what's your favorite stitch?

I'm looking through the Happy Hooker book which I recently recieved and just love! It's like, crochet 101, and I think every newbie should have it! Well, I'm looking at the directions for all of those different stitches and it got me wondering what everyone's favorite stitch is, and why?

My favorite is the afghan stitch! :manyheart Perhaps because after the chain and granny square it's really the first stitch that I learned, and it's how I made my first afghan. Personally I think it works up quickly, and it's super easy. I'm using it right now to make my graph-ghan.

A close second would be the double crochet, also because it works up quickly.

I'm new yet to many things crochet even though I've enjoyed the craft for ten years now, but I'm going to get brave and practice the shell, puff, popcorn, etc, stitches now that I have this book!

What do you enjoy! :hook

anything useing multiple hdc or dc, as I've started free forming I find I fall back to those two the most, esp shells

Favorite single stitch? HDC

Favorite pattern stitch?? Sweet Pea... (Multiple of 7) its1 dc, skip 3, 5 dc, skip 3, 1dc in next 2, skip 3 rep to last chain, 3 dc. Then on your following rows the 5dc go in the space between the 2 dc's and the 2 dc's go in the spaces between the 2nd and 3rd dc and 3rd and 4th dc of the shell below.

Cripe, that seems wordy, but it's super easy and FAST!

I love the textured stitches - single stitches like fpdc. Here's a sample:

624630924_397c99fbf7_m.jpg

I'm currently working a baby blanket using the sedge stitch (sc, dc, dc in same stitch, sk 2, repeat). It makes a nice textured fabric as well:

624630996_530bff786c_m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It varies, but something that feels fast while I'm working it. V-stitch is one I always come back to. I've become much more fond of sc since I started making smaller things, though. And amigurumi. And it feels fast enough in that context. I don't think I could make a whole afghan that way without going mad, though.

Right now, the V-stitch. It's quick, pretty, creates a nice texture and a lightweight fabric and can be used in afghans, purses and garments.

But, like Debbie said, I've never met a CROCHET stitch I didn't like.

Knitting, on the other hand....

My favorite is this:

Slanted V's

ch 34

Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & sc across (33 s.c.)

Row 2: ch 1, (sc, ch1, dc) in 1st st to form V, (skip next 2 sts, sv in next st) across to last 3 sts, skip next 2 sts, hdc in last st. ch 1 and turn

Row 3 - 21: sv in each ch 1 space across, hdc in turning ch 1 of previous row. ch1 & turn

Favorite single stitches are DC and HDC. Favorite patterns--I just did a round ripple, which was fun. I like the sc, ch 1, sc, then in the next row sc in the ch1 space. It makes a nice texture for blankets and dishcloths. Shells are always fun too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with you...the afghan stitch. It's great because there are not holes in the afghans I make for the air to get through. and you can cross stitch on it. I also love using the afghan stitch with a double ended hook to make reversable afghans and scarves. It comes out looking very different than the afghan stitch because you turn your work every time one round is completed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived