Help!!! lol need ideas for stash busting!!!

Ok, my mom really supports my yarn / crochet addiction quite well. She always shops at second hand stores, and gets me bagfuls of yarn. Now, after going through a crochet slump, ***! is it ever adding up! So, now i need to do some serious stash busting!!!

What do you do, when this happens? What would you suggest? I dont' know if something quick is good, or something that will take awhile, but take up lots of yarn is better. Also, it's mostly acrylic, a few skeins of fuzzy stuff with mohair, not much. there is also a few skeins of wool, in an off white color. I have made lots of hats recently, so I am kind of hatted out!

scarves.......scrap ghans? maybe an idea. I need to really reduce my stash!

MY grandmother calls them crazy blanket U use all the scraps so it is more like a scrap gan

or maybe a scarf or a prayer shawl which will be nice and warm

ponchos are quick too

with the wool maybe a felted purse

hey and let us know the out come

well or u could send some my way lol

giggle giggle

You could make things for charity. There are so many great people who are always asking for squares (usually 6", 8", or 12", but each one is different) in lots of colors. I know that I've recently posted that if you send squares/completed afghans to Project Linus, then I'll send you stitch markers as a thank you. I've joined with Meilssa, who started the thread, but it's going to be neat. I'm only doing that for one month though, but there are always charities there, and comfortghans that people are making.

Another idea is to get a Q hook, and about 3 strands of yarn at the same time, and follow a pattern like a round ripple, or round granny, or something easy to just do, and make it. I also designed a pattern for scarves that use 2 strands of acrylic yarn held together to make a nice, thick scarf, in about 1 hour.

Hope these ideas (mine and others) help! It's always a lot of fun to stash bust....

Victoria

Lace and Bobbles Afghan. There was a CAL for it at one time, if you find it, it will have in it where to find the pattern.

theres a CAL going on right now that is to use up scraps and is doing "f-ugly" afghans. Using 3 strands of yarn, and a large hook, start crocheting in a strip. When 1 color ends, just add in another ball and go until another strand ends, add in another...etc. The bands may end in the middle of the 'ghan and from picts folks have posted they are quite nice (and I'd think VERY warm w/ the 3 strands together, as well as thinking would work up quickly). And, wouldn't be as time consuming as doing small squares that you'd have to attach to each other.

Sandy

I made a 2-strand ripple afghan for my SIL for her Christmas present this past year, and I can tell you that 2 or more strands with a large hook definitely DO work up quickly!!!:yes:yes I made it big enough to fit a twin sized bed and I probably could have gotten the whole thing done in less than 2 weeks if I'd worked on that one thing alone.

hi there

knicknac(sp) made an awsome stash busting round ripple. its over on the home decor thread, you should check it out if you have not already.

Another idea is to get a Q hook, and about 3 strands of yarn at the same time, and follow a pattern like a round ripple, or round granny, or something easy to just do, and make it.

Here is a link to the one that I made as kkms (thank you, your so sweet!) said:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45674

And like Vickie said, I used a round ripple pattern:

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/angelcrafts/patterns/roundripple.html

I used three strands and an "L" hook. It worked up SUPER fast...in like just three days of off and on hooking!

Hope that helps!

I would it to make afghans for your local project linus or caps for preemies. A lot of charities need afghans and hats and stashbusting is a great way to get those done and give to someone who really needs it.

Wow! Great ideas everyone! I made the black magic shoulder shrug, from caron.

http://www.caron.com/projects/bm/bm_shoulder_shrug.html

I used bernat boucle, I believe. I'm not sure what color, but it is a blue and beige color. pretty nice! I'm wearing it now. So, that's a start.

