~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

Thanks donna and Susy. I was using straight needles when I was first learning untill a friend let me try circulars. And one other thing I like about them is it's easier to use on take-a-long projects. Either tonite or tomorrow I'll dig out my needles and maybe start a small dolls blanket just to practice. :)

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I had already posted that my local group was called Kitwits and when they saw this they would bug me to learn to knit but now there is a consperacy going on. My sister just sent me a box with double ended kneedles, sock yarn, Sock patterns and pictures of her in the snow with no shoes on. The caption on the picture says "I need someone to save my poor toes from freezing so please make me some warm socks!" Ok I guess after Xmass I will be learning to knit. I will join you after the new year if not sooner.

Ok I had already posted that my local group was called Kitwits and when they saw this they would bug me to learn to knit but now there is a consperacy going on. My sister just sent me a box with double ended kneedles, sock yarn, Sock patterns and pictures of her in the snow with no shoes on. The caption on the picture says "I need someone to save my poor toes from freezing so please make me some warm socks!" Ok I guess after Xmass I will be learning to knit. I will join you after the new year if not sooner.

Talk about your subtlety :lol

This is going to be fun. I tried to cast on and that was a disaster! There are two women in my local group that knit and crochet so they just volenteered to teach me. We usually meet every saturday but we are skipping this weekend since many of them will be out of town. I am going to read through this whole thread now and see what I can learn before we meet again on the 29th. Maybe I can suprise them and myself too.

Are there any rules to this CAL I need to know?

I think I've mastered casting on finally. I'm not sure that I'm doing it right, but I think I am. I'll get my mom to check it out when I see her next week. I have been trying to knit a diagonal dishrag. I have been knitting for an hour and I am less than 1/4 done. I don't see any large projects in my near future!

Hi everybody...just peeking in to see how you ladies are doing. I'm an avid knitter who is just getting back into crocheting, and I appreciate all the help here. So, I want to give back a bit. If you have questions, I'll try to answer. Meanwhile, a few tips:

1. Do watch the videos Julie posted.Here's the link again. For those dropped stitches, see the "knitting tips" videos. There are videos on how to fix mistakes that we all make.

2. Give yourself time! This ain't a race or a contest. Knit and purl a bunch of rows of about 10-15 stitches before you start a scarf, afghan, etc. Your tension (gauge) will change as you become more comfortable. Sure, gauge doesn't matter in a scarf, but you still want the same approximate tension throughout the project. (If you find yourself loosening, or tightening, up, during a project, change needle size). Remember, every knitter, no matter how advanced, was once in the same place you are.

3. There are stitch patterns but only two stitches: knit and purl. Once you learn those, you can do just about anything.

4. Many beautiful scarves have been made using only garter stitch (knit every row). If you knit with needles a few sizes larger than suggested, you get a "fake lace" look.

5. Have fun! Stop once in awhile to admire your knitting.

6. You'll make mistakes. I'm considered an "advanced" knitter and I make 'em all the time. Forgive yourself. Remember, it's only yarn!

Pat-thanks for the tips, and come on in, anything you make will be fine !

Tammy- You are DESTINED to knit, it seems. The signs are all pointing to it . That was neat of your sister to send you the stuff and the photo -- good luck on the socks- I'd like to learn to do them someday .

And nope, no rules here to speak of-- my CAL's are pretty loose on rules. We just like lots of posts and nice people ,but we've never seemed to lack in either area, so that's all the rules I can think of ! :lol

Cindy- glad you got the casting on down -- good for you, and there's no rush, take your time .. this is supposed to be fun . :)

Apple- thanks so much for dropping in with your help -- we are always welcome to that -- we can never have too much help in this area, that's for sure.

I have already seen what you mean about the tension --in my first strip, it is wider at the beginning than at the top. Not by a LOT, but it's noticeable to me, maybe someone else wouldnt pay much attention to it, but I would .:yes

AppleCider, thanks for the hints and your offer of help.

The only thing I actually know how to do at all well in knitting is straight knitting. I recently finished a scarf. It had 18 stitches epr row, and I made sure that every row had those 18 stitches. Still my scarf is all different widths. Evidently my knitting still needs a lot of work. Hence the dishcloth.

I am knitting it on the diagonal, so I've learned to increase using a yarn over.

I'm sure there must be other methods, since this seems to be creating a little hole where the YO is. I'm not sure if its supposed to, since my mil gave me the pattern. It looks okay and like I said, its only a dishcloth. 10 more rows and I will have to figure out decreasing.

Gardener, you're doing very well if you're knitting on the diagonal with increases! It took me awhile to do that.

Different widths is a result of different tensions. That's perfectly normal in beginning knitting. With practice, your tension will even out. If it's a scarf, it's now an asymetrical scarf and a design feature. Wear it with pride!

Yarn-overs make holes; this is normal and a design feature. I don't know your pattern of course, but usually the yarn-overs line up in a pattern.

As for decreasing, I'm assuming your pattern tells you what method to use; there are many. If it doesn't, the "default" decrease is knit 2 together and you do exactly that: shove your needle under 2 stitches instead of one and knit as usual. It'll feel awkward at first; try to keep your tension a bit looser than normal while you're doing it.

