~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

Christi - I had one question about the pattern though. Could you tell me how to do it without any color changes like the pattern has ? I think just learning the dpn logistics will be enough for me to start with, then maybe I will be brave enough to try color changes after that .

Julie, the Basic Beginner Sock pattern is made with variagated yarn, so no color changes....... I just started another pair of socks this afternoon, this time with color changes, and I must say it's a little easier than I thought. I'm using LionBrand WoolEase in pink, grey, and maroon.

Cara - Beautiful job on that shawl!!!

Sherry - Great start on your socks!! How many did you cast on to start?

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rud:2snowman:ctree

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!

I started another knit project a bit ago! I'm working from the same hat pattern I used last week, but I'm changing it a bit to make it just an ear warmer to go around the head and cover the ears. I'm hoping I have enough yarn to finish it. I decided to use leftovers from the hat.

I guess if I don't have enough yarn for it, I'll have to make my hat first, and use those leftovers as well!

Hmmmm....definitely not impressive looking in the photo :no Looks better in real life but see what I mean about it looks "unfinished"? Oh well, it'll do the job I need it to do :yes

shawl2.jpg

It looks great! And what a big project to start with!

I recently took a class that taught how to make socks on a cable set of needles.....all you have to do is google Magic loop socks here is a link I found on the web http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html

At first it was tricky but then I got the hang of it

I used a 40" cable needles....

You can use this techinque for any knitting in the round.

Here is a photo of the socks I made in class and since

Also did mittens the same way which are in the photo :knit

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/kalbrecht7/DSCI0378.jpg

I love the socks and mittens! Great job!

I think I might have to join in on making some socks too!

Let's see if I can post a picture correctly :)

Nope, not going to work for me.

Guess I need to give the url for the album.

You can click on the picture to enlarge it.

http://imageevent.com/ladytoysdream/knitprojects?n=0

You can right click on the url, and then tell it to open in a new window.

That way you won't lose your place here.

Great start! Looks way better than my first knit project. I can never keep the same tension when knitting and purling.

Thanks, Christi-

I just printed out the pattern and saw the photo at the bottom and thought that was the one we were doing, the one with the moon on it .

I'll go back now and look at the pattern again . I have one skein of WW to use already. Gotta go check the yardage on it to see how much it is .

I'll go today and try to find the DPN's . They did have them at our walmart, but they have gotten rid of lots of craft things, so not sure they still have them .

I'll give a shout out when I find some. We have a small yarn shop next town over, but the lady who runs it is semi-retired from it, I guess you'd say. She kinda makes her own hours now and I doubt she'll be back in til next week .

Christi -

I must have looked in the wrong place. i looked under free patterns and found the moon socks, then looked under just "socks" and saw the ones you were talking about. That's not a free pattern, is it ?

Just thought it was, but I didnt see anyplace to click on it, so will go back in to see about ordering it . :)

Julie, the sock pattern I suggested is not free. I apologize for not making that clearer. I'm going to check out the site Sherry suggested. I'll bet we can try one of those, if you like!!

Hi Christi- it's ok, if you get time to check the online free patterns, that's fine, but I looked up on the website that you gave us with the sock pattern and emailed one of the yarn stores listed in our state that might have the pattern. Haven't yet heard back from them .

I also drove over to the little yarn store next town over, but they were closed, as I thought they'd be . They had a sign up that they are having a big end-of-year sale there tomorrow, but it is a half-quilt and half-yarn store and 2 different ladies run it, so most of the time the quilt part is the main part open, but the yarn part isn't open nearly as much .

She may be open tomorrow since it's a sale day, so I'll try to get a chance to run over there.

Walmart had only one size of dpn's, they were 5's,so I didnt get them . The yarn store has quite a bigger selection of knitting needle sizes, so i am hoping they will be open .

If not, I may have to just order my things online .

I'll keep you updated .

Hi Christi, Just a couple of quick questions. Is there a way to make the slipped stitches on the purl side a little neater in appearance? And will those be hidden when making the gusset? Stitches in question are on the left side of the photo.

2847796680094065822S200x200Q85.jpg

i have been reading this cal for awhile and I noticed that there was talk of working on socks. If you all decide to do this I would love to give it a try. I have been wanting to give it a try and make my son some socks. I will keep my eye on this cal.

Ok I am offically trying again tomorrow. I am going to meet with one of the ladies in my local "Knitwits" group tomorrow for my first official lesson. I sure hope it goes a lot better than me trying to learn on my own. I wil let you know how it goes. I will learn to at least make a major attampt at dishcloth before this year is over. That gives me a few days anyway. If not then there is alway 2008 to learn. See you tomorrow.

Ok I am offically trying again tomorrow. I am going to meet with one of the ladies in my local "Knitwits" group tomorrow for my first official lesson. I sure hope it goes a lot better than me trying to learn on my own. I wil let you know how it goes. I will learn to at least make a major attampt at dishcloth before this year is over. That gives me a few days anyway. If not then there is alway 2008 to learn. See you tomorrow.

You can do it Tammy!!! :cheer :cheer We'll be your cheerleaders :manyheart:hug

Give your slipped stitch a little tug before you purl the first time.......these are the stitches you will use when you start the gusset, so yes, they will be hidden.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.....I went shopping with my mom!!

Hi Christi, Just a couple of quick questions. Is there a way to make the slipped stitches on the purl side a little neater in appearance? And will those be hidden when making the gusset? Stitches in question are on the left side of the photo.

2847796680094065822S200x200Q85.jpg

Hi guys

Thought I'd jump in here to tell you I'm still kicking. I'm still working on the garter stitch scarf -- my DIL has already claimed it, as I figured she would when she saw it, since it has some shades of brown in it and that's her favorite color. I actually knew when i started it that she'd probably be the one I make it for, when I saw how the browns looked. I wasn't making it for anyone in particular, just for a practice scarf .

she really loves the things I make her and asks me quite often to make her things, so I don't mind . It's nice to have someone who appreciates your projects .

she really loves the things I make her and asks me quite often to make her things, so I don't mind . It's nice to have someone who appreciates your projects .

You got that right! :yes Ever notice how those folks always get more giftites from us as well :D

Archived