Patterns- Lots of pictures or Just give me the pattern already!

EmEyeAaay

Patterns- image heavy, or none for me please?  

515 members have voted

1. 1. Patterns- image heavy, or none for me please?

• Do you like you patterns to have many images?
    • Do you prefer 1 image only- the one that shows what it'll look like when you're done?
    • Does it not matter at all whether there's pictures or not?

Question

Hi everyone,

I've been writing my patterns and including lots of images, for me when I was learning it was easier when there was a photo to refer to. But then I was wondering, is it better to just have the instructions without images, so that it takes up less space, and they're unnecessary, or do you include images so that it gives examples, acts as a visual place marker, adds to the pattern aesthetic, etc...

What do you think? I need some advice because I'm rethinking how I design the layout of my patterns. Thanks so much!

• Answers 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to see the finished product. Sometimes other pictures are needed and help you complete the pattern. However, I do prefer that the pattern not encompas 20 pages. I think a good picture of a tricky stitch is a good idea. I guess the question is "Does the picture really add anything?"

I LOVE pictures!! Especially the step by step pics. They sure come in handy on some difficult(I tend to make things difficult)patterns or stitches!!:lol:hook

I like to see a lot of pictures, if possible from different angles. For instance, for a top, I like to see the front, back and side. I am beginning to appreciate the graphs or schematics now. I am currently working on a top with one picture, the instructions sometimes leave me guessing but the graph clears it all up.

I get frustrated when I see patterns posted online without pictures! I immediately move on and look at others that have pics. I'm not going to spend the time and yarn on making something I'm not sure what it looks like.

I realize this is an older post but I've only been a member for a short while and I wanted to comment on this one.

I think that it depends on what the pattern is for and how difficult or intricate the design. If I'm working on something fairly simple and straight-forward a small picture of the finished item is generally sufficient.

Sometimes when you work on something really complicated, good pictures can be a lifesaver. I really hate it though when people do things like draping the afghan over a chair and you really see what it looks like. I mean, what's the point of having photos if they don't clarify and show off your design?

Even if you don't really like to work completely from diagrams, they can still be extremely helpful if you get lost in the instructions.

So unless you want to just make up one format and use it for every pattern you do my advice is to choose your format based on your pattern. But always remember, it takes all kinds to make up a world that would be a lot less confusing if it didn't.:P:lol:yes

I need to have a picture of the finished item. I generally get my patterns by surfing the net and if I can't see what the pattern makes then I don't bother with it because every pattern looks different and I can't visualise it from reading the stitches. I don't think more are necesary unless it is a tricky bit then it does help.

I voted lots of pictures, but what really matters to me are two pictures:

The full shape/size/layout of the finished item and a detail picture. I hate trying to decide if I like a pattern based off a thumbnail of just a section... show me what the finished product looks like!

I like lots of photos :cheer

Different colour combinations, different yarns, different stages of the project, definitely front and back finished pics.

But there's no point in having any pics at all unless they are very clear, some of them are so blurry it's hard to see if you're aiming for a baby bootee or a kingsize afghan :lol

I really love the idea of an "easy print" version for pdf patterns. I like the photos for inspiration and possibly advice, but mostly I follow written instructions so that's all I'd need to print up mostly.

Even just having all the photos on separate pages to the text instructions makes it easier to print as I can choose to print just the text pages.

I usually don't choose patterns that don't have pictures. There are too many beautiful things to make that have pictures. Don't we usually choose to make something because we have seen the finished product and like it?

I totally agree with "cm4bleenmb64" on pattern pictures...I voted More Pics!

I realize this is an older post but I've only been a member for a short while and I wanted to comment on this one.

I think that it depends on what the pattern is for and how difficult or intricate the design. If I'm working on something fairly simple and straight-forward a small picture of the finished item is generally sufficient.

Sometimes when you work on something really complicated, good pictures can be a lifesaver. I really hate it though when people do things like draping the afghan over a chair and you really see what it looks like. I mean, what's the point of having photos if they don't clarify and show off your design?

Even if you don't really like to work completely from diagrams, they can still be extremely helpful if you get lost in the instructions.

So unless you want to just make up one format and use it for every pattern you do my advice is to choose your format based on your pattern. But always remember, it takes all kinds to make up a world that would be a lot less confusing if it didn't.:P:lol:yes

I use pictures all the time. It really helps to understand exactly what the designer is talking about. Different designers use different terminology or wording and sometimes that can be difficult to understand...especially if you aren't used to it. If there is a picture it makes it easier to see what they are talking about.

Sorry I came into this thread so late, but I'm still discovering new places to visit here at the 'Ville! I prefer lots of pics, to show the progress, especially if I'm making something in a totally different area of crochet. I've made several things from your free patterns, and the pics REALLY helped! Ami's were totally new to me, and I love them. (PLEASE keep them coming) :U

I am very visual - and since I taught myself to crochet years ago and relied very heavily on patterns to get me thru cuz I had no one to show me what to do - I really find many images helpful!;)

I get frustrated when I see patterns posted online without pictures! I immediately move on and look at others that have pics. I'm not going to spend the time and yarn on making something I'm not sure what it looks like.

Double Ditto!

I posted my pictures on photobucket and included only 1 image on the pattern itself. I send a link to the album when I send the pattern and offer to accept questions via e-mail or IM if they need it. So far, no one has asked questions but I have only sold about 13 copies.

A picture says a thousand words, one good picture is a "must". If there are no graphs or unusual sts sometimes they just take up space. If the pattern is rated "expert" in difficulty some people may need additional pics to see complicated sts especially if they are learning. :think But then again if your learning you really shouldn't be attempting to make something at an expert level, starting out. :eek Most experienced crocheters don't need more than one good pic of the completed item. As I said, there are exceptions depending on the difficulty of the pattern and whether it comes with graphs, etc. at these times lots of pics can be a real blessing. :hook:clap

Archived