~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

Cindy- very good ! Halfway done already -- good for you !

Lisa- thanks very much for jumping in and for pointers -- this is nice to have you guys to answer all these questions that I have about knitting -- they are things that I think a beginning knitter should know ,so it helps me feel like I am learning more to have this info .

Linda- thanks for the offer of help ! We are going to each have our very own personal knitter trainer if we keep getting offers of help !

OJulie- thank you for taking so much time to post all the info. I am actually gonna print it out so I have it in front of me .

Thanks to all of you ~ :manyheart

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies, might I suggest we look for the stitch n bitch knitting book by the same author of our SNB Happy Hooker book? I think thats one book that will be very useful to us. I'm going to my lbs to see if they have any in. If not, I'll ask them to order it for me. I have a cone of cotton thread that I'm thinking to use to make me a small cloth to wipe my sweat when I go walking with my dh. In fact my dh wants me to go walking this afternoon again so I'm going to see how fast I can make one using the biggest needles I have. :whew Lets see if I can do it. :D Oh, I'll be doing the garter stitch with this, :knit knit every row.

You gals are a very bad influence - JULIE!

I started knitting a hat! What am I thinking? I've got 3 or 4 things that need to be finished before Xmas! At least one I can wait until the 30th to finish, but still it's too much to do! And I don't see my self having a day off until Xmas day, and who knows when after that.

Anyway, the hat I started is called Fake Isle. It's a cool idea, and I'm having fun starting it, but we'll see how it goes when I get to the Fair Isle part and adding on a new color (not too much experience on that yet). I've got 8 rounds done so far, hopefully I'll get a couple more done tonight.

:crocheting

Oooh, Amy, thanks for the link to that hat pattern! (See, now you're an enabler!) I happen to have the odd ball of Kureyon AND Lamb's Pride.

Cara, if you tend to knit tightly, the size 13 needles with bulky should be about right.

Can't wait to see what you ladies are knitting up!

Viola :D Here is what I made up this evening (it took a few hours while watching TV):

th_DSC07023.jpg

It is using CaronSimply Soft and 6mm needles. I started with 30-odd stitches and played around with things. I planned to use it for a face cloth but when I experimented with that just now I didn't like it so I will move it into the kitchen :lol The tension isn't too even yet but getting better (I hope). I haven't done any knitting in ages so it is taking a bit to get back into the rythem of it.

Ok so today went a little better I at least managed to cast on today and do a few rows of knit. I will try to post pictures later this week.

Keep up the great progress everyone. The pictures are great.

I dont know about you but I am determined to at least make a wash or dish cloth by the end of the year. Better get back to it if that is gonna happen.

Great work Karen!

For some reason I can't put this hat down! I'm halfway through the first chart! Wow, I'm moving right along! So much for getting anything else finished though!

Great work Karen!

For some reason I can't put this hat down! I'm halfway through the first chart! Wow, I'm moving right along! So much for getting anything else finished though!

Oops...looks like Amy is distracted by shiny objects like I am :rofl

:cheer:cheerGO KNITWITS!!!!! :cheer:cheer

I may need some cheerleading of my own.....I've got a backpack and a pair of sox to finish before Christmas!!! Luckily, the temp assignment I'm on allows me to take my knitting along with me......I've got just a little bit left on both sox and the straps to finish up on the backpack........

Christi, you're lucky you can take your knitting to work! Sounds like you're fine on the socks. For the backpack, is it felted? If so, have you considered sewing those nylon straps you can get at a fabric store onto it? (I know knitted straps can go on, and on, and on)

Ok im in!!!

Ive been learning to Knit off and on for the last 20 years and just couldn't do it,then this year found out that if i do it the English way i can do it...im not great yet and my DH says hes tired of waving a white flag when he opens the door and that hes tired of digging out the drywall repair kit but HAY i can live with it :lol

I had a sweater going but bit off more then i could chew so im going to use this KAL to practice and get better...im going to do the log cabin and hope i don't kill anyone :think

Its here:

http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/01/log_cabin.pdf

I saw one on Ravely that was just beautiful and gorgeous and lovely and well you get the picture.I MUST HAVE!!!!

I've been plugging away on this hat! I've only got 12 more rows left, and I really want to stay up and finish it, by my fingers hurt, and I have to work in the morning.

Have a goodnight!

