Vintage Crochet Cardigan CAL

flyinghooks

Am I correct in thinking that the side that the raised spiral shows on is the right side? At first I thought this was the wrong side, but in looking at the pattern picture and the ones Rolli made and has on her website, thats what it looks like. Actually both sides of this square are nice looking.

I spent most of yesterday evening sewing blocks together in various ways and then ripping them apart again, and so far I think that sewing through the back loops looks best. However I am having a hard time achieving the "made in one piece look" that Artemis' and Rolli's cardigans had. I guess I need practice....Maybe I should have posted pictures of all my experiments, instead of taking them apart again.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gardner, blocking will give your sweater the "made in one piece" look. The ridges are on the right side and look great when all the squares are sewn together. The front border trim follows the same ridge pattern and completes the look well. Hang in there. It'll look great when it's done. :yes

Roli & Artemis, Do you think that one or two buttons on the edging could be done to provide closure? How would you do them? I have seen crocheted loops with crocheted buttons that I've been thinking about. Also, I have several pewter Nordic style clasps which would be less desirable to me because they tend to come undone. Thanks for your suggestions! Kate/Massachusetts

Yes Kate, it would be easy to do buttons on the edging. On your next to last pass, when you are crocheting the edging around the sweater, mark where you want your loops. When you get to your mark, chain enough chains to accommodate your button and skip a few stitches before you continue to crochet the edging. If you want a flat loop, skip an equal number of stitches as you have chains. If you want a "pinched" loop, just skip one stitch.

On your last pass around, sc into each chain on the loops. You may have to increase the width of your edging because the fronts do not meet. When you increase the width, you will also have more bulk in the neck area so you may end up with a shawl collar. It'll be interesting to see how this comes out!

Roli & Artemis, Do you think that one or two buttons on the edging could be done to provide closure? How would you do them? I have seen crocheted loops with crocheted buttons that I've been thinking about. Also, I have several pewter Nordic style clasps which would be less desirable to me because they tend to come undone. Thanks for your suggestions! Kate/Massachusetts

Kate - since you are doing (I think) 36 squares (6x6) in the back then you'll be able to do front panels that are 18 square (3x6). You'll have to gather the shoulders a bit (like they describe for the small) but your front panels should actually meet then. The edging will be just a basic buttonhole edging then.

I have 30 squares done. I have some difficulty figuring out how to post photos here but I'll give it a try in the morning.

I must say that this is going pretty fast so far. It takes me less than 15 minutes to make a block, and the design is so simple that I can watch tv or chat while I work on it.

Of course the dreaded sewing together is coming.....

I have the 25 blocks done for the back, and the ends for each have been woven in. It took me forever to sew two of the blocks together last night, though. I kept ripping out what I'd done and rereading some of the instructions for whipstitching in my books. I've spent years trying to avoid projects that had to be sewn together, and it shows. I think I've got the hang of it now because the next blocks went together much quicker.

well hello all, I am back on the internet after a really long time and decided that I would jump in on this cal even though our modest winter is over:) I am making mine in peach color(local yarn) and am thinking of using tunisian crochet:) Here is a pic of the first square I made. Let me know if this will work or not please? Thanks

Vims

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/crochetlady/motifcardigansquare01.jpg

Gardener - 30 squarees? that's great, I can't wait to see them

Lindan - Now you're smart... whipstitching and weaving in ends as you go! I dread that part! SOunds like you have made great progress as well. Can't wait to see pics!

Vims! Welcome back and welcome to the CAL. Your square looks great. There are a few ladies here making different squares.

Anyone else out there this morning? I worked on dh's sock last night so no squares, but I'll do squares today at library storytime with the kids:hook

Here's a picture of the last two squares I sewed together. Please excuse the picture quality. It's dark and gloomy in Oklahoma today, and I was trying to get a pic before the cat jumped up to investigate.

th_100_0555.jpg

I'm using Caron SS in the tapestry print. I think it's been discontinued.

Vims and Linda, nice blocks. Flying Hooks, your cardigan is going to be gorgeous. I like that color more each time I look at it.

Here are some of my blocks pinned to a towel. I'm sorry I didn't spring for better yarn now that I see how quickly this is going. I bought Red heart super saver, mostly because I already had 2 skeins of this color at home.

DSCF0024.jpg

It's frosty green. I liked the medium spruce too, but since I had some frosty green at home its what I picked. Actually I wouldn't have picked green at all, except for my 18 year old daughter telling me that my wardrobe was boring.

I'm out of yarn!! I was using a great grey color from my stash. DH is supposed to pick some up today, so I can keep going. I started a class, so now it is a weekend project :( unless I get my homework done early!! (yeah, right).

I have about 26 squares so far. These go so fast!!

I'm out of yarn!! I was using a great grey color from my stash. DH is supposed to pick some up today, so I can keep going. !

:cheer wow Danygirl how do you get Dh to go and buy yarn? :c9

I cant way that mine wouldnt I have never asked buy wow a dh that gets yarn. :yay

I decided to weave in the ends as I finished each square but only after I had finished the back 36 squares (sigh). I have been trying to whipstitch the squares each day during the "light of day" because I just can't see the stitches well enough at night.

I have been frustrated with the whipstitching because I kept splitting the stitch I was working into and having to pull out my work. Yesterday I went to my lys and bought a "Chibi" needle. It is a blunt, flat needle --- looks like a miniature ski --- and it has really helped with the whipstitching. I guess I am now "lacing" the pieces together rather than sewing. Anyhow, if you Google "chibi" you will see what it is. I paid $3 for a package of 2 needles but if you wanted a set with the needle case, it was $7 - go figure! It has helped alot. I really like this pattern! I sure hope it fits! So far I am right on gauge. Kate/Massachusetts

Afternoon nice to be with this group. I have 14 blocks or squares done and quite pleased with them. Will post a picture soon.

Great Job Mary Ann - can't wait to see your squares!

I have been frustrated with the whipstitching because I kept splitting the stitch I was working into and having to pull out my work. Yesterday I went to my lys and bought a "Chibi" needle. It is a blunt, flat needle --- looks like a miniature ski --- and it has really helped with the whipstitching. I guess I am now "lacing" the pieces together rather than sewing.

Cool needle Kate! I had never seen that. Are you whipstitching or by "lacing" do you mean the invisible weave / mattress stitch / baseball stitch? I use that on most garment seams.

You guys are making me feel like I need to go assemble some squares!

Great Job Mary Ann - can't wait to see your squares!

Cool needle Kate! I had never seen that. Are you whipstitching or by "lacing" do you mean the invisible weave / mattress stitch / baseball stitch? I use that on most garment seams.

You guys are making me feel like I need to go assemble some squares!

Hi Flyinghooks! No, I am whipstitching the squares together. It is just that this Chibi needle reminds me of the lacing needle that is used when I do rugbraiding. If you wanted one of those needles, most every LYS has them. I think I've seen them at Walmart or Michael's occasionally. They are very popular on the knitting lists...the first Chibi case was pink and it is now a collector's item/status symbol to own one! <lol> Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part but I do think it really helps me with the assembly. Sewing the finished work together of any kind of project is the part I hate so I am trying to psych myself into finishing as I go along. Kate

Archived