Vintage Crochet Cardigan CAL

flyinghooks

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ginny, Thanks for posting that picture. I must have missed the original post. Isn't it interesting how words conjure up different images to different people! I could not for the life of me visualize 2x4! Now, if the pattern said 4x2, I'd fully understand that one! :-) The language in crochet patterns has a real tendency to throw me for a loop! (no pun intended) Knitting I can do with my eyes closed but the crochet patterns seem to assume a level of direction that is unspoken and understood by the crochetier. :-) Crochetier...do you like that word? I saw it somewhere recently and thought it a good one. <vbg> Thanks again to everyone for all your help! Kate/Massachusetts

Wow, Ginny. Thanks for the picture - that really does help. I've been happily crocheting squares away, putting off the time when I have to really look at the pattern and figure out how to assemble. It is good to know you all will be here to help me when I start to panic! :cheer

:lol :lol :lol Yes, those four squares have to go into 2 squares for the cuff and I didn't like that "puffy sleeved" look at all. I just crocheted around the edges of the sleeves in the same pattern in single crochet until I had a nice cuff that I folded over. It was the same width as the 4 squares.

You could try to narrow the sleeves to three squares and then to 2 squares. This will make them longer but make it easier to attach the cuffs.

I know I posted earlier that I was going to join in, but a funny thing has happened--my mom took my project! lol I had started making squares and whipped through about 4 of them one morning last week. I was so pleased with how quickly and easily they were working up, so when mom came over to visit, I showed them off. Well, she was so impressed that I was making a cardigan out of these easy little squares, and well, she's been looking for something to do with her extra time these days, so..... I e-mailed her the pattern and gave her the yarn and told her to go for it :D She loves to crochet but hasn't been able to buy any yarn for a while, so this kills two birds with one stone, and I'm off to another project! You all have fun--I'll be checking in to see finished objects :D

up to 25 now, hit a snag, dd got a strange fever of 102.5 out of no where so my hands were busy holding a little girl who didnt feel so well.

Hope the little one feels better today!

Hope the little one feels better today!

thanks, she all of a sudden got a fever out of know where yesterday, then today it was diareah. Poor thing hasnt wanted to eat a substantail meal in 2 days. Lets see her food intake for the last 2 days has been

yesterday: 1/2 a bowl of cereal and some gold fish

today: 1/2 piece of toast, a few cheerios, 3 corn chips, 2 smiley fries

oh and she is almost 2 this is nothing for her. I guess I should call the dr, but first I will stop going on and on about my daughter and turnign this into a rant rather than a thank you. lol

ok so I have 50 done now. They are measuring 4/5 inches so I may be able to go by the # of squares required for a medium. I will see only 17 to go if thats the case.

Wow you're doing great - you've got tons of squares done (Gardener - you too!) Can't wait to see some pictures...

Kristin - how's your little one feeling? I have a sick dh now, worse than sick kids I think!!:lol

If it isn't to late I would like to join. Only question I have is, can I make this in to a 2 or 3 x???????:think

Never too late to join in the fun. Welcome!

A couple of people are doing 2x and 3x. There's a few ways to do this, either you increase the number of squares, or you increase the size of the squares (or a little of both).

Take a peek at this post for some more hints on resizing. Then if you need some help, scream out!

Hello, I know it's a while since I last posted in this CAL. I got into a bad crochet slump for several days.

But yesterday I managed to kick myself back into it. I managed to finish up one skein for this CAL (12 squares total with a bit yarn left). Here is the photo. (clickable)

th_IMG_0560.jpg

LaVonneK - I found that the color accents weave through the main color (red in this case) is rainbow colors in order, hope the photo can show it clearly, not the red, purple and yellow as I thought. My mistake, my apologies. It's still a lovely yarn!

Also, I went to Micheal's today. I bought 6 more skeins based on the amount I managed to get from first skein.

On Tuesday, I will be on the bus all day, going to several places all over Los Angeles. So I hope to finish up more squares as I can see I can't assemble the squares until I get 67 squares. It's because of the color accents in yarn, and it requires a bit planning ahead of time.

*sigh* being in Australia everything is different and I'm a little confused.

I've googled 'worsted' and come up with that being anything between 8-12ply. I've got some fabulous dark green balls of 100% wool that say '4ply' which is 'sock/baby/fingering'.

Will this wool work if I use two strands at the same time??

I've figured out that "H" is about my 5.00mm sized hook.

My wool is about 25g/ball which is about the same oz measurement from the pattern.

I have no idea about 'yardage' though - I've got 16 balls.

Can anyone help me??

Great job Diane - I see what you mean about the color variation. Layout will be fun!

Welcome Feliciter - glad to have you join us!

Yes H hook is 5 mm - good for worsted which I believe is like your 8 ply

You can use any yarn since you just have to make 4 inch squares. You could double fingering weight yarn or you could just crochet until you get 4 inches.

With worsted weight is takes around 17 yds to make a 4 inch square. So the total sweater for a medium was around 1400 yds.

I might suggest doing a test square with two strands and with one strand (smaller hook for one strand) and deciding which you like.

Just to be clear... the H is a 5mm hook which is sometimes called an "8" in the USA.

We had two different numbers going there :wlol

Thanks Darski - I just edited my post. Purely a typo, I never think of those other numbers, I always use mm. Too funny!

Archived