formal crochet education in school

I'm curious how many had a formal education in crochet and/or knitting as a craft taught in elementary, middle or high school either as part of an art class or an elective or old time home economics course. In elementary school, 7th and 8th grade, I was taught how to cook some basic items and use a sewing machine (we made purses and aprons). This was back in 1971 and 1972. We were also introduced to washers and dryers and how to use them. This was public school and it was not an elective...it was a required course. Anyone learn how to crochet or knit in the regular course of attending school?

Hmmm, good question. I'm trying to think back to home ec in high school. I know we did sewing and cooking, and I learned to cross-stitch. We also learned some interior design. But I don't think we did any crochet. But if we had, I wouldn't necessarily remember because I was already a very good crocheter by my freshman year. I made all sorts of things from Magic Crochet and Decorative Crochet magazines to give my friends as Christmas gifts.

I did learn how to crochet in school, but it was informally. My third-grade teacher taught all the girls in the class how to crochet during recess time. We'd sit on the school steps and crochet while the boys ran around the playground. I learned the basics from her, and then my mom and grandma kept me going and helped me learn to read pattern charts and figure out anything I had problems with.

I learned how to sew and cook in a required middle school home-ec class. My husband learned how to crochet in 2nd grade. A few years ago for Christmas my father-in-law wrapped up the "best crocheter" award that my husband earned (probably in the mid-1970s) and presented it to me. I had a good laugh over that! However, I should be very grateful that my husband learned how to crochet. After an afternoon of trying to learn how to crochet from a book, I gave up in frustration. My husband couldn't remember that afternoon, but that night he had a dream about it. In the morning he taught me how to make a chain. We decided it's like riding a bike--it had been over 25 years since he was a "hooker." I'm still trying to convince him to start crocheting again. I also wonder if kids still learn some of these important life skills (but with all the cuts in education, I suppose it's easy to get rid of things like this...bummer).

well i was taught how to sew, it was a required course***************** it was 2 classes, half cooking and half sewing, that was in like middle school ******************************************************** in high school we have to have a cooking class to graduate *********** as far as i know none of the art classes does crocheting or knitting ******** they're more drawling and clay based

I learned the same way most crocheters did at my mothers knee... being the oldest girl in a family of 3 brothers and 2 sisters it was a way I could get some special alone time with my Mom... I took Home Ec in school as it was required but by the time I took it I was doing most of the cooking at home, sewing my own clothes and most of everything we learned... this was back in the late 60's and I wanted to take wood shop but girls were not allowed to.

I think in some schools now they have classes after school. I remember when I did my student teaching there was a group that met after school to learn to knit scarves.

I had home-ec from 6th through 8th grade at my school. It was one semester and the other semester you had Industrial Arts (shop). Everyone, boys and girls were in these classes.

In home-ec you spent 1 marking period learning to cook and basic nutrition and the like, getting a little more involved each year. In the sewing marking period we only did machine sewing. I made a draw string tote bag (which I still have), a pillow animal which is gone and a badly executed shirt. The home-ec class usually bored me. Mom had been teaching me cooking and sewing since I was little...

I did have a cross stitch 'club' at one point in elementary school.

I took home-ec for three years in high school. Each year it was divided half and half sewing and cooking. Each year what we sewed or cooked got a bit more complicated. I think the first year we made an apron, the second a skirt, and the third we had to make a dress and line it. To this day I still can't sew worth a darn :lol The cooking seemed to stick though.

During the sewing part the first year, since an apron doesn't take long, we could choose to work on a special project we brought in. I brought in an afghan I had started making. It was not taught in the class but the teacher crocheted so she would help if I messed up and we talked a lot about crocheting.

I think it would be wonderful if knitting and crocheting, both were taught in school, either as part of a home-ec class, or part of an art class.

I have dig deep into my memory. lol i only took 1/2 a year of home ec ( oddly enough i was on the east coast at the time) and we just did cooking and basic crafts. We made magnets. I honestly learned more in my woodshop class later in the year. so I would have to say no i wasn't taught in school to crochet. but it would have been nice

8th grade in Home Ec, learned how to make a rib tickler (anyone remember those?) But I already knew how to crochet...but the lesson was really about reading patterns.

I learned sewing basics in Home Ec...and as extra credit I turned in crochet and knit projects, but I always felt I was teaching myself how to do these things.

The home ec classes I attended, looking back, they could have been alot better...a lot better...and not just over learning to do hand work like sewing. The only real cooking we were taught to do was how to make baking powdered biscuits and bake apples...although the one casserole I learned how to make was tuna/potato chip that I still make to this day. The lesson was really on how to make a casserole out of anything...pick your meat or protein, your veggie and your starch and then whatever canned creamed soup to hold the casserole together...