Next I want to make a shawl. Either the butterfly shawl pattern that was posted here, or use the pattern for the winged hair kerchief to make a shawl. I"ve got a nice olive green that would make a great shawl.

i do like the idea of a scrap ghan, as well as using 2 strands of yarn together. There is one afghan pattern i've used before. I can't remember what it's called. I have no picture of the one i did. It's like a granny square, except on the corners, it has a zig zag. it's nice, and different. maybe one of those is in order! :-)

You could also make some extra scarves for the upcoming 2008 Red Scarf Project. There's a link in the 2007 Red Scarf Project thread in the charity forum. These are sent in only during the month of January, and are part of Valentine's packages sent to college students who don't have families. It's organized by the Orphan Foundation of America. I busted about 10 skeins of yarn making scarves this past December, and will do it again this winter, too. Patty

If you don't even want to do a double strand scrap afghan you can do one. I do those a lot. Just choose an afghan pattern you like and crochet away. When you get to an end of one skien of yarn, choose another, the colors don't even have to go together. It's just something fun to do and I like using for extra warmth at night. I do love the multi strand ones I see in the StatshBusting CAL I've looked at or in the show and tell section. Those turn out sooo nice!

Mine looked like a rug, which it was... lol... so that's another idea, you can make a rug. I did an oval from some magazine (I think it's on the freepatterns now).

Debbi

I was working on the Stripey CAL (until I ran out of the yarn I was using...). I made mine only about half as long for a baby blanket for Project Linus and I went through a lot of yarn pretty quick. You'd probably go through it even quicker with holding 2 strands and using a larger hook. Just using random colors with that would make it look kinda like those braided rugs everyone's got lying around somewhere. It also works up really quick once you get going. And if you want, you don't even have to weave in the ends, just turn it into fringe!

the charity blitz this month is making hats scarfs and gloves mittens you could use up a lot of scraps that way you can make a 2,3 strands ghan or make a fur baby bed that work up quickly and use loads of stash and the best part of that is it doesn't matter what you put in it scraps are scraps

I am a crochet roll! :-) alright, I've started a shawl, using the winged hair kerchief pattern! I was worried, becuase just reading through the pattern, and comments........but i've got a good start on it. I think the bullion stitch freaked me out, but that's not until the edging, so i think i'll be fine. I think my next project after this, will be either a round ripple, or maybe the skipping stones afghan......or the other one i mentioned, the granny square afghan, that has zig zags at the corners.....

woo hoo! I love crocheting!

It is my son's birthday party tomorrow, and i've got shopping to do tonight with my mom!!!!! so i won't be able to crochet as much. also, DH wants to take us to see Ghost Rider tonight! hmm....can i crochet in the movies?!?!? lol. when i get going on a project i don't want to stop!

Ok, I've finished the shawl, i've just got to weave in the ends. It turns it it's only a triangle granny shawl, i didn't have enough yarn to do the edging part. oh well, maybe next time. I'm also making a mesh shopping bag, out of this cool verigated yarn (spelling?!?) it' light brown, dark brown, white yellow and a olive green. i'm sort of making up the pattern as i go. and then i want to make another shawl, the butterfly wing shawl. hmm, does anyone know if 8 50g skeins of worsted weight yarn would be enough for one of those?

***. I should be crocheting today! lol I dont' usually drink coffee. I used to have 1 a day, but now it's one every couple of weeks! lol. A co-worker bought me a large coffee, from tim horton's. whew. caffeine!!!!! I can't sit still! lol

Preemie hats, baby hats and children's hats are ways that I bust some stash. And to give them away makes you feel good.

Find a charity in your area and make things for them. You can find charities on the internet, in your local community, and other places. Contact churches. They usually know where to send things.

Also, nursing homes like lap robes. Hospitals like hats, blankets, puppets and many other things for their patients of all ages.

I hope we have all inspired you to do some serious stash busting. Good luck in whatever you choose to make.

:manyheart

Have you joined the Stash Busting CAL? Everyone in it has great ideas and they will help keep you motivated. All the ideas here are great, I make blankets for Projcet Linus. Check the web site: projectlinus.org to find a group near you. Good luck.

Ellie 13

I saw that post! lol, i may join it. :-) i will definetely look up project linus. :-) or maybe some of the womens' shelters, or other places. hmm. oh yeah, lol about the stashbusting, with the way my mom gives me yarn! I'm not sure that i'll ever be on the plus side! :hook definetely worth a shot!

Archived