~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't use the circular needles because I hold my needles goofy-like. I anchor the left hand needle into the crook of my hip to hold it stationary and knit off that needle onto the right hand needle. So basically I am only moving my right hand. (works for me - sort-of :P ) I also use the continental method. My sister knits the same way (and is much better at knitting than I am - although that is not a big challenge :lol )

I can't use the circular needles because I hold my needles goofy-like. I anchor the left hand needle into the crook of my hip to hold it stationary and knit off that needle onto the right hand needle. So basically I am only moving my right hand. (works for me - sort-of :P ) I also use the continental method. My sister knits the same way (and is much better at knitting than I am - although that is not a big challenge :lol )

A lady at my WW meeting who is a fantastic knitter does it the same way! She makes lots of graph patterns....sweaters and ghans.

OMG some one else that's knits like I do.... I have never seen anyone else hold needles like I do. My grandmother used to say I looked like I was jacking up a car with my right hand!! I have tried to hold the needles the right way but then I drop stitches. I knit very slow so I always prefered crochet. Plus don't laugh but I can't stop in the middle of a row. If I do I don't remember which way I was going!! I know it's sounds stupid. So if you call me leave a message...I'll call you back when I finish the row!!!!!

I went and checked out the video that Darski posted back on page 2, and to my surprise, found that that was the lady that owns the LYS nearby. I found these videos very helpful too:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

I have mastered casting on and off, and I can knit continental, but I am so slow and awkward. Its going to take a lot of practice. There won't be any big projects coming off my needles any time soon!

Donna, your washcloth looks good. The pattern looks pretty.

OMG some one else that's knits like I do.... I have never seen anyone else hold needles like I do. My grandmother used to say I looked like I was jacking up a car with my right hand!! I have tried to hold the needles the right way but then I drop stitches. I knit very slow so I always prefered crochet. Plus don't laugh but I can't stop in the middle of a row. If I do I don't remember which way I was going!! I know it's sounds stupid. So if you call me leave a message...I'll call you back when I finish the row!!!!!

:jumpyay I'm not the only one who also has to finish a row before I can stop :rofl Whenever I try keeping both needles up in the air I feel like a chicken trying to get into flight :rofl Just doesn't work :lol This way works for me and I am happy to know I am not the only one (besides my sisiter who can knit circles around me!)

Deb, dont feel bad I finish either a whole row or a section before I put it down as well so I dont get lost.

I normally buy the shorter size needles unless im doing something big cuz they are easier for me to hold onto. I tried over the summer to make socks using dpns talk about ackward, I have a hard time usning the 4 needles and then I couldnt put it down til I finished cuz I would forget totally where I was lol.

Evening ladies :D

Well, I shoulda waited til after reading all the posts before I went shopping :lol But I did okay I think. Got 3 pair but they're the long ones because the time before that I did knit I did the holding the one toward my hip but actually mine was more under my arm :blush Anyway....got sizes 10, 10 1/2 and 13....had to get the 10 1/2 because they were a pretty color :heehee Didn't even know they came in half sizes.

But after dinner I might give it a whirl! :yes

Great job Julie. :cheer

After Christmas I really have to work on this because mine is really loose. I can't get it tighter to save my life. And now that I put it down for like ummm.....6 months or maybe longer :blush I don't even know how to get it on the dang needles. :lol

Okay think I have the hang of this again :yes Something did dawn on me this time around though...I crochet left handed but I knit right handed...can't figure that one out :lol

Julie - Your strip looks great! So nice and neat :yes

For those looking for knitting needles, you might want to check out Ebay. I got a huge SET of about 30 needles for $15 that included shipping. Much cheaper per-needle than buying at the store.

:rofl I just did the same thing!!! I bet I bought from the same seller you did...only I got about three sets...two sets of circulars (different lengths) and a set of straights (didn't win the double pointed ones I wanted :(). And I got three LARGE crochet hooks ...all of bamboo...what a deal!! Still waiting for it to all arrive.

I was thrilled to see this thread...I know how to knit and purl (really slowly) and that's it...can't remember how I casted on and still don't know how to cast I off. I started a scarf MONTHS ago and am probably only a third of the way finished. It is so much slower than crocheting.

So I'm all for learning more from you tube...thanks for the links!

For you gals that are worried about ONLY knowing how to knit and purl, I've got some news for ya. That's all knitting is! There are a couple other things that are nice to know, like slipping stitches, Knitting 2 together, but they're all fairly easy once you can knit and purl.

I REALLY want to start another knitting project. I find it to be challenging, crochet gets boring sometimes (lately). For some reason I haven't really been inspired by my crochet projects, but probably because the projects I'm working on have been WIPs for months. I need to get them finished!

Julie your strip looks great. I really like that color. :yes

I don't know how I knit.:think I hold one still but it's in the air with the other. I think it looks alot like in the videos since that's what I was trying to copy.

I did get myself a present from Santa to me. A set of Bamboo size 25 needles. So after Christmas I will get to try making my scarf. They are very pretty too. I figure since it's for my stocking I should treat myself with something pretty. :lol

I did get myself a present from Santa to me. A set of Bamboo size 25 needles. So after Christmas I will get to try making my scarf. They are very pretty too. I figure since it's for my stocking I should treat myself with something pretty. :lol

Sounds good to me:D:D

no knitting yet - maybe today since I'm staying inside where it's warm and there are no gale-force winds!!

My knitting bag did make it downstairs from my closet and is now in my yarn nest:D

no knitting yet - maybe today since I'm staying inside where it's warm and there are no gale-force winds!!

My knitting bag did make it downstairs from my closet and is now in my yarn nest:D

That sounds like good progress. I hope you stay warm. It's cold here too. Good crocheting/knitting weather :hook

I'm just the opposite...I crochet right-handed, and knit left. Go figure!

Isn't that just the oddest thing? :lol Guess it's just one of those weird mysteries the universe throws out to keep things interesting :D

Hi ladies

I just realized I havent checked into the ville at all today-- good grief ,the world must be ending ! I never thought that would happen !

Sam is home on vacation and Cam is here, so it kinda throws everything off kilter, you know ?

Anyhow, thanks for the comments, and welcome to the new ladies who signed in.

Tab- maybe your needles are too big or yarn too thin-- I'm not real good at matching them up, like with crochet, you know if you use baby yarn, you need like an F or G hook... etc ?

Well, I don't know how knitting needles match the size of the yarn . I think I knit kinda loose too, so try to use either a thicker yarn or smaller needles .

Judy- you made progress bringing your bag down to sit by your chair !

Cara- sounds like you got you some good needles --and for those who knit with one hand and crochet with anohter-- I do both Right handed, but whatever works for you is fine. :)

Donna- good for you, getting you a gift from you -- I do that ,too .:lol

Okay, here's my :2c two cents. :lol When I knit continental, I hold my yarn the same way I do for crochet. I make my right hand needle do all the work and I can go alittle fast. Though I have a few long straight knitting needles given to me, I prefer to use circular needles. Cause then you don't have the weight of everything on the sides if you used straights. And less strain on your hands. Am I making sense?:think:lol Anyway, knitting is like crochet, find the way that works for you and go for it. :):yes

Pat that's how I do it too. I hold my yarn just like when I crochet. I've tried all the ways they showed to hold your yarn and none of them felt right. I didn't even think of circular needles for that reason though. That's a good idea.

Archived