Pattern or color(s) first?

Ok, so I was wondering...when you are getting ready to start a new project...do you pick out the pattern first or do you choose your yarn color(s) first? Just curious.

I usually pick whichever pattern I want to work on and then choose the yarn color(s).

It depends. Some days I find the yarn and figure out what to make with it, other days I know what I want and find the yarn.

Take for example some of my current projects:

tank top for me: I knew I wanted a tanktop and I knew I wanted cotton. I then found the yarn, but needed to find/modify a pattern.

RR for my cousin's baby: I knew I wanted to make them a RR, and just yesterday found the most beautiful and bright yarns to make for a rainbow one.

Shawl for mom: knew what I wanted to make, found a pattern and then chose yarn/color.

So, I come to projects from every different angle...

I usually choose the pattern first and go buy the yarn. But sometimes I find really pretty yarn and just buy one or two skeins and make something little with it.

patterns I think, I have never been one to buy yarn just because and try to find a pattern for it...... but I have bought yarn for a project that never got started and went on to use it for something else.....

So many patterns..... so little time.

Usually, I pick out the pattern first. If there's a really nice yarn on sale I just have to buy, I'll occasionally choose the color before the pattern.

Depends for me too. Once in a while my eye lands on a yarn and I think of a perfect pattern I may have seen, or something I'd like to have from it...I guess probably more often I find a pattern then decide on the perfect yarn for it. :hook

95% of the time I find the pattern first, and then choose the color and yarn. When I occasionally buy yarn on an impulse without a pattern in mind, I never know how much to buy, so I end up just making scarves out of it.

Sometimes I"ll have an idea and go get the yarn, then look for a pattern. Right now, I have all this Homespun in colors to match my bedroom but I haven't figured out what pattern to do. It just depends on what I am doing with the end result. For my auction items, I went and picked up a bunch of Caron pounders on sale and was relieved to have enough yarn to finish them.

Joyce

It depends: sometimes I want to use a specific pattern - then I look for yarn. But, sometimes I have yarn I want to use - then I look for a pattern.

So many patterns, so much yarn -- not enough time...

I love looking through pattern books and sites so usually I find a pattern then look for fiber to make it. When I go to SALES at yarn stores, THEN I will pick up a yarn/thread that I just can't pass up and put it in my Large Lot stash container until I find a pattern.

The yarn finds me! I swear it does :P I have HUGE containers full of the stuff, mostly found at thirft stores, yard sales & hand me downs from my MIL :hook

I learned to crochet without using patterns (is that bad?! )

A little of both, usually I find a pattern first and then see what yarn I have on hand that I could make it with. Other times, I see great yarn or a sale and I know I have a pattern it would work with or that I can gift it.

Usually I find a pattern for something I like and then I figure out what yarn I have (or need to buy) to make it. Sometimes, and especially if I find a great deal, I find the yarn first and then pick a pattern. Like I saw the Garden Scarf in SNB:HH and went digging through my yarn, or last week I found Moda Dea Cache at Michaels for $2 and I bought 4, thinking I would just figure something out after the fact. Still working on that... :hook

I usually pick the pattern then find the yarn to with it. But I did pick a pattern to go with some colors I knew the person would like, then I was having trouble figuring out how to do some of the stitches ( I am still a beginner and I am currently working on my fifth blanket). So I decided to pick a different pattern that used some of the yarn. I still have two bags of yarn left though. Oh well, another project is just around the corner.

I'm in the stash busting CAL, so it's yarn first now, but it's pattern then yarn most of the time.

Xerxesa2, working without a pattern is not bad, but if you come up with something new, write it down. You might want to do it again someday.

Ellie 13

Archived