Vintage Crochet Cardigan CAL

flyinghooks

I just realize that I have to block all the squares to make them look better. I have no experience with the blocking process. What will be better to block caron simply soft shadows, and how?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just realize that I have to block all the squares to make them look better. I have no experience with the blocking process. What will be better to block caron simply soft shadows, and how?

Blocking works better with natural fibers or blends but I've given it a try with acrylics. You can steam the squares after pinning them square, drench the squares before pinning or spray the squares after blocking. I did the latter.

There's a tutorial on blocking squares via this method on a recent Crochet Me blogpost.

Oooo, thank you for the blocking tutorial link! Look like I need to get a good blocking board. I don't have anything that can be used for blocking. I am going to Michael's today. Good excuse to check it out beside yarn sales. :hook

ROLI HELP!!!

You and Artemis wore this sweater so well. It looks great on both of you! I'm just not sure if this is going to work on me! I have to run my son to Little League - I'll try to post a photo of me wearing it later but here it is laid out with one sleeve all sewn in. I'm thinking about making a smaller gusset, maybe 4 rounds instead of 8....

470320469_68ec332b04_m.jpg (clickable)

Also, even after adding in the extra 4 squares on the arms, I'm still looking at really short arms! I'd need to add another 2 rows per arm before cuff to get to full length and I'd never have enough yarn ! WAH!

So I figure I'll do the body edging first and then see how much yarn I have. I have a little more than 2 skeins left right now. I can get 6 squares out of a skein, so I think I'm stuck wit the sleeves I have. I'll end up just edging cuffs until I run out of yarn...

Ginny, your sweater is really turning out nice. I see what you mean about the gussets, they look kind of big the way the cardigan is laid out, but I think they might work when the cardigan is on.

I've had my squares done for weeks, but I just cannot muster up any enthusiasm for sewing them together. I think I just need to sit down and do it.

OK I'm thinking i'm throwing out the gusset square. I just sewed the 2nd sleeve in without a gusset and I think it looks OK.... my photographers are all sleeping.... Now I have 2 squares that could go toward longer sleeves... Maybe I'll try sewing them on one sleeve as the pattern calls for and see how easing 4 squares to two looks...

I started the main sweater edging. More later.. must sleep...

Flyinghooks, I threw out the gusset too at first. And then when I tried it on, it felt weird, so I made the gussets about 1/3 smaller and it kinda worked. Doing the whole placement of them took what felt like forever. :lol

... :thair My camera is doing something odd, and I haven't been able to take pictures in a while. Instead of doing what it should, when I press the shutter button, the thing just blinks at me and then tries to power down. It's very strange.

... :thair My camera is doing something odd, and I haven't been able to take pictures in a while. Instead of doing what it should, when I press the shutter button, the thing just blinks at me and then tries to power down. It's very strange.

by any chance is it time for new batteries? Just seems possible.

I thought the batteries might be bad, so I put new ones in, but the problem persisted. I'll try again with brand new ones, because there is a small possibility that the 2nd set of batteries were also bad.

Umm, yeah so I feel kinda stupid. I tried the camera with totally fresh batteries, and it worked like a charm. *doh!* Thanks again for that timely heads-up, Darski.

Umm, yeah so I feel kinda stupid. I tried the camera with totally fresh batteries, and it worked like a charm. *doh!* Thanks again for that timely heads-up, Darski.

So where's the picture??!! :lol Can't wait to see it!

Pictures of the cardigan are finally up on my blog, with the entry date being today's: 02.05.07. There is one shot from the front, and one shot of the back.

cardi_00.JPG

...I wasn't sure I liked the way it turned out, but it's growing on me.

Pictures of the cardigan are finally up on my blog, with the entry date being today's: 02.05.07. There is one shot from the front, and one shot of the back.

cardi_00.JPG

Looks great! :cheer:clap:cheer Wow! I forgot you used Fuschia!! That's one bright cardi! I should finish mine - it's just too big for an on the go project now....

Flyinghooks, thanks for the compliments. Yeah fuschia is pretty bright. Harder to fall asleep at my desk when I'm wearing the cardi. :lol

& I totally agree, you should definitely finish yours up. *nods*

Did you get the sleeves squared away? Did you keep them short, or did you decide to lengthen them? And did you ease the 4 to 2?

Hi Clocke! Your sweater turned out great! Love the color! I enjoyed your blog and liked seeing the close-up picture of your squares. I'm still working on mine, so your finished product is inspiring!

Lovely cardigan! :yes For myself, I am still struggling to find a good blocking board. Michael's, Wallmart and Joanne near me, they don't have it. They offer only the cutting mats for quilts. I may have to order it online or check with LYSs near me. I doubt they have it, but we will see.

Flyinghooks, thanks for the compliments. Yeah fuschia is pretty bright. Harder to fall asleep at my desk when I'm wearing the cardi. :lol

& I totally agree, you should definitely finish yours up. *nods*

Did you get the sleeves squared away? Did you keep them short, or did you decide to lengthen them? And did you ease the 4 to 2?

I was sidetracked by my niece's wedding this past weekend and by my dd's need for more clothes for the wedding! But, I've posted in my blog a current progress report. I hope to get back to the edging and figure out the sleeves a bit.

That said, I must admit that my MIL/FIL arrive this Friday because it is dd's 5th birthday next Tuesday... we have 14-18 preschoolers coming for lunch & cupcakes on Monday :eek .. and I have 2 baseball games, soccer practice and 2 soccer games over the weekend (good hooking time, but the vardi just isn't a good on the road project now...)

Lovely cardigan! :yes For myself, I am still struggling to find a good blocking board. Michael's, Wallmart and Joanne near me, they don't have it. They offer only the cutting mats for quilts. I may have to order it online or check with LYSs near me. I doubt they have it, but we will see.

I've actually been using a 0.5 inch thick foam board from Staples as a temporary blocking board - it's cheap and works.

Yes, I consider the foam boards. However I hope to find a board with grids and rulers on the sides same as the cutting mats. That way, I can block items with less difficulty. If I don't find one, then I will go for a foam board. Thanks for the advice!

Yes, I consider the foam boards. However I hope to find a board with grids and rulers on the sides same as the cutting mats. That way, I can block items with less difficulty. If I don't find one, then I will go for a foam board. Thanks for the advice!

Yes I want one of those too... but until I find one, the warping foam board will have to do!!:lol

:cheer :cheer

Looks great! I hope mine will turn out as well as yours!

cardi_00.JPG

Do you have a cutting table? I bought a cover for mine that has a grid that can be ironed on or pinned to....great for blocking and very large. I have to confess I still want a smaller board though...knitpicks has one and patternworks.com has the same one as well...also check ebay for ez-sew board.

Archived