Vintage Crochet Cardigan CAL

flyinghooks

I would like to join this CAL, I have some simply soft shadows in Dark Moss, but I think I only have 7 skeins. They are 3 oz., 150 yrds. Would that be enough? If I do the 5" squares? I am small around the chest and waist, but I have wide shoulders. So I think I will have to make the 5" squares.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pattern calls for 20 or 23 oz of ww yarn, and you've got 21 oz which is enough for size small according to the pattern.

I got twenty-one 4.75 inch squares out of a 7 oz skein of Red heart Super Saver. I had a little left over but not enough for another square. It's 363 yards a skein, but I think it may be a little heavier than simply soft. I read in another post that a square took about 18 yards, but I think mine took slightly less than that. If you used 18 yards per square you would have enough yarn for 58 squares. I suppose you could make a square and measure the yarn while you were making it and then figure out if you have enough.

Besides the squares you will also need yarn for edging. You could use a contrasting or co-ordinating yarn for that though.

I found 5 skeins of black in Simply soft, plus a couple partial skeins. Think I might just use that for my first one. Then if I like it I can order the color I want for another sweater. But I just might just might do what you said Gardener and make a square and measure the yarn.

LaVonneK - welcome. Here's a quote from an earlier post of mine about yardage...

Here's my best yardage guesses and where they come from..

1. Artemis made a medium with 8 extra squares (long sleeves). She believes she used 6.5 skeins of Wool-Ease (197yd) so that's about 1300yd. Ignoring edging, thats ~17.5 yds/square.

2. The original pattern says Knitting Worsted 23oz for medium. Most acrylic worsted weight (RH, Caron Simply soft and the like) average around 55yd per ounce. 55 yds x 23= 1265yd. also ~18yd/square.

This number is holding up for me as I am able to make 6 squares out of an 110yd skein of Knit Picks Wool of the Andes - I'm making a 4.25" square with 8 rounds.:hook

I would plan on needing 1300yds without any enlarging from the medium.

Btw, if you plan on making a square and then measuring the yardage. Try this instead. Measure out 20 yds (don't cut - but mark the 20 yd mark in some way -like with a slip knot on a place marker). Then make your square and measure what you have left! That way you don't have to undo the square you made!

Good Luck, and welcome!

I've made about 10 square from a skein of Caron's Simply Tweed in Dark Sage. I really like them, but I only had one skein. I couldn't find that color anywhere so I ordered what I needed. I'm still waiting for the order ... I'm hoping it will come in soon!!! I'm enjoying reading about everyone else's progress.

Hi, I have some pictures here.

I need some opinions.

The bottom picture have green and red in "4 and black in "4.25. I was going to pick red for cardigan even if green is prettier. Any thoughts ? :think

th_IMG_0554.jpg Close Detail of Carson Soft Black (clickable)

th_IMG_0553.jpg Close Detail of Carson Soft Shadows Autumn (clickable)

th_IMG_0549.jpg Close Detail of Carson Soft Shadows Dark Moss (clickable)

th_IMG_0526.jpg Three Choices in natural light (clickable)

I crocheted up a dark moss myself and it is very pretty, just wish I had more of that yarn. I am doing mine in SS Black and it looks pretty good too. But my favorite color is red. They all look pretty. I say go with what you want, if its red go with it. By the way what colors are threaded through the red shadows? Just might order me some.

Hi Tahlara, I like all 3 colors. I think the design of the sweater would show up better if you use the green or red. Funny... I thought of the exact same 3 colors. I decided on green. Have fun!

Here is the thumbprint, LaVonneK. THe main color is red, secondary colors are navy blue, bright purple (really blend with red) and bright yellow. *can't resist petting yarn!*

th_IMG_0556-1.jpg (clickable)

Totally OT but the Simply Soft Autumn reminds me of the next (!) crochet cardigan I am planning. It is referenced in the recent CrochetMe newsletter. Take a look: http://ellenbloom.blogspot.com/2007/01/top-down-crocheted-cardigan.html?emc=intellicontact&m=4805871&v=1024402047&l=19

I love the colors! Kate/Massachusetts

Totally OT but the Simply Soft Autumn reminds me of the next (!) crochet cardigan I am planning. It is referenced in the recent CrochetMe newsletter. Take a look: http://ellenbloom.blogspot.com/2007/01/top-down-crocheted-cardigan.html?emc=intellicontact&m=4805871&v=1024402047&l=19

I love the colors! Kate/Massachusetts

I saved this new pattern, also, as soon as I saw it. I really love it in the colors pictured.