Can't wait to see what people are doing!

Welcome to the group "The other Julie"! I loved your explanation of YO. It made me chuckle because it definitely feels like you're shoving the needle to get it in the two stitches!

Cindy - it sounds like you're making good progress on your dishcloth, and YOs make a project look lacy and will probably give you a cute edging. I'm also curious to know what kind of decreases you'll be doing for the second half.

Thanks Julie. The dishcloth is getting little eyelet like holes along the sides, and I just looked at one my mil made for me and it had them too, so the holes must be meant to be. Of course my holes are all different sizes.... but at least they're supposed to be there!

I think the decreases are knitting two together. I remember thinking that it sounded easy enough. (hah!)

Okay speaking of tension I think mine might be a bit tight :lol After several starts and restarts I pulled out some chunky weight (5) yarn but it's anything but chunky :lol

It's all stockinette and it's curling. Is that normal? :think Looks like my tunisian attempts :lol Not perfect even stitches like with WW either but at least it doesn't have holes from where I missed something :rofl

knit1.jpg

(The Other) Julie - Oooh thanks for explaining the k2tog! :hug That sounds very easy :yes

Cindy: Can't wait to see your dishcloth! It sounds pretty, with the yarn-overs (eyelets). If they're different sizes, call it a design feature!

Cara: Yes, stockinette does curl, on the lower edge and sides. That's normal. If you don't want it to curl (and in a scarf, it's perfectly okay if it does), start out with garter stitch (knit every row) for about 5 rows or so, then switch to stockinette. End with the same # of garter stitch rows. If you don't want the sides to curl, simply border the piece with garter stitch (same # of stitches you used for the top & bottom garter stitch rows).

If you've already started, you can add a...guess what...crocheted border on the bottom later. Use any stitch...just crochet into the cast-on stitches. That will even out the curling.

As for the tight knitting...that's normal for a beginning knitter (some beginners knit very loosely, too). Just change your needle size to a larger one. Eventually, you'll "find your tension." Meanwhile, just knit, admire, and enjoy!

Cara: Yes, stockinette does curl, on the lower edge and sides. That's normal. If you don't want it to curl (and in a scarf, it's perfectly okay if it does), start out with garter stitch (knit every row) for about 5 rows or so, then switch to stockinette. End with the same # of garter stitch rows. If you don't want the sides to curl, simply border the piece with garter stitch (same # of stitches you used for the top & bottom garter stitch rows).

If you've already started, you can add a...guess what...crocheted border on the bottom later. Use any stitch...just crochet into the cast-on stitches. That will even out the curling.

As for the tight knitting...that's normal for a beginning knitter (some beginners knit very loosely, too). Just change your needle size to a larger one. Eventually, you'll "find your tension." Meanwhile, just knit, admire, and enjoy!

Thanks so much!!! Okay ladies...I vote for Julie as our official cheerleader!! :cheer :cheer

Hi Guys

Cara- your knitting is looking good to me ! Very nice and neat .

and I will definitely second the motion that the other Julie becomes head cheerleader-- I can YAK, but knitting explanations are just about an impossiblity to me at this point. I am lucky I can figure out what little I know myself, let alone help anyone else out .

I DID know about the curling thing-- must have read it online someplace, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong .

O Julie ( Care if I call you that to shorten it ? ) -

I am taking your advice -- I think in a post a few back you said something about getting used to the tension thing so your work would be even ,so I am putting the afghan on the back burner and going with a scarf with plain knitting every row, just to practice up on my tension so that each row is the same width across .

THEN maybe I can branch out and try something a little more advanced .

Thanks again for all your tips -we do appreciate them and your time .

I have always found that the first rule of learning is that you are allowed to make mistakes. If you already knew how to do this stuff; it wouldn't be Learning.

Keep going ladies. I can't wait to see what y'all come up with.

Cara I think it looks great so far. :yes

Cindy I'm glad to hear it's looking the way it's supposed to.

So the garter stitch is just the knitting stitch :think Why don't they just say to knit then. That sounds alot easier then I was thinking. I thought I'd have to work up to learning a whole nother stitch.

That decrease sounds pretty easy too.

O Julie-

Could you take a couple minutes if you have time and explain to us the different main stitches, like garter is knit every row, then there's stockinette , etc ... just the basic ones for now ?

And also could you explain about what size needles would go with about what type yarn, like in crochet, you'd use a certain hook for baby yarn and another size for bulky ?

Just so we'd have a chart-type thing to compare them to ?

Trying to think of some other things that I 'd like to know as far as basics ....

Hmm. I'll get back to you when I think of them .

So, the decrease is always just knit 2 together ?

And on increase ,can you explain that again ? I need to look at the videos on yarn overs-- I dont think I am doing them right .

Cindy I'm glad to hear it's looking the way it's supposed to.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that exactly.....It does have little holes in it though!

I am proud to report that I have reached the halfway mark on the dishcloth!

O Julie-

Could you take a couple minutes if you have time and explain to us the different main stitches, like garter is knit every row, then there's stockinette , etc ... just the basic ones for now ?

