Vintage Crochet Cardigan CAL

flyinghooks

Clocke, your sweater is turning out great! Your square design is neat and I love the color.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clocke, Awesome square! Your sweater is going to be beautiful. I have all my squares done, and in the process of tucking in ends. I haven't had time to work much on my sweater. I have been searching for a job. You would think a CNA could get a job pretty quick, but for some reason no one is hiring. Only part time. Well I will have plenty of time this weekend to work on it. I am hoping to post pictures of my progress also.

I was going to post a picture of my squares, but camera's battery is low. I will try to post a picture later in the day.

P.S. 52 squares - 15 to go! Hopefully I can finish up tonight. :hook

Clocke, I love that square! Your sweater is turning out really beautiful.

I feel like I'm making way too many squares...I guess if I have too many, I can do two sweaters! :hook

Everyone's done such great work!

I've done 50 squares so far - I don't think I'll have enough to make the last 17 so I'll need to find some matching wool and then I'll make the edging in a brown or maybe black. The main colour of my cardigan is dark green.

I'm really enjoying this CAL! It's tedious at times but it was exciting to see my squares all lined up on the floor looking somewhat like a cardigan!

Mardar, welcome. Sounds like you're making great progress. I have a round 60 squares finished and I'm working on sewing those together. I want to make long sleeves and I am wondering if I can use slightly smaller squares for the bottom half of the sleeve, so they won't be so wide. I'll try that idea out after I get the cardigan sewn together.

I have my squares finished, and I'm working on sewing them together. So far I have 12 squares sewn together for the back. I've gotten better at whipstitching them, but it's still pretty slow going. If I'm lucky, I should have the cardi completed by next winter. LOL

Thanks y'all for the compliments! I appreciate them! :blush:hug

Pyogazel, I made up the pattern for the square using a basic afghan-type square and then doing either 1 rnd of sc plus 1 rnd of hdc (all blo) or 2 rnds of scs. I'll try and find the basic inner pattern part and post it if you'd like. I'd try and write it here from memory, but I think it would end up awry. :lol

I'm really glad so many of you seem to be putting this together with ease. At least I'll have plenty of help when I get there...hopefully that will be soon!

Thanks y'all for the compliments! I appreciate them! :blush:hug

Pyogazel, I made up the pattern for the square using a basic afghan-type square and then doing either 1 rnd of sc plus 1 rnd of hdc (all blo) or 2 rnds of scs. I'll try and find the basic inner pattern part and post it if you'd like. I'd try and write it here from memory, but I think it would end up awry. :lol

Thank, you, that's very kind of you, I'd like you to if you can (I mean if you're not to break any law doing so :lol )

I must admit I stopped working on mine, I'm not satisfied with the look and feel of my swatch, I really wanted to use this yarn but i'm not satisfied. I'm still looking for the "good" one :yarn

I can understand the search for the right yarn. The yarn I'm currently using isn't my favorite color at all, although I'm liking the texture. :) But I wasn't sure how the FO was going to turn out, and I didn't feel like buying something really nice (oooh nice wool blend in a forest green...mmmm!) and then getting frustrated and frogging frogging frogging. :lol

Of course, now that I'm enjoying this, I'll probably work another one, so it would have been more efficient to spring for the other yarn. Isn't that funny how things turn out?

Update - I know that I promised a picture a week ago. Unfortunately, I got a nasty case of flu cold since then. I didn't pick up any projects as I was sick and it's really too warm to work with wool.

I hope that it will be cooler tonight, so I can finish up the squares (11 to go). I would post a picture once I got 67 squares. I might work with thread or cotton after this project.

I'm starting to put my pieces together, to see how far along I am...I'm a little confused on the gusset. Is that just an extra square, folded or something? Any advice??

Thanks.

I'm starting to put my pieces together, to see how far along I am...I'm a little confused on the gusset. Is that just an extra square, folded or something? Any advice??

The gusset goes into the join of the underarm. It makes your sweater fit better and keeps it from looking so boxy. You attach it in a diamond shape where the sleeve seams and side seams meet.

Thanks.

Check out this earlier post in which I showed a diagram for the layout of the squares including the gusset. Together with Roli's explanation, this might help you visualize it.

Well....I was making great progress, started sewing things together, and realized my guage had changed alot since this is my first crochet project in decades. So, I tore apart a bunch of squares and reworked them. I have the back and one side completed and blocked but am still sewing the remaining side and sleeves.

Before I tore apart my blocks, I had put the fronts and back together but just did not like the "eased" look nor did I like the mismatched shoulders. I think the sweater back really needs to be an odd number of vertical rows. I am going to make a 7th vertical row. Next time I make this sweater, I will just recalculate the squares to work for an odd number of rows. Jeesh! By the time I get this one done, it will be two warm to wear it! <lol> but that will just give me something to look forward to! I don't need any more ice and snow!:yay

Has anyone finished yet? I have the squares done and have started sewing them together, but it just doesn't seem to be turning out looking very good. I'll keep working on it, but I'm not sure I'll ever wear it. It seems kind of stiff, which is probably due to the yarn I used. I may try again some day with a softer yarn. In the meantime, I'll finish this one and try washing it, to see if that improves it any.

Archived