Should I drive 45 miles to go to Jo Ann's?

boo1

All we have where I live is Hobby Lobby and Michael's. I've been in to both of them so many times lately that I'm ready to go somewhere different.

Is it worth it to drive an hour to go to another store?

Laura

hey, if you can afford it, go! i live 2 hours from any stores lol. one thing, check yellow pages or something before you go to make sure there isn't anything else you should be checking out while you're there!!! gotta make it count :)

And make sure you know where the nearest bathroom is!!! Maybe there is a local yarn shop to hit up at the same time to make it worth the trek. Although I have to say that if the only craft you do is crochet, michaels and hobby lobby usually have more than joanns.

I just realized it's 70 miles, instead of 45 (one way). Hmm.....Can't talk my husband into going with me..What to do...take a nap or go? Grr. Why don't we have a JoAnn's here?

I Check Joann Online And If Im Not In A Big Hurry - I Order From The Website, Usually Have My Purchase Withing 7-10 Days . They Offer 40% Off Coupons And Specials Also Just For Signing Up For Email Club. Worth The Look

Mary

Only if its a JoAnn's ETC.. those are like JoAnn Superstores, and they are generally bigger and have more stuff. Also, their website is a good place too, especially if they have the free shipping deals....

Our JoAnn's has a puny selection of JoAnn-branded yarn, doesn't have nearly as much as Michaels, and doesn't even come close to the selection at Hobby Lobby. Unless there is a sale, I'm not sure it would be worth the trip. But, that's just my opinion. :)

All we have where I live is Hobby Lobby and Michael's. I've been in to both of them so many times lately that I'm ready to go somewhere different.

Is it worth it to drive an hour to go to another store?

Laura

I'm talking myself into a similar drive to a Hobby Lobby. I find that there are yarns (Sensations/Joann's store brand) and colors at JoAnns that I don't find elsewhere, and similar stories for Michaels and Hobby Lobby...

I'm talking myself into the drive to Hobby Lobby to get more Cat Eyes for Amigurumi... maybe we need to set up a "Shopper exchange" where if you know what you want from JoAnns, and I know what I want from Hobby Lobby: I'll go to JoAnns for you and you'll go to H.L. for me. I KNOW I need cat eyes, but maybe I will browse the yarn and see something I want too.... :lol

With the price of gas up so high, I would definately think about your choice. Is it a huge store, or an old, small store that will soon be phased out? Are the sales worth it? Can you get the same stuff through the website? Can you make a day of it? Bring a friend and find a nice place to do lunch? Can you afford the time? It's at least an hour or so away, and add in shopping time, driving time, etc.

Just some questions to think about. Since they moved my JoAnn's and Michael's out of my town (small stores) and moved them to a larger place but farther away, I seldom go there. I just stick to Hobby Lobby and Wallyworld.

But I do check the fliers every week, just in cae something absolutely needs to come home with me.

Good luck making up your mind.

:manyheart

You lucky duck!!! There is no Hobby Lobby or Michaels here!! I have to drive 60 miles north or east if I want to shop at one or the other!!! We have WalMart and a LYS here, but if I want particular brands, I either have to order online or make the drive.

I'd check to be sure they have what you're looking for, and if yes, I'd jump in the car and head over that way! If there is a LYS close by, then that's all the better.....

Based on my experience at Joann's on Saturday, I say "No." Their yarn stock was depressingly low. Come to think of it, it's been that way for the past few visits!

Order online and not necessarily from Joann's. Gasoline is just too expensive to drive over 70 miles only to be disappointed.

The only problem with ordering online is that you can't "pet" all of the lovely yarn before you buy...

True. You probably should be familiar with the yarn ahead of time if you're ordering online. I wanted Paton's Canadiana from Lisa's online site but had never pet it. Lisa was kind enough to send me substantial samples so I could make an educated choice!

Our Jo-Ann's is a real disappointment, hardly any yarn, ours seems to concentrate on holiday decorations and so on. I don't think it would be worth it, based on what I know, to go that distance unless you are sure the store would be pretty big and has what you want. But then, I am rarely happy with Jo-ann's, period.

I am so jealous. I am visiting my hubby in Michigan, so there are lots of Michaels and Joannes Etc, but there isn't a Hobby Lobby anywhere near. I have never been to one, and hoped to go...oh well, I guess you can't have it all. I did find a ton of yarn at Meijers here tho. Have you checked yours?

I have a Ben Franklin, Jo-Anns and a Michaels nearby. I also live near a few small yarn shops. I get e-mail coupons from Jo-Anns and tend to go there most often for my yarns. They sell Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool which is hard to find elsewhere and I like to check these skeins out in person. I also like their selection of baby yarns and since I sew I can get fabrics too. Michaels has 40 percent off coupons in the Sunday paper but I don't like the strong smell of potpurri near the yarn section. They do have a large selection of colors in Homespun and other "popular" Lion Brand yarns but I chose Jo-Anns even tho they are the farthest away from me. Ben Franklin has a great selection but the prices are a bit high for me and I have yet to find coupons. I'd take a day trip if you can afford the gas and check it out on a day when they have just stocked up on what you want. Then you'll know if it's worth it to make it a regular jaunt.

I have to drive 25 miles to a "dumpy" Joann's...and 65 miles to a Super Joann's. I would rather do the longer drive because I know I will find what I am looking for. And the people are so much nicer at the farther one!!!

Definitely check for other yarn/hobby shops along the way - because I think if the store you drive all that way for is anything like the one here in my town - you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if its one of the new BIG JoAnns stores - I say Go Girl! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'd combine the trip with something else I wanted to do. Gas is so expensive now that when I go to the VA hospital in Louisville I stop at the stores I like up there.

I'm in the same sort of boat, seeing as all the main craft stores (JoAnn's, Michaels, and AC Moore) are a major trip for me. I'm actually finding it more economical to just order online from Joann.com, seeing as the shipping ends up being about what the gas $$$ would be. Otherwise, I've started going to my LYS for the rest. I find one can substitute Plymouth Encore for just about any worsted weight yarn, and it's a nicer yarn that's affordable. Not to mention all the other great yarn a LYS has...

Archived