon socks...it looks easier than the one I was following before.

Now, where did I store those needles?

Merry Christmas, everyone!!

:wreath:ctree:wreath

I finished my shawl last night

:yay Gonna get a photo here in a few. Don't know if I'm real happy about the edges. Seems unfinished to me. I tried to crochet a border on it but it took all the drape right out of it :yes Oh well, at least it's done and it's just utilitarian for me anyway :D

Congrats on finshing your shawl already, Cara ! You are gonna be just as speedy at knitting as you are at crochet .

Oh no I doubt that will ever happen :lol Talk about slow going even when I picked up speed. Judy made a very good analogy....it's like sc'ing every row. Did do a test swatch of the stockinette last night to see if I could do that and it came out pretty good too :yes

Hmmmm....definitely not impressive looking in the photo :no Looks better in real life but see what I mean about it looks "unfinished"? Oh well, it'll do the job I need it to do :yes

shawl2.jpg

Cara that looks great. I really like how it turned out.

I ran out of yarn for the angel dishcloth. So I started one from the sugar n cream website. I was hoping to finish it today to give to our friends when we go over for dinner but I'm not sure it'll be happening. I'm not even half finished. Oh well I'll save it to give to someone else at another time. Santa gave me some bamboo size 15 needles so I will be getting out my vanna yarn to try them out probably tomorrow.

Happy Holidays..

Now that you have tackled knitting, there is an excellent web-site - knitty.com with great patterns for all levels.

I can also knit in garter stitch, but find it so slow after crocheting. I do want to improve and whenever I start to knit a pattern, I drop it for crocheting. I started a BICO in knit and ripped it out to finish in crochet....keep on keeping on....:cheers

Lookin good, Cara- looks real soft and cushy !

Soft and cushy it is :yes Attractive? Not so much :lol I'm sure future projects will be better. I also have my spiff new knitting machine to try out as well which might be lots of fun. But I still think it's good to know how to hand knit. I must admit though the slowness of the knitting can be very relaxing :yes

Hmmmm....definitely not impressive looking in the photo :no Looks better in real life but see what I mean about it looks "unfinished"? Oh well, it'll do the job I need it to do :yes

shawl2.jpg

I like it just the way it is. It looks comfortable and warm. I'm almost done with my small cloth. I finished the knitting part. Now I'm doing a border in dc and I think I'll finish it with one row of sc just to neaten up the edges. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

Everyone's talking about socks. I have a few skeins of self-stripeing sock yarn. I'll have to get a few sets of dpn's and try making socks too. One other thing I want to make is a graph ghan. Maybe a small baby blanket just to start out with.

Archived