Great job Karen! :clap:cheer How did you get that pattern? Is it garter stitch for a bit then stockinette? :think

Nice work, Karen! Looks like you mixed garter & stockinette and made your own pattern! :clap

Thanks :hug It is just a combination of stitches. I did garter for a while, then stockingette and then garter again. I also threw in a few rows of ribbing for awhile too (k2,p2). I didn't count my rows at all and just played around with the stitches. The garter stitch sections look wider so I probably wouldn't do this mix again too much (but it is just fine for wash cloths :D ) I had fun working on it :manyheart

Wow, Amy, now THAT is a project for the more experienced, I'd have to say ... the color changes alone make me get the hives, but something tells me you'll have it done today and it'll look just like the picture --- you are one talented little miss, has anyone ever told you that ? :yes

Karen -good job on the face/dish cloth ! Looks like you had a good chance to practice some different stitches that way and you did a nice job !

Tammy- you can do it, we know you can-- keep on knitting ..

Shay-welcome in, that pattern will be very pretty ! Got some colors picked out yet or will it be a scrap blanket with lots of colors ?

Christi- will you post some photos when your items are done so we can see them ?

OJulie- I just thought of 2 more questions-

Is it true that in knitting ,you have to wait til the end of a row to add a new skein when you are close to the end of one ?

And do you weave in the ends just like in crochet, or is there another way of doing it for knitting ?

Christi, you're lucky you can take your knitting to work! Sounds like you're fine on the socks. For the backpack, is it felted? If so, have you considered sewing those nylon straps you can get at a fabric store onto it? (I know knitted straps can go on, and on, and on)

I'm thinking about crocheting the straps.......I'm much faster that way!!!

I am finally near the finished line on my dishcloth. :clap 10 more rows and then I have to learn how to finish it off. :eek

Karen your's looks great.

Amy wow I am definitely no where near ready for that sort of project. I can't wait to see yours though.

I forget who posted the log cabin but that looks great. I can't wait to see pictures.

Tammy, when I began knitting, I found casting on the hardest part...it was awhile before I got comfortable with it. So, you're well on your way. :cheer

Happy knitting, ladies!

Exactly why I decided to do that diagonal dishcloth, only four stitches to cast on. I find it very difficult to cast on the stitches evenly.

Karen, your dishcloth looks great.

Amy that hat looks pretty complex to me. I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

I can only knit a few rows at a time and then one or the other of my hands is numb. I can't figure out why that is. Anyhow, back to the dishcloth!

OJulie- I just thought of 2 more questions-

Is it true that in knitting ,you have to wait til the end of a row to add a new skein when you are close to the end of one ?

And do you weave in the ends just like in crochet, or is there another way of doing it for knitting ?

Julie,

1) I have always joined in the new skein whenever and wherever it was needed using a square knot to secure the join.

2) I just weave them into the knitting. If the join is on a seam, it is easier to make them invisible, but it certainly isn't mandatory.

:cheer:clapGo, KnitWits, Go! :clap:cheer

Thanks Linda ~

Now I have another question, although THIS is a long ways down the road for me- when making socks, do you have to use the 4 neddles, and if so, how do you tell what needle you are working on , like what if you lay it down to go get a drink, then pick it back up, how do you keep track of where you leave off ?

This seems to be really puzzling to me .

Julie, I can answer that one!!!

Yes, you need to use the four needles (called DPNs or double pointed needles) because they don't make circular needles that small. As for knowing which one you left off of, it's actually pretty easy, because your working yarn end will be coming out of the needle that will go in your left hand. As long as you have the outside facing you, it's quite easy to figure out, as you always go right to left on your loops. Make sense?

Julie, it IS possible to knit socks on 2 circular needles...here's a link for you: http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2005/10/two_circular_ne.html.

There are 8" and 12" circular needles, but stay away...far away! They're supposed to be for knitting small diameters like socks circularly, but they hurt your hands.

I can't help with 2 circulars, 'cause I use 4 double points and I have no idea how hard or easy it is, except some people swear by this method. As far as DP's are concern, you need to remember only one thing: You're still knitting with 2 needles at a time. Just knit off the first needle, which will become your empty, working needle. Then knit off the next, etc. etc. A good way to tell where you are is to mark a stitch at the beginning of the round. On the first part of the sock (the leg) you can simply use the tail to tell where the beginning is.

For all the budding sock knitters here, this site is a wonderful, step-by-step tutorial. Also helps with DPs.

Archived