Didn't learn anything about washing or drying clothes (now that would be valuable...) Simple mending would be valuable...interior decorating? There was a lesson in 8th grade, but honestly, and this is coming from someone who likes to decorate and make things, I think that lesson is useless for an 8th grader...if you could still find a senior interested in Home Ec, then maybe that would be a viable unit to study because seniors will either be moving out on their own after high school or at least moving to a dorm for college...

I don't know how Home Ec is now in schools or if it's even offered anymore. Truthfully, I think it should be required for all students, and auto shop should be required for all students...these are basic things we all should learn how to do...at least up to the point that you know you'll hire some of this stuff out later on in life...Girls should learn how to at least check their oil and watch type of gas goes in their car and maybe how to change a spark plug...and guys should learn how to boil and egg and make toast and sew on a button and iron a shirt...

Just my opinion.

As a former home ec teacher I'm glad to hear that some of you were required to take the class. I think that it is one of the most important classes to take. The sad truth is that most schools no longer require and many schools in my area are eliminating the program. When I taught (about 8 years ago) I did cross stitch with the kids and offered to stay after school and teach crochet to anyone interested. I have had many requests from the teachers in this district to do a class after school for them, but it has never happened. I still lead a crochet project for the local 4-H club. Sadly, I haven't had much interest in the last few years. I'm hoping that will change.

I had sewing, but that was all we had in home ec back in the day. Today, Home Economics has gone by the wayside here in Texas. It's called something else, like family living. They also have boys enrolled, but there is only cooking, and baby care, finances, and things like that. My daughter brought home a baby that cries and she had to take it everywhere for 3 days. When she took it to school, she brought with her a baby blanket that she had crocheted in anticipation of this class. She was in 8th grade. Her teacher was so impressed that she make the blanket herself because she wouldn't be teaching anything like crochet in that class. It's a shame that the arts are not taught, but classes like them have been tossed aside for computer classes. Even woodworking classes here was stopped some years ago. My son made me the nicest clock and he had the last woodworking class offered here when he was in 8th grade. Oh, those were the days when people could take classes in something that they could make with their hands! :manyheart

No, we were not taught to crochet or knit in school. My mother and grandma did both though. Mom taught me to crochet even though I am left handed and she was right handed.

We did have Home Ec and the boys had Shop. Girls were not allowed to take Shop courses. We even begged, but the answer was no. Boys were not allowed in Home Ec either. I guess it was assumed they would all marry and have some woman to take care of them.

Our Home Ec was so boring. The same teacher every year. We learned to make creamed dried chipped beef on toast. Uh-huh. And we learned how to make a cake from a mix. Wow ~ we were going to get far in life with this knowledge.

We learned to sew a blouse. The teacher picked out the pattern and it was 15 years out of date. Ugh. Then we made a dress. That was better because we each decided on our own pattern. Mom knew how to sew, so that was a big help. I was quite proud of myself because I did the hem painstakingly by hand.

Other than that, we didn't learn much there. Oh, wait a minute. We learn how to set a formal dinner table and "deportment". We all cracked up. We were teenage girls in a small town. What were we going to do ~ serve creamed dried chipped beef on toast to the President while walking around with books on our heads (to keep our chins up)? It was just too funny.

Real Deal

When I was in grade 5, my school had a week where we'd spend an hour a day with a teacher learning something different then what was normally taught. One of the classes was a knitting/crochet class and I signed up for it. I learned some of the basics for both but my nana was a better teacher when it came to crochet.

In grades 7 and 8, I took home ec and shop classes. They taught us a few simple meals and how to sew a simple pattern but none of the fun stuff like knitting and crocheting.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I learned to crochet in third grade from my mom and brushed up on it and learned knitting in fifth grade from a girls group I went to once a week.

I had Home Ec in high school. It wasn't required. Like some others it was half a year of sewing and half a year of cooking.

I took Home Design one year.

I disagree about that home ec should be required. Unless it's changed from just sewing and cooking. I feel things that should be taught are home mangement, budgeting, cooking and eating healthy, how to use a bank account and credit cards, etc.

Real life stuff.

:)

The only type of needle work I did in school was embroidery. And I already knew how to do that.

My son goes to a school that has an emphasis on fine arts though. Each parent was sent home a letter at the beginning of the year. Some where in that letter it asked that if the parent had a special talent, if they would be willing to come in and show the classes. I thought about it. But I don't really have much patients with teaching kids. And I would have to bring my two year old with me. I don't know how well that would work either.

"I feel things that should be taught are home mangement, budgeting, cooking and eating healthy, how to use a bank account and credit cards, etc.

Real life stuff."

I agree with this...I think the whole notion of home ec has to evolve and change...maybe even broken down to basic home econonics as described in Empress' post and then Home Economics arts...add to that the sewing, knitting, crocheting, quilting, etc...interior design, even cake decorating, party planning...there might be some cross over...but one could be the basics...the other would be branching out and getting into advanced stuff...the first should be required, the second could be elective...just my opinion.

