~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

Christi-- we'd love to see photos of your socks, either when they are done or as they progress. They ARE on my "gotta learn this " list .

I second that, knitted socks are so pretty and I just love looking at all the pretty color sock yarn on line. I must learn how to knit socks, I just must learn it. It is on my to do list for the new year that and learning filet crochet. :knit

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Busy Bee!!!

I'm using Knitting Pure and Simple's Beginner Sock pattern. They are available at most yarn shops, I think. Check out knittingpureandsimple.com - they have a list of yarn shops that carry their patterns!

Christi-thanks for sharing the photos-- nice job ! One of these days I'll get the equipment to try them myself -- that has gotta be a goal for this year .

Ann- I don't know about the other group -- although I thought it was one that you had to be a member in here for a certain length of time or maybe a certain number of posts, but I could be totally wrong. I know I'm in it, but rarely remember to go in there -- i spend all my time in this area .

I think we have enough ladies in here interested in learning the socks-- I do need to get hold of the easiest pattern possible and the right size and number of dpn's .. I'm game to try it, not saying I'll be able to do it, but I'll give it a shot . :)

Here's a really cool site on how to knit socks. I also hope to make socks soon. I'm working on another hat, and chris picked up some more yarn for 2 more. My brother saw me knitting one at the party today and now he wants one too!

http://www.royea.net/sock.html

Can I be in this? I'm trying to get beyond scarves, and I just got a knitted dishcloths book that I'll be doing some things from.

Well, of course you can!!!! C'mon and have some fun with us!!!

Amy

It sounds like you are getting into the hat business now with others asking you to make them --good for you !

And thank you for the sock pattern-- when it said knitwit- I knew it was for me -- now to find the right needles and yarn .

Shay -thanks for the afghan pattern. i printed it off and it's very pretty .

Yaviiniia- sure, you are welcome, pull up a chair . :)

Well my new sweater is coming along very slowly :lol Yesterday I cast on my stitches and did one row. Today I will do another row :D I told you I was slow :lol Actually I will hopefully do more than one row today. We have another snowstorm going through here and I am staying indoors instead of going out anywhere. I should get some other work done but will probably knit and crochet off and on all day :yay I'll post a picture of my progress when there is enough to see something :blush I find the first few rows slower going (especially with this particular pattern and needing to pay attention to K3, P3 ... Once I can see what the pattern looks like after a few rows I can quit counting every stitch (but still need to watch what I'm doing....)

Alrighty twenty minutes and two rows later :lol Just screaming along :yay It is a summer sweater so I should get it done in time :lol But I am enjoying it. The ribbing is slower but will get a bit quicker once I establish the pattern. The front and back pieces are all ribbing and the sleeves are stockingette.

Good mornig everyone. I will be leaving you for a bit to finish a baby blanket I am testing and then I will rejoin you. My dishcloth actually turned out pretty good after I finished it. I will post a picture later if I can. I only have a few days to finish this blanket them I will be back soI can learn to purl next. See you soon.

Can I join too??

I just tought myself to knit about two weeks ago and I really like it! Right now I am making a preemie blanket, I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, maybe donate it... It isn't anything great, just garter stitch, but I really like the way it's turning out. I'll post a picture later. I would LOVE to learn how to make socks, so if we have a CAL for those count me in :knit I'm just a bit afraid:scared of the double pointed needles!!!

Now if you all didn't think I was nuts yet here are two pictures I found online that I really want to learn how to make in the future. NOTE that I have NOT made these - I only dream of making these!!

This one is a free online pattern called Icelandic lace shawl. It looks amazing and maybe I might be able to tackle it on day (once I learn how to do lacey stitching)

th_icelandic_lace_shawl.jpg

This pattern comes from a book called "Three cornered and long shawls" (it is in Icelandic and includes an English translation) I'm putting this onto my birthday wish list (and if hubby doesn't get it for me I'll get it for me - though it's about $45)

th_icelandicshawl1.jpg

My ancestors are Icelandic and my maternal grandmother used to do this type of knitting (and I want to learn!!!)

I think I may add this to my list of new year's resuolutions :yes

Karen-wow, those are gorgeous shawls-- you really are taking well to this knitting aren't you ?

I am taking to it. I don't like to see a pattern and not be able to think about doing it. I have been thinking about learning how to do lacey knitting and this is as good a time as any to learn :yay Plus I am stuborn (hubby teases me that once I get an idea in my nut there is no knocking it out of there :lol - this can be a good and a bad trait)

Archived