~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh it's been a busy, busy day! Got up very early to go with nephew to the hospital for a test. That took 3 hours. Came home took an hour nap. Hubby went out while I was asleep. When he came home he presented me with 300 bucks for my Christmas gift! :jumpyay I actually got one of those knitting machines. Extra hand knitting needles too, though :yes Nothing wrong with two ways to do something :D Oh and I got the SnB knitting book too!

And I came home and found out my niece is officially in labor! :yay I might be a grand aunt within the next 24 hours :manyheart

:woo I finished the hat!!!

Ok, so I finished it a couple of days ago, but haven't checking in lately. I finished it the day after I started it, and when I picked it up the second day, I noticed that I dropped a stitch (or something weird happened). But, I got it fixed right up without too much effort!

I'll have to see about getting a picture!

:woo I finished the hat!!!

Ok, so I finished it a couple of days ago, but haven't checking in lately. I finished it the day after I started it, and when I picked it up the second day, I noticed that I dropped a stitch (or something weird happened). But, I got it fixed right up without too much effort!

I'll have to see about getting a picture!

Congrats on finishing the hat. :yay

Can't wait to see it.:yes

Ok I am officailly taking a break for the weekend. I have banished the needles to the corner for the remainder of the weekend for two reasons.

1. I am all thumbs and just cant get a grip that works for me yet.

2. I stilll have a quiet a few crochet WIPS that I need to work on. - 5 babies coming March thrugh June doesn't leave a lot of time.

I am not giving up just taking a breather to finish 2 Xmas gifts then I will try again.

It seems we're the opposite. I was working on a crochet magic potholder that for the first time was coming out right.

Now, I'm knitting a small cloth that I want to use to wipe myself with when I go walking. And that one is actually coming out good too. :lol I'm thinking another 3 inches then I'll end it and I'm also thinking of crocheting the border. I'm not sure how I'll do that yet.

It seems we're the opposite. I was working on a crochet magic potholder that for the first time was coming out right.

Now, I'm knitting a small cloth that I want to use to wipe myself with when I go walking. And that one is actually coming out good too. :lol I'm thinking another 3 inches then I'll end it and I'm also thinking of crocheting the border. I'm not sure how I'll do that yet.

Pat, one of the reasons I recently took up crocheting was because crocheted borders on knit pieces are pretty, AND it makes stockinette lie flat. Can't wait to see what you do with your piece.

Pat, one of the reasons I recently took up crocheting was because crocheted borders on knit pieces are pretty, AND it makes stockinette lie flat. Can't wait to see what you do with your piece.

Thanks. :) My piece isn't curling. I just wanted to make it look nice. :D And you're right, crocheted borders on knitted pieces Does look pretty. :yes

Morning to all you witty knitters !

Didnt have much time yesterday to come in and check in, but today should be quieter .

Cara- have fun with the new knitting machine !

Amy-can't wait to see the hat !

And to all of you still working away at the knitting, good for you . We'll all get it if we keep at it long enough .

Cindy- I think me and you could be tied for slowest knitter-- I'm not real speedy myself yet, but with practice, it is going a little faster . :yes

You are all doing just great! Here's a sample of a little project that's fairly easy to make. It's a preemie hat.

DCP_1294.jpg Cast on 40 stitches. Do knit 1, purl 1 ribbing for 7 rows. Do stockingette stitch for 22 rows (knit a row, purl a row). Next row knit two together across row (20 stitches when done.) Purl next row even. Next row knit two together across row (10 stitches when done.) Purl next row even. Cut yarn leaving about 12 inch long tail. Thread yarn on yarn needle and remove stitches from needle by sliding yarn needle through stitches from the far side. Pull loop tight and sew together seam with the rest of the tail. Pompom on top is optional. Donate to nearest preemie unit. They love them. This was done using size 6 needles and worsted weight yarn.

Linda- that is so cute, thanks for sharing ! I'll print out the pattern and give it a try one of these days. I'm still working on my scarf, which hasn't gotten enough attention this week. Gonna have to spend some time with it and get a photo posted of what little I have done on it so far.

I'm real please with the color, though,it's turning out real pretty .

Hi

This will be my first project here.

You call them CALs or in this case a KAL.....knit along....correct ?

And this is a get ready to do one thread....the way I understand it.

I crochet right handed. I knit left handed.

I also have a big knitting machine that I need to get set up, and get going with.

Actually I have 2 but the smaller one I will be selling at some point in time.

I have done some practice knitting on the smaller machine. I had to teach myself.

I even went to one meeting of a local machine knitters group a few years ago.

Probably won't do that again, though. Unless I got going on a project and got really confused on something and could not fiqure it out with some online help.

I think for my first time back major project....it's been many years since I knitted...

I want to build a poncho.

I think I may try a few knitted hats sometime this week. Better to get frustrated

ove a small project first me thinks :)

Hi Lady and welcome ~

Could you give us your first name ? It always makes it sound more friendly in the groups if we know each other's first names .

I am glad to have another person join , but will have to say up front that I know very little about knitting, but we have others who have been really nice to come in and answer our questions.

They do have a Beginner's Knitting class, but I think most of us are someplace PRE-Beginner . At least I can say that for myself . :lol

Hats or scarves seem to be something pretty good to tackle as first projects .

As far as the knitting machines, I know even less about them than I do hand-knitting ,but there are some who may be able to give you info, etc on those too .

Anyhow, welcome aboard ! This place hasn't been super-busy just yet, but I think once the holiday is over, it'll come to life a little more . :)

Hi ,

I just did my signature here, so hope that gives you a bit more info about me.

I like the pre beginner idea myself for knitting. I am a bit rusty and will need to

get myself up to speed. I am using your thread to get myself motivated :)

I also have to get that machine set up. I made a promise to myself. Within the year, but hopefully asap. I have too much stuff stored in the other room, where I want to set up the machine. I need to get it listed on ebay, and serious selling when I get back to the flea market this spring.

Hi Patti and thanks for the name -- it is much easier that way if we all know each other's names. It's like we're pals, you know ?

I believe Cara just bought a knitting machine of some type if i remember correctly, so maybe she and you can work together on those projects. She had a party to attend yesterday so may not check in til later today sometime, but she is a great help and really has her crafting skills down to a science .

Anyhow, good to have you along and we can maybe all help each other to keep motivated . I have said for YEARS that I want to knit. Now I'm going to,that's it, no more putting it off. :yes

Good morning, ladies.

Welcome to Crochetville and this KAL, Patti. Glad to have you join us. I have a knitting machine and have done quite a bit with it in the past, although I haven't had it set up in a while. Getting it going has been on my list of things to do for a while now. Maybe you'll be my inspiration. :)

About all I accomplished yesterday was knitting most of two preemie hats. 10 rows to go on one of them and then sewing the seams and then making adding the pompoms.

Welcome to the group, Olga.

Judy-nothing wrong with changing your first project .

I think with knitting ,since it is slower and takes more concentration ( at least for me) ,that maybe something small is best at first, then we can build up to bigger things .

Linda- that'd be great if all you guys with the machines could compare notes and help each other out !

Okay, after weaving in my ME ghan ends I may just get my kn...kn....kn....kn...knittt...kniittt...knitting stuff out & give it a go again. I make no promises & the first time it hits the wall i'm done. They are giving lessons in Febuary in town for $25 so if all else fails maybe that'll be best but i'm skeered. :scared

Archived