Heehee...sounds like my home ec classes were a lot like many of yours! I don't know if the school district I went to still offers the course, but I remember a lot of it vividly.

In sixth grade and seventh grades, we only took Home Ec for 6 weeks, to be rotated with Industrial Tech (shop), Art, Music, French, and Spanish. In 6th grade, we learned to sew felt book covers. We had no choice in the colors, which were red and black (the school colors), but we did have to provide our own materials. My mom wouldn't even let me touch her sewing machine until I took that class. We also learned to make basic things both years, like sticky buns and a simple sugar cookie.

In 8th grade, we took it for a whole grading period, which was 9 weeks (trust me, I wanted it to be longer, but we could take whole semesters in high school), and rotated between shop, Music, and Art (the 1st year of foreign languages began that year, and were a whole year long). That year, we made a duffel bag, which had to have a zipper, a button with a shank, a pocket, and straps. We also made cookies, a cake, and a dish (my group did scalloped potatoes) to share with the class for a meal.

In high school, it wasn't required, and when I asked my guidance counselor to please put it in my schedule, she kept refusing every semester, because I was planning to go to college and the courses were designed for kids who weren't :eek! I was appalled, but she refused to sign off on anything other than her plan for me (I was going into Music Ed in college, and she felt a foreign language, higher sciences, and mathematics as well as a few art classes would be more beneficial to me in getting into the school of choice...Isn't that sad?).

Now I wish I had pushed harder to take the courses, because now I'm a SAHM, not even using half the skills I learned in college (I didn't earn my degree yet), and the Spanish I took is doing me squat. I could have learned how to better take care of my house and stuff. I don't know if knitting or crocheting was a part of the curricula in any of the classes offered (and there were a lot of classes!), but it would have been nice if they were.

I learned to crochet when I was nine, taught by my mother. I've been teaching myself to knit for 3 years, each year trying to pick up a new skill or two on my own since I have no one else to teach me.

ETA: My kids will be learning all of this stuff in school as we homeschool them...From about 4th grade on or so, dh will be teaching them about finances, and earlier than that, I'll be working on real life stuff like home management, cooking, cleaning, sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting, etc. They won't have a choice ;-)

I took a required home-ec course in the 70's, freshman yr of HS. I hated it. Mainly because it was sewing & cooking, which I didn't like. I wish they HAD introduced other things like crochet & knitting, maybe I would have been more interested in that class.

Despite hating the class, I do think it should be required lol. But like mentioned, I think it really needs updating. Like how to eat healthy fast food, how to cook healthy meals on a budget, making a healthy hamburger or pizza lol...

Sewing basics such as sewing on a button in less than 5 minutes when you're late to a job interview. :lol Darning holes in socks so you don't have to buy more for another month...haha, or turning a sweatshirt into a cool fashion statement :D

And yes, a few weeks spent on yarn arts to give you a taste of it.

Then 2nd semester, teach those home management subjects like bill paying, balancing your checkbook, how to get the best interest on your bank accounts, how to survive college on very little money, & other life lessons that will actually be used by most of the students in everyday life after high school is over.

I had to take HomeEc in Junior High, both 7th and 8th grade. While the class was mostly sewing and cooking I distictly remember crocheting a Christmas stocking during one of those classes. I know I wasn't taught by my HomeEc teacher, we must have had a section on needle arts and were able to make anything we wanted.

i did sewing and cooking in 7th and 8th grade and then more cooking in 9th grade. My teacher made us crack eggs with a knife - I am never going to do that again!

In 7th and 8th grade at my school, EVERYONE (boys and girls) were required to take a semester each of Home Ec and Shop/VoAg each year. I will never forget the fancy mac and cheese we made that called for 1/8 teaspoon of ground oregano - one group of boys misread the recipe and put in a full teaspoon. It still tasted ok, if you could get past the fact that it had turned a nasty greenish-black color. I still remember our Home Ec teacher: "What on earth did you do?!" LOL Then for our freshman and sophomore years, everyone had to take a full year of one or the other. I don't remember any boys ever taking Home Ec, but a few girls took Shop/VoAg.

We didn't learn any needlework/fiber arts in Home Ec. The class really frustrated me because my mom had already taught me to cook and sew, and my Home Ec teacher did it so differently - I was always in trouble for not following a recipe to the letter, or getting ahead of the rest of the class on my sewing projects (I never was the best seamstress, but I was better than the others!). We had to carry flour-sack babies for a week or so, and did a little interior design, and planned weddings - I remember being the only one who planned a somewhat frugal wedding, and oddly enough I was the only one of the girls in my class who had a frugal wedding. :D

Archived