~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

I have finally decided on a project. Gonna make one of those prayer shawl things but for me. I like the width. I'm gonna do it all the in the garter stitch because that's nice and squishy :yes I cast on 60 sts with the bulky yarn and 13 needles. Hope that ends up wide enough :think Anyway got about 15 or so rows done last night before my hands started hurting. A prolific knitter I won't be :no But I will have finally learned :yay

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks :hug It is just a combination of stitches. I did garter for a while, then stockingette and then garter again. I also threw in a few rows of ribbing for awhile too (k2,p2). I didn't count my rows at all and just played around with the stitches. The garter stitch sections look wider so I probably wouldn't do this mix again too much (but it is just fine for wash cloths :D ) I had fun working on it :manyheart

Karen, yes, garter is wider than stockinette, 'cause the stitches are wider. One way to overcome that, for, say, a scarf, is to always keep the first few and last few stitches in garter. For example: on 27 stitches, 5 rows of garter; next row (WS) start stockinette in the middle: k5, p 17, k5; next row (RS) Knit. Rinse, repeat these 2 rows at will. End with 5 rows of garter.

But, as you say, it doesn't matter with a dishcloth! Playing is always good!

Julie, it IS possible to knit socks on 2 circular needles...here's a link for you: http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2005/10/two_circular_ne.html.

There are 8" and 12" circular needles, but stay away...far away! They're supposed to be for knitting small diameters like socks circularly, but they hurt your hands.

I can't help with 2 circulars, 'cause I use 4 double points and I have no idea how hard or easy it is, except some people swear by this method. As far as DP's are concern, you need to remember only one thing: You're still knitting with 2 needles at a time. Just knit off the first needle, which will become your empty, working needle. Then knit off the next, etc. etc. A good way to tell where you are is to mark a stitch at the beginning of the round. On the first part of the sock (the leg) you can simply use the tail to tell where the beginning is.

For all the budding sock knitters here, this site is a wonderful, step-by-step tutorial. Also helps with DPs.

When I was in Germany I had a friend (german girl married to a chamorro) and when we went into the PX to buy knitting needles she mentioned to me that the american sets of DPN's comes in a set of 4 while the german sets comes in a set of 5. I asked her whats the difference? She said when she knits in the round the stitches are on 4 needles and the 5th is used as the working needle to work off the stitches. I guess it's just how you learn and how you're comfortable doing it.

I have finally decided on a project. Gonna make one of those prayer shawl things but for me. I like the width. I'm gonna do it all the in the garter stitch because that's nice and squishy :yes I cast on 60 sts with the bulky yarn and 13 needles. Hope that ends up wide enough :think Anyway got about 15 or so rows done last night before my hands started hurting. A prolific knitter I won't be :no But I will have finally learned :yay

Sounds good. I'm currently making a small cloth to use to wipe my sweat when I go walking with my dh. Oh, I'm making it using the garter stitch and cotton thread. I'm using a #8 needle. I'll show a pic when I get new batteries for my camera.

Viola :D Here is what I made up this evening (it took a few hours while watching TV):

th_DSC07023.jpg

It is using CaronSimply Soft and 6mm needles. I started with 30-odd stitches and played around with things. I planned to use it for a face cloth but when I experimented with that just now I didn't like it so I will move it into the kitchen :lol The tension isn't too even yet but getting better (I hope). I haven't done any knitting in ages so it is taking a bit to get back into the rythem of it.

Another stitch pattern you could use to practice is the basketweave. Thats what I'll use for a baby blanket. I have some TLC baby yarn I think I'll use for it. I think I'll use a 10x10 pattern-10 sts wide by 10 sts high. I'll see if that looks good or if I need to adjust it. But that'll be after the holidays.

Cara: Can't wait to see the progress on your shawl! Those prayer shawls are wonderful.

Island Girl: That used to be true, the 4 vs 5 DPs. Now, most companies sell them in 5s. Anyway, it's a good idea to get 5 even if (like me) you use only 4 at a time. Those little suckers have a habit of hiding in a deep, black hole, never to be seen again.

Plus double points are useful on their own. You can knit an i-cord with 2, in a pinch you can use them as cable needles or stitch holders (put rubber bands or point protectors on them if you do), you can even "drill" holes in felt with sharp ones. They're useful for anything where you need a sharp pointy object.

Exactly why I decided to do that diagonal dishcloth, only four stitches to cast on. I find it very difficult to cast on the stitches evenly.

When I was learning to knit I made one small cloth with that same pattern. It was very pretty when it was done. Then in the middle I did a duplicate stitch and put a heart in it. Don't remember what happened to it. I know I didn't have it when we came back home. Still, it was fun making it. :):yes

Cara: Can't wait to see the progress on your shawl! Those prayer shawls are wonderful.

Island Girl: That used to be true, the 4 vs 5 DPs. Now, most companies sell them in 5s. Anyway, it's a good idea to get 5 even if (like me) you use only 4 at a time. Those little suckers have a habit of hiding in a deep, black hole, never to be seen again.

Plus double points are useful on their own. You can knit an i-cord with 2, in a pinch you can use them as cable needles or stitch holders (put rubber bands or point protectors on them if you do), you can even "drill" holes in felt with sharp ones. They're useful for anything where you need a sharp pointy object.