I haven't made much progress on the squares the last couple of days. I'm trying to finish up another project, and I've kind of set the squares aside for the moment. I hope to get back to them next week.

Here is the thumbprint, LaVonneK. THe main color is red, secondary colors are navy blue, bright purple (really blend with red) and bright yellow. *can't resist petting yarn!*

th_IMG_0556-1.jpg (clickable)

Love it, Now I'm going to have to order me some. I think the shadows feels softer than the solid colors. Maybe its just me! You got it right you can't resist petting it. Well I have 6 squares done. Can't sit down 5 min. without getting interupted. So I am moving kinda slow.

I found this amusing I just pulled out some "saved" items found at garage sales etc. I was looking thru a pattern book that came from the 1964-65 Worlds Fair Titled Knitted and Crocheted Designs as featured at the Better Living Center at the NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR. (The pictures in this book are considered to be in the public domain now, since this booklet was published with no copyright notice. You can check here for more info about when items become public domain.)

On Page 10 is a full page pic of this sweater in dark green and the pattern is on the facing page.

scan0001wr4.th.jpg(click for larger view)

It is just titled Motif Sweater

This "American Thread Co and Star Instruction Book # WF1" cost the princely sum of 75¢

I will try to scan the cover too.

scan0003ku0.th.jpg

I think that's pretty interesting too. Thanks for sharing the picture.

The motifs look more noticeable in that cardigan than in the ones Artemis and Roli made.

Yep the design does seem to stand out more I don't know if it is the yarn or what.....

I read the pattern but didn't study it it does seem the same with the back loop only on some rounds making the pattern stand out more.

I will haven't checked line by line. yet. But will :devil

(This book is considered to be in the public domain now, since this booklet was published with no copyright notice. You can check here for more info about when items become public domain.)

I'm not sure how well it reads.

scan0002vl5.th.jpg

I'm sewing my squares together for the back. I was wondering if anyone could post a close up picture of their squares sewn together. I think mine look a little odd. It has to do with the last round of the square because of the way the last round is finished it kind of slopes off. I hope that makes sense. So to me it gives the impression that that side of the square is a little off kilter when it is sewn to another square. Has this happened to anyone??

I think mine look a little odd. It has to do with the last round of the square because of the way the last round is finished it kind of slopes off. I hope that makes sense. So to me it gives the impression that that side of the square is a little off kilter when it is sewn to another square. Has this happened to anyone??

This is the way the square is supposed to be. Once you sew it to the other squares, the difference on that side will disappear. :yes

I know, I am not even close to sewing squares together, but how do you make two squares, fit 4 squares on the sleeves? I mean how would you do it without it looking all wonky? And thank you Goodie2shoes for posting that pattern with the diagram. Makes it easier to see how it fits together.

Am I misunderstanding these directions??? It says to make the sleeve 2 squares by 4 squares...but that would mean that the front of the sleeve is only one square wide. That would never fit. Is it 2squares by 4 squares on the front of the sleeve and 2 squares by 4 squares to the back back sleeve? If the sleeve is really 4x4, I am going to be seriously short of yarn! <sigh> Kate/Massachusetts

Am I misunderstanding these directions??? It says to make the sleeve 2 squares by 4 squares...but that would mean that the front of the sleeve is only one square wide. That would never fit. Is it 2squares by 4 squares on the front of the sleeve and 2 squares by 4 squares to the back back sleeve? If the sleeve is really 4x4, I am going to be seriously short of yarn! <sigh> Kate/Massachusetts

Kate - as written the sweater only has 3/4 sleeves. Remember the sleeves are not inset so the shoulder seam will be an inch or so down your arm. As written there are 8 squares to the sleeve and 2 squares to the cuff. So 2 rows of 4 squares encircle your arm - then comes the cuff (again only a 3/4 sleeve). The cuff is only 2 squares encircling your arm and yes, it will take a fair amount of "easing" or "gathering" to sew 4 squares to 2 squares.

A friend from another group created a paper pattern to understand the layout. Here's a clickable picture of what she created. Remember the arms are folded flat here. She also did not include the cuff.

388011946_210a0c209f_m.jpg

Artemis added another row (4 more squares per sleeve) and then did the cuff as written. Roli left them as 3/4 sleeves, but didn't like the way the motifs gathered for the cuffs so she basically did several inches of sc ( I think) instead.

I plan to add 4 squares per sleeve to lengthen the sleeves and then... I'll figure out the cuffs when I get there!

Archived