And also could you explain about what size needles would go with about what type yarn, like in crochet, you'd use a certain hook for baby yarn and another size for bulky ?

And on increase ,can you explain that again ? I need to look at the videos on yarn overs-- I dont think I am doing them right .

Hi, I know the above Ques. weren't directed at me, but thought I would throw in my 2cents....

Just like crocheting (you probably use this already), there are "standards", but of course your tension (guage swatch) will determine what you actually use. I have read that continental knitters tend to knit looser (?):

http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

There are several different decreases, but your pattern will usually specify which ones they want you to use and where. To determine the angle of your stitch, depending where it may fall.

Yarn overs are one form of increase. To create a "hole" in your pattern. Esp. in lace knitting. You YO your needle but don't work a stitch... the videos will really help... I am not so good... sorry.

As far as increase, again, your pattern will usually tell you what kind and where...

Not sure if this helps... but I wish you all the best of luck...

Wishing all of you knitwit learners the best of luck. Patience, patience, patience is the key in knitting. I learned to knit and crochet about the same time, nearly 50 years ago. My mom taught me knitting, although she says that I do it backwards, whatever that means. She usually just says I don't do it right. But I still get the job done. One of my needles is usually anchored on my hip, but it isn't always the same one. My grandmother taught me to crochet. Mom couldn't crochet and grandma couldn't knit, but I ended up able to do both.

:knitKnitting is like doing everything in single crochet, so it goes slower. Just two basic stitches, knit and purl, with knitting being done in the back of the loop and purling being done in the front part of the loop. Everything else is just in how you put them together. I currently crochet preemie blankets and then knit the matching hats that go with them, but have done a lot of more complex things in the past. I'll be glad to be another cheerleader for all of you and answer questions if I can. I always find the first row after casting on to be the hardest for some reason, but it is always easier after that.

I think all your pictures look really good. :yes My first attempts weren't nearly that good.:no

O Julie-

Trying to think of some other things that I 'd like to know as far as basics ....

Hmm. I'll get back to you when I think of them .

Lisa, thanks for jumping in! Lisa is right; there are several types of increases and decreases. The knit 2 together (k2tog) is the most basic, but there's also a make 1, ssk, and others. Rather than explain them here, I recommend looking at the videos on knittinghelp.com...she gives very clear explanations! Also, a pattern that calls for them will often explain them.

Okay, pattern stitches:

Garter stitch: Knit every row. This produces a "bumpy" texture, and lays flat. Stitches are wider than tall.

Stockinette: A two-row pattern stitch. Knit 1 row, purl 1 row. Stitches are taller than wide. If you're making a sweater, the pattern will often call for increases on the stocknette if it begins with garter stitch, to avoid the garter part flaring out.

Ribbing: A combination of alternate knit & purls in a row. Common ones are k1, p1 and k2, p2. You knit the knit stitches and purl the purls on subsequent rows. However, you'll sometimes see k3,p1, or even k5,p1. The k2 p2 combination in particular tends to draw in. Ribbing is used for decorative purposes, but more often so a sweater will fit more snuggly, and around the neck so you can actually get the thing over your head!

Seed stitch: This is actually the opposite of k1 p1 ribbing. You start out the same on the first row. On subsequent rows, you purl the knit stitches and knit the purls. If you have an odd number of stitches, this is easy to do. Frankly, seed stitch is a pain to do for any length of time. I wouldn't do an entire seed stitch scarf, let alone a whole sweater. But it does make a pretty, flat-lying border.

Lace stitches: There are many, and all (to my knowledge) involve yarn-overs. Lace is normally done on larger needles than the yarn normally calls for. The most basic lace is K1, yarn over (YO), k2 together (k2tog), end k1. If you do this on larger needles, you get a very pretty, lacy piece.

Cables: Lots of ways to do this, involving a cable needle. It's simply reversing the order of a few stitches. A small basic cable is C4F. The C tells you you're dealing with all knit stitches in the cable. The 4 is the TOTAL number of stitches involved. The F stands for "front" which determines the direction of the cable. So, C4F would mean: (added: With cable needle in front) Slip 2 sts onto cable needle, K2 (from the main needles), k2 from the cable needle.

There are many more stitch patterns, but all are based on the above.

Whew. Was that too much information?

Okay, needles: a (very) rough guide:

Fingering/baby/sock yarn: 0-3

Sport: 3-4

DK: 4-6

Worsted: 7-9

Bulky/Chunky:10-13

Super Bulky: 11 and up

Naturally, it all depends on your individual gauge/tension, and what you're making. For a scarf, you want it to drape, so in general you use larger needles. If you're working with odd yarns like ribbon, fur, some mohair, you also would use larger needles. (I wouldn't fool with those yarns while you're beginning to knit...use a smooth yarn). If you're making a hat or a purse, you normally want a tighter gauge (unless you're felting), so use a smaller needle.

Hope this helps!

O Julie that's great info! Thanks so much :hug

Well, I started again. I switched to the size 13 needles with the bulky yarn and I like it much better. Now the sides are curling but Julie already told us how to fix that :D

Archived