I didn't know :think they did that now. At my lys they only have the sets of 4. I've been there recently and thats what I saw. I'll be getting some when I could just so I can practice with them. :yes

Today did not go well at all. I think I am all thumbs just trying to learn how to hold my needles and the yarn and coordinate myself. I have given up for the night and sent my needles to the corner to think about cooperating more tomorrow. Well I guess I will go finish some crochet squares I promissed to make. I will try again tomorrow. I WILL learn if it kills me or I punish my needles too musch and they run away.

Today did not go well at all. I think I am all thumbs just trying to learn how to hold my needles and the yarn and coordinate myself. I have given up for the night and sent my needles to the corner to think about cooperating more tomorrow. Well I guess I will go finish some crochet squares I promissed to make. I will try again tomorrow. I WILL learn if it kills me or I punish my needles too musch and they run away.

:lol :lol :lol

Tammy, I can relate! I remember that when I was learning to knit. But honestly, one day you'll have an "ah hah!" moment, when you suddenly realize you're knitting without thinking about it. No, really! :yes

I have given up for the night and sent my needles to the corner to think about cooperating more tomorrow. I WILL learn if it kills me or I punish my needles too much and they run away.

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Don't give up. It's like almost anything new. It takes a while to get the hang of it. There are still days when I feel like I've got all thumbs and no fingers and two left feet thrown in for good measure.:hug

I hope i get better at it but right now im still at the point where i want to use the needles for dart practice...grrrr....it makes me so mad when these hooks wont hold still :rantI want to rip my hair out :thair ...i swear its like where Moses throws down his staff and it comes to life as a snake...really they did :sweat

I have to find something to make...my DH decided that he liked the crochet log cabin better then the knit one so im on the hut again and will just do the crochet log cabin in the "ME" CAL.Right now im just going back and forth with the yarn to practice.I can do the knitting good and it looks great but i just cant get the decreases and increases to look right and when i do an M1 it leaves a big hole.

Question???

Does it take more yarn to crochet or to knit???

Question???

Does it take more yarn to crochet or to knit???

Crochet takes more yarn, unfortunately.

Deep breath, hon :hug I think someone already said that the increases leave a hole. I haven't gotten that brave yet. I'm sticking with plain straight garter stitch for now :yes

I think it's one of those "the universe is out of kilter" days. I was trimming ends and snipped a stitch in an afghan and of course it's way back.

Shaylen, if you're doing the M1 from front to back (that is, inserting the needle into the "ladder" from the front, towards the back) you need to knit that through the back loop (behind the needle). This twists the stitch so there's no hole.

Hope that helps! I know this problem very well...I had the same problem until someone pointed out the twisted stitch thing to me.

Is the one you are doing from Lion Brand (called Comfort Shawl) using homespun?? I saw someone wearing that shawl last night and it is very nice (cushy and pettable). I think I may just make that for my project too (as soon as I get the yarn) :yay

Karen, yes, garter is wider than stockinette, 'cause the stitches are wider. One way to overcome that, for, say, a scarf, is to always keep the first few and last few stitches in garter. For example: on 27 stitches, 5 rows of garter; next row (WS) start stockinette in the middle: k5, p 17, k5; next row (RS) Knit. Rinse, repeat these 2 rows at will. End with 5 rows of garter.

But, as you say, it doesn't matter with a dishcloth! Playing is always good!

Thanks for the advice :hug

Another stitch pattern you could use to practice is the basketweave. Thats what I'll use for a baby blanket. I have some TLC baby yarn I think I'll use for it. I think I'll use a 10x10 pattern-10 sts wide by 10 sts high. I'll see if that looks good or if I need to adjust it. But that'll be after the holidays.

I've seen that stitch before and it looks really neat (and I'll be trying it someday on another washcloth) :yay

Is the one you are doing from Lion Brand (called Comfort Shawl) using homespun?? I saw someone wearing that shawl last night and it is very nice (cushy and pettable). I think I may just make that for my project too (as soon as I get the yarn) :yay

No I'm making it from Bernat's Softee Chunky because that's what I had. It's coming along nicely. Slowly, but nicely :lol

Crochet takes more yarn, unfortunately.

Deep breath, hon :hug I think someone already said that the increases leave a hole. I haven't gotten that brave yet. I'm sticking with plain straight garter stitch for now :yes

I think it's one of those "the universe is out of kilter" days. I was trimming ends and snipped a stitch in an afghan and of course it's way back.

Not true. Not all inc.'s and dec.'s leave holes. It just depends on what you're doing.

Ok I am officailly taking a break for the weekend. I have banished the needles to the corner for the remainder of the weekend for two reasons.

1. I am all thumbs and just cant get a grip that works for me yet.

2. I stilll have a quiet a few crochet WIPS that I need to work on. - 5 babies coming March thrugh June doesn't leave a lot of time.

I am not giving up just taking a breather to finish 2 Xmas gifts then I will try again.

Well after all that napping yesterday I didn't get to sleep until 3 this morning. Of course I went to bed at 2 but Little Miss Tuon thought 2 a.m. was the perfect time to play :cat:irk Usually this is no problem but I had to get up at 7 (2 hrs early) to accompany dear nephew to a tummy test.

But on the bright side I did get about 12 more inches done on my shawl! :yay

Archived