Patterns- Lots of pictures or Just give me the pattern already!

EmEyeAaay

Patterns- image heavy, or none for me please?  

515 members have voted

1. 1. Patterns- image heavy, or none for me please?

• Do you like you patterns to have many images?
    • Do you prefer 1 image only- the one that shows what it'll look like when you're done?
    • Does it not matter at all whether there's pictures or not?

Question

Hi everyone,

I've been writing my patterns and including lots of images, for me when I was learning it was easier when there was a photo to refer to. But then I was wondering, is it better to just have the instructions without images, so that it takes up less space, and they're unnecessary, or do you include images so that it gives examples, acts as a visual place marker, adds to the pattern aesthetic, etc...

What do you think? I need some advice because I'm rethinking how I design the layout of my patterns. Thanks so much!

• Answers 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Include pictures. There's so many patterns to choose from today, if I come across one without at least a picture of the finished item, I keep going. I do not want to guess how it will turn out.

If I like how a finished pattern looks, then I check the sizes, type of yarn required, etc.

For those who don't know, Crochet Pattern Central only put up patterns that have pictures. So, if you write patterns and don't have pic's, yours will never be listed there.

Real Deal

Thanks everyone for replying! I think I'm going to keep writing my patterns with a lot of images, I always find them helpful too. I also think sometimes it depends on they type of thing you're making, and since I primarily make amigurumi I think pictures help.

Keep the replies coming, I love reading everyone's perspectives!

I think it depends on the pattern itself. If it is a pretty simple pattern a couple of pictures will be fine but if it is a rather difficult and tricky pattern it is good to show how you need to "turn" or where to put your stitches etc.

I like to have at least one picture. I'm not opposed to more pictures...some of the patterns I've acquired that had some step by step pics were really useful.

When I'm searching for patterns on the internet, it bothers me to come across a pattern that doesn't at least have one picture so you can see what the pattern will like when it's completed. Those patterns feel like mystery patterns to me. It doesn't keep me from acquiring them, if it's something I might need down the road. Especially if whatever it is is more or less rare.

I use pictures all the time. It really helps to understand exactly what the designer is talking about. Different designers use different terminology or wording and sometimes that can be difficult to understand...especially if you aren't used to it. If there is a picture it makes it easier to see what they are talking about.

Assuming you mean photos of the garment/project then yes, lots of photos please !

I often overlook a pattern if the photos are poor or too arty then see photos by someone who's made it and only then want to make it too. Decent photos help me make a decision on whether to make something or not :)

I find that photos make it a lot easier to follow the instructions, you know where you re working, and how it s supposed to look , and you don't have to spend a lot of time to try and figure out where that part of the pattern s refering to, and how it s shaping :) although when it comes to doilies, I don't really like a lot of photos, just two, one of the whole design and one with the detail :)

Alot of times I crochet from a pattern and it isn't working out, so I look at the picture, and often I will see something there that wasn't written out in the instructions. It is very frustrating but if I really want to make the item I will try to figure out what needs to be done to correct it by looking at pic.

I like the pictures as it makes it much easier to follow the patterns. I try to include photos of the patterns I create, especially if it is a bit different.

Picture is worth a 1,000 words, this is so true when trying to follow a pattern.

Archived