Patterns- Lots of pictures or Just give me the pattern already!

EmEyeAaay

Patterns- image heavy, or none for me please?  

515 members have voted

1. 1. Patterns- image heavy, or none for me please?

• Do you like you patterns to have many images?
    • Do you prefer 1 image only- the one that shows what it'll look like when you're done?
    • Does it not matter at all whether there's pictures or not?

Question

Hi everyone,

I've been writing my patterns and including lots of images, for me when I was learning it was easier when there was a photo to refer to. But then I was wondering, is it better to just have the instructions without images, so that it takes up less space, and they're unnecessary, or do you include images so that it gives examples, acts as a visual place marker, adds to the pattern aesthetic, etc...

What do you think? I need some advice because I'm rethinking how I design the layout of my patterns. Thanks so much!

• Answers 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like pictures too! i've frequently gotten stuck on a pattern line.. and gone back to look at the picture to figure out what needs to be done!

pics also help in distinguishing british/american crochet terms!:P

I guess most of you know that I do doll clothes and usually a bunch of items in a set so I take lots of pics to show the final result and bits and pieces along the way. However, I don't know that my pictures help to get the outfit made. I show how details or parts look... I guess.

I think I use lots of pics because I appreciate them from others and I think newbies can take on a tougher pattern when they can see what it looks like through the process.

its always best to have lots of pictures because then it helps those who need pictures

and those who dont... can just deal with it and just look at the finished pic lol

whereas we, who like pictures, cant really materialize them from nowheres.

although it would be AWESOME if we could X)

I like to see a lot of pictures, if possible from different angles. For instance, for a top, I like to see the front, back and side. I am beginning to appreciate the graphs or schematics now. I am currently working on a top with one picture, the instructions sometimes leave me guessing but the graph clears it all up.

If there isn't one picture of the finished item, I probably won't make the pattern. I love having pictures of parts of the pattern as I work so I know I'm doing everything right.

I'm a visual crocheter, altho I am getting better at making stuff from just a pattern with no picture to guide me.

When I posted the pattern for my rectangle granny square afghan, I wanted to make sure people understood what I was trying to describe in the pattern. So, I posted a LOT of pictures to show how the pattern starts out. I posted "how to" pictures, and I also put up "end result" pictures.

I had the pictures done before I even asked anyone to help me write out the pattern so that people could understand it. I used my scanner to make most of the pictures, because I wanted clear close ups of what I was doing. The only picture I used my camera for was to show what the entire first 3 or 4 rounds looked like. (scanner was too small to show the foundation rows in a full view)

I've had a lot of people email me and tell me that the pictures I posted on my blog were what made it possible for them to understand the pattern.

I get frustrated when I see patterns posted online without pictures! I immediately move on and look at others that have pics. I'm not going to spend the time and yarn on making something I'm not sure what it looks like.

I really need at least a picture of front and back if it's a wearable. Otherwise just a front is fine, unless the back of the item is different. A couple years ago I started making the hooded sweater in the Interweave Crochet and didn't realize until I had the back done that it was a pullover. The picture only showed the back of the sweater. I didn't want a pullover and had to re-do the pattern so it would be a cardigan. It just helps prevent confusion for me.

Angie

I'm a very visual learner so bring on the pics.. the more the better! I absolutely hate it when I click on a link to a pattern and there is no picture at all.

I want to see both the front and the back, and I also love a schematic when they tell you how long/wide each portion is (on wearables).

Joan

I voted lots of pics. Even though I've crocheted a long time, I still have trouble with some patterns. I can imagine it's very difficult for a beginner. Text with good pics just go hand in hand to instruct on how to create something. There might be a few things that only need one pic but I would say 3-5 pics is much nicer.

I like a lot of pictures...probably to the point of being a little ridiculous. I'm partial to patterns that assume that you know less than you probably do...better too much help than not enough, and lots of pictures is a part of that.

I voted lots of pictures, but what really matters to me are two pictures:

The full shape/size/layout of the finished item and a detail picture. I hate trying to decide if I like a pattern based off a thumbnail of just a section... show me what the finished product looks like!

I look at it this way...It doesn't hurt to have extra pictures handy to verify instructions but it can be the difference of "getting froggy" a few times when you don't have them!

I bought a pattern that I can't figure out and am unable to make. I will not buy form her again because of this. Now Shifio in the Ads we all see is expensive but if you look at their patterns, there are a lot of pictures. It really does make a difference when someone is buying a pattern.

Archived