What if they banned crochet ?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh let's not panic.

We can just give crocheting a different name ( what was the Scottish term that came up on another thread, or maybe in a different language... how do you say crochet in Polish) and just keep on creating wonderful stuff and getting our stress busting fix.

People ignorant enough to suggest banning crochet probably can't tell it from knitting or tatting or maybe even sewing.

I am not comfortable with suggestions about beating her up. I guess as a child of the 60's I would look for retaliation in a less violent mode. Can we flood her maibox with granny squares? Can we bury her under shawls and afghans?

It is nice to see so many people so passionate about their craft/art.

I'm sorry, Sofia. Please forgive me. I was only teasing. After all, this isn't reality! Except, of course, for the silly thing that person said!

:manyheart:hug

Oh let's not panic.

We can just give crocheting a different name (what was the Scottish term that came up on another thread, or maybe in a different language... how do you say crochet in Polish).

OK, here's the "word" in Polish, if anyone can pronounce it, please let us know...

Crochet in Polish

used as a noun - robota szydełkowa

used as a verb - szydełkować, dziergać

if this is wrong, please be kind, I just looked it up on the internet, I am Polish but do not speak the language.

My immediate thought was I would hide & do it you know break the law like speeding ;):lol Then my second thought was have a super clean house & probably be in much better shape :eek wow that's an odd thought I crochet too much & don't do things I should do be doing :blush

I could never give up crochet---that is why I'm a law abiding citizen because they won't let you have a hook in jail. I don't go anywhere I can't lug along a hook and yarn. :hook

My old supervisor banned crochet:no :eek , I did it on the DL I felt like a criminal! :devil I know have a new Supervisor that doesn't are! I love her!:hug:yay

I guess if they banned crochet, I would become a lawbreaker!!! I will not quit crocheting for anyone!! No way, no how!!!!!!

That would be me, too! I need it as a sanity keeper. If I don't get a chance to crochet, I can get crabby. It really helps eliminate stress in my life of working, a house, two teenagers and a husband!

I would be a secret crocheter, behind closed doors, instead of outside, like I love to do in the summer.

:manyheart

All I know is when they started banning scissors on airplanes I just knew that if I couldn't crochet, I wouldn't be flying!! So, I haven't flown for years. I would rather ride in the car and crochet away!!! :lol

I don't think you can have nail clippers on the plane either. I know when I can't find scissors I reach for the nail or toe clippers and that helps too. Also if you were a knitter I don't think those knitting needles would be allowed because of how pointy they are. I don't know maybe a plastic knife from the stewardess would work.....:2eek:think , or I guess reading a book wouldn't be to bad.

hahahaha...if anyone was dumb enough to make it law...well...just because it's law doesn't mean it's a good law.

But first I'd have to know who THEY were...hahaha...

Martha

• 2 weeks later...

It would be like someone cut off my arm...it is a part of me...and while yes I could do other crafts, I know I'd be breaking the ban one way or another...

YIKES! would definitely go underground - sounds like there would be ALOT of company down there!

I'd go for the 'banning crochet is unconstitutional' angle and try to get the ban repealed. I think the tenth section of the Bill Of Rights protects crochet (among other things), but I'm not sure off the top of my head. My sister is the expert on the constitution in this house. I think I'll ask her.

I would go for the 'banning crochet is unconstitutional' angle and try to get the ban repealed. I think the tenth amendment would protect crochet (among other things), but I'm not sure off the top of my head. I'll have to ask my sister. She's the constitution expert in this house.

Archived