Margarite Bedspread

habetlerm

Justvicki - with all the cheerleading I'm getting I know I can get it done.

charissecrochets - I love the wedding cake analogy. That one is going to stick with me as I do this.

Her - Homekeeping Gran said the same thing to me. So I figure right now I'm 1/5 of the way done. Not bad really.

Thank you all!!!!! :fame

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is so beautiful you have to keep going and finish this what a great heirloom this will make Great Job:manyheart

I agree, You need to finish it. It is just gorgeous.......I can't wait to see it when its finished

Ok - I've got a question for you all. I'm getting board a little but saw a beautiful doily done with white and a sewing thread. Can't remember which one it was beautiful.

What if I put a heavier thread (since it is a bedspread) with the white once in while?

My daughter is a forest green nut and I think maybe I'll try a motif.

Tell me what you think!

Ok - I've got a question for you all. I'm getting bored a little but saw a beautiful doily done with white and a sewing thread. Can't remember which one it was beautiful.

What if I put a heavier thread (since it is a bedspread) with the white once in while?

My daughter is a forest green nut and I think maybe I'll try a motif.

Tell me what you think!

I am not very experienced with thread so can't answer the question about using a heavier thread but personally I like the solid white without any color - it is just so elegant - I'm sure the green would look lovely too but I just think the solid white would be so stunning!

It is so beautiful - I can't even imagine taking on such a design. :nworthy

Mimi, your motifs are magnificant, and your bedspread will be very lovely. I agree with disneypal that white is very elegant, although I really do personally love lots of color. It could look very interesting to have a row of motifs with part of the outer-middle section in another color. You could keep it in the same size thread so there'd be no difference in size. Like you said about making a trial one, go for it and then if you decide not to use them you can either frog back to the color and replace it with all white, or else keep the color and use them for coasters or even sew two together to make some type of a little purse or keepsake pocket for your daughter. Or.... keep the color ones to make a throw pillow to match her bedspread and give the pillow to her on her first wedding anniversary. Endless possibilities here! The pro about using color is that you could add a little bit of her favorite color/room color, the pro about using all white is that it will match everything even if your daughter's favorite color or bedroom colors change. The pro about either is no matter what you choose, your daughter is going to love this gift and it will definitely be a family heirloom. Your daughter is very blessed to have you for her mom. :manyheart Keep going! :hug

I understand the boredom, but personally, I don't think I would mess with the purity of the design by adding in other colors or motifs. I know you've done a few other things while working on the bedspread, Mimi, so maybe you can chase boredom off by periodically doing another small project, especially a different color or yarn. Or maybe since the bedspread is a motif, you could let it be what you always take around with you, assuming you do that, and sometimes work on something else.

I'm really not one to be talking here. I get bored, too, if a project is too big.

• 4 weeks later...

The bedspread will be lovely. Here's another vote for keeping it all white, though. I like one person's suggestion to make a pillow with a color. You could always update with another pillow if color preferences change later.

I can sympathize with your boredom. I'm making his-and-hers afghans--same pattern but different color schemes--for my nephew and his bride-to-be. The wedding is in July, and I console myself that no one needs afghans in Georgia in July, so I can be a bit late if I have to.

I took a break from the afghans and worked a fancy doily that I'll give at the bridal shower (in June). I've gone back to the afghans, and I'm making myself work on them even though I have a stack of doily books, a pile of crochet thread, and I want to work on doilies--and nothing else--right now! I tell myself that forcing myself to work on the afghans makes it more likely I'll have them done by the wedding. And once they're done and out of my hair...look out! I'll be making doilies like a madwoman.

Meanwhile, it's time for more boring waffle stitch. It takes 15 minutes for each row, and each afghan is 172 rows. Plus borders. His afghan stands at row 44; hers is at row 36. So just 264 more rows (total), or 66 hours. Plus borders. Ouch! Maybe I need to stop counting...

Good luck, and keep up the lovely work!

Thanks everyone - I'm on a role again. One per week at least.

I'm going to keep the pillow idea in mind and stay white!

I know you can do it. I know that it is probably getting boring working on the same thing all the time, but just think about how they are going to react when they see the finished project. It will be something that they will cherish forever. Keep it up, I know you can do it. I have faith in you.

• 3 weeks later...

Just keep at it. It took me somewhere around 10 years to finish the spread. I started it back in 1981 when it was first in Family Circle. Various things happened and it got put away when we moved around some. But I got inspired again and finished it. At first I made the single spread for my daughter's day bed but as she got older I made more motifs and added on to it. I think I ended up with a double.

I got so I could turn those motifs out without looking back at the pattern and eventually I had enough finished. You and your daughter will be very pleased with it. It is beautiful. I have just recently been thinking about making another one.

Laura

:cheer :cheer :cheer This is one cheering section I want to join! :cheer :cheer :cheer

This will be the most incredible bedspread when done.

You gave me a scare when you talked about adding in colour. It should stay "pure" as some have said. With colour it would be trendy; in all white it is timeless

I'll subscribe and check in once in a while to keep the cheering on the move :cheer

Thank you all for keeping me going. I'm almost done with 18. It seems it takes about one week for each motif. I don't even need the pattern anymore.

Of course it's summer and I'm taking longer on everything!

Archived