~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

Well I think I found my project. I even have the yarn for it :yay(thank goodness, not much money for the yarn budget this month :no) Here is the one I'm thinking. http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70489AD.html Although I think they should change the name. I think it will be more like the two week scarf :yes I'm still browsing around looking for more beginning patterns. Isn't there a knitting pattern central around? :think

Ooooh...I like that. I think I'll try the same one. Not sure if I have the right size needles....I see a trip to Hobby Lobby in the near future....

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link Cara. Now I have something to keep me busy this weekend :D

Mindy I'm seeing new needles in my future too. I only have one pair and I'm pretty sure they're too small.They are a size 8 so definitely a trip. Umm... do you think the guage matters too much on a scarf? I'm pretty sure I can only get one pair of needles so I can buy a few and try them all on the guage. Oh and it looks like I need to learn what the garter stitch is :think

Welcome in to KnitWit Krystal -- you sounded like you are signing on for a Self-Help group of some kind ... I guess thats what this is, huh ?

Mindy- good to have you along !

Donna- the scarf is very pretty . I think the gauge is gonna go along with the yarn you use, just like crochet-- thick yarn, thick hook .... so if you use a smaller needle size,smaller yarn .

That's my theory anyhow... :think

Thanks Darski-:) I'll check out the video later- on the way to pick Cam up from school .

Tab- I oughta start about 17 MORE CALs before Jan 1st.. THEN we'll see how big a black hole you fell into !:D

This is great. I have been crocheting for years and I taught myself to knit last year so I could make a fun fur scarf for myself. I haven't knitted anything but a scarf as I am still trying to get the hang of the stitches. I haven't mastered the circular knitting needles yet so I have progressed past the scarf size. This afghan is perfect. It is worked in small enough sections that I can use the long needles. Thank you very much for sharing. I just found my next project.

the only thing I hated about knitting if you drop a stitch and don't catch it right away like I did when I was 1/2 way done with a project before I noticed it :eek and I was not going to take all those loops of and try and put them back on so I frogged it and crocheted the the thing instead :rofl

Too cute? Try: TOO TINY!!!

What do you use, toothpicks?

LOL!! John and I went out to eat tonight, to a burger place. Our burgers were held together with 4" toothpicks......guess who thought about knitting with them?:eek:devil:blush

Julie, I'd be honored to help in any way I can!! I guess I'm an ok teacher...... I just learned to knit this past summer, and I am already teaching beginner classes at my LYS!! Not bragging, by any stretch of the imagination......I always tell my students just how long I've been doing this!!!! Besides, I have an expert to call on whenever we get stuck......the shop owner!!!

I just saw this video at You Tube and I thought about this new KAL. It really is easier for crocheters to knit continental

just for your viewing pleasure

Darski,

Thanks for the link to this video. I watched it and she made learning to knit seem possible! I have always maintained that it's just not for me: too old, hands too messed up by nerve damage, etc., etc.,etc.... But, maybe....

JulieKay,

This KAL is a great idea -:clap! (And I never thought I'd say that about kn-tting!) I'm subscribing to the thread so I can watch everyone's progress, and maybe one day I'll "get up the courage" (as the old folks used to say) and join you. Meanwhile, you guys have fun. :yes

I think I'll tag along for the ride. I'm sure several of you know that I do knit (on a regular basis recently), so I may be able to answer questions...or ask boyfriend the questions so he can answer them.

He thinks I like knitting more than crochet!!! What on earth is wrong with him?

I might join in after the holidays. I haven't tried knitting for a long time. I bought a book once to learn how to knit. Didn't like it at all. It was too much work for me and waaaay too slooow. So I stopped....untill my DH got stationed in Germany(was AD Army) and I met a british lady who taught me the knit and purl stitch. Untill then I didn't know there was more than one way to knit. What I tried to teach myself was the American way and in Germany I learned the continental way. Way better!!! Much easier and faster and alot more fun. I made a baby blanket once in the basket weave stitch then edged it with crocheted shells. Turned out so nice. Haven't made anything else since. :lol Since I live on an Island, scarves are out for me but maybe another baby blanket will be good.:yes

Morning to all you folks !

Christi- I'd be honored to have you as our backup person( in other words, the one who knows how to knit )..I'm just the MOUTH behind the operation, I have about 3 % knitting knowledge, although I CAN cast on, knit and purl, but anything that involves any harder things, I am lost .

Hey Amy - great to see you too, and we'd also value your input too, since you knit as does Chris -- we will need all the help we can get and someone with loads of patience . :yes

Ann- we'd love to have you give it a try too, I hope we can be a little spark under you to at least give it a try .:)

Welcome also to Melissa and Pat ~:hug

LOL!! John and I went out to eat tonight, to a burger place. Our burgers were held together with 4" toothpicks......guess who thought about knitting with them?:eek:devil:blush

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Count me in, Julie:devil

Well I started an easy dishcloth last night. Either I'm having a hard time getting it or I'm doing it wrong. Because it was really hard to cast on and knit the first row. I had a hard time not dropping the stitches. I'm going to check out the links in the first post and the video Darski posted. I was just using a book. So hopefully tonight I'll do better.

I'll have to post the pic of the little bit I knit with toothpicks to make a brooch. That was cute.

Just so you know you are not insane if you knit with toothpicks. Ok, well maybe you are but not for this.. :rofl

I so don't need another KAL or CAL I have to stop reading here.

Welcome Judy !!!

Donna and Bean- go to the video site I posted on post 1 and have your yarn and needles there-- watch the video and follow what she does -- it is real easy if you have your stuff right there beside you and watch her as you are doing it .

Let me know if it helps or not-- it worked much better for me than reading it out of a book .:)

Archived