Vintage Crochet Cardigan CAL

flyinghooks

No, I don't have a cutting table. I tend to use my kitchen table for my projects. Thank you for the tips! I will check the sites and ebay later when I have some free time.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to say "thank you" to flying hooks for her post (#99). I'm sewing in the gusset squares right now and I wouldn't have been able to figure out how they went in without her picture that she posted. I don't know how many months ago I started this cardigan. Its been real hard for me to stay motivated. I think its because I'm worried that it won't fit. But one of my goals for May is to get this cardigan done. I'm almost there. I just have to sew one more gusset in. Finish the sleeves and then do the edging.

I wanted to say "thank you" to flying hooks for her post (#99). I'm sewing in the gusset squares right now and I wouldn't have been able to figure out how they went in without her picture that she posted. I don't know how many months ago I started this cardigan. Its been real hard for me to stay motivated. I think its because I'm worried that it won't fit. But one of my goals for May is to get this cardigan done. I'm almost there. I just have to sew one more gusset in. Finish the sleeves and then do the edging.

Your most welcome Karin!

I've ended up removing the gussets - they were too baggy on me.

I took the two squares and tried that easing 4 squares to 2 squares and I absolutely hated it. Ripped that back off as well.

Now I have these 2 extra squares....

I've done 8 rows of edging on the main body - almost done the ninth. Then I'll have about half a skein left (50 yds) to to some sort of edging on the sleeves until I run out of yarn. I'm not sure what to do. :think I have really long arms so the 12 squares I have on the sleeves now just make it over the elbow - but they are so baggy I think it will look weird to try to taper them to a cuff now. I think it would work at the wrist (ala Artemis) but not at the elbow.

Roli - does your wide cuff taper at all? on the tweed one?

Maybe I'll get my son to take a photo of the current status before he goes to sleep...

Hi everyone. Sorry I've been gone for a while, had a lot of struggle going on at home.

Everyone's work looks great, sounds like you are all making good progress. I put my hook down for a while (shocking isn't it?), but I'm getting ready to pick it up again.

Here's a question. When I started this project, I was 40 pounds heavier. I'm still losing (yay for me!). Any suggestions for my sweater and the size I should make it?! I'm wondering if I should wait to finish it until I lose more...

Hi Danygirl! Congratulations on your weight loss! What size are you now and how much more do you want to lose? Can you determine what size you think you'll be? That's what I'd do if I wanted to work on it now.

Hello Everyone! I'm slowly working on mine, but making progress. I'm enjoying keeping up with everyone's work!

Ginny your cardigan looks awesome. I love the color, and I really like the way your sleeves came out..

Now I'm motivated to go sew some more squares together. If only I had a magic wand......

Thanks! I updated my blog - this post has the details of the pattern changes.

Flyinghooks, fabulous job on the cardi!!! The pic is beautiful. Makes me want to do one again but with the squares in the pattern. *in awe*

That is a fabulous cardigan Ginny. You did an excellent job and chose a great color.

I know I have not been here for this but I think I should officially leave this cAL as I am starting a UFO challenge and I think the squares for this will have to be frogged (or altered to start a shawl maybe). :think

This has been a great CAL and I have really enjoyed watching the progress on these.

Be very, very blessed all

:ghug:hug:ghug

I'm going to keep checking in and :cheering you on. I just have to admit that the squares are going somewhere else.

My major problem is that most of my weight is on the top, I have large arms and a wide/full-busted torso. that means that any crochet item I put on my top seems to double my already vast area. :sigh.

Hi al! I've been off the boards for months now , and I come back to find this CAL! I've wanted to do this since I found the pattern last year. I have a huge spool of sport weight "commercial" chenille (ebay stuff) in a beautiful blue green. I am a bit concerned about the number of motifs needed to make a 1-2x -I am notorious for getting bored with motifs. I think it mainly comes down to being so slow!

I'm also working on a teddy bear (the second pattern listed in the teddy CAL) so I hope I can keep myself going on both! I'm gonna try some swatches tonight and see how it works.

This doesn't seem TOO scary for my first garment! :eek

Ahh, I see. *nods* I'd offer a helpful design modification suggestion, but my design skills are rather infantile. :yarn

I'm going to keep checking in and :cheering you on. I just have to admit that the squares are going somewhere else.

My major problem is that most of my weight is on the top, I have large arms and a wide/full-busted torso. that means that any crochet item I put on my top seems to double my already vast area. :sigh.

Ginny, your cardigan looks fantastic! Great Job ... I'm off to read your blog update.

I just got an old vintage magazine that happens to have this particular pattern in it and....there's a SKIRT pattern to match, it's basically the same square and you join them 5X10, and do a top row of sc and add elastic. Makes a cute suit.

I can try to take a pic of the outfit and post it but no promises on how well my digicam will pick it up.

I just got an old vintage magazine that happens to have this particular pattern in it and....there's a SKIRT pattern to match, it's basically the same square and you join them 5X10, and do a top row of sc and add elastic. Makes a cute suit.

I can try to take a pic of the outfit and post it but no promises on how well my digicam will pick it up.

What a neat idea. it would be so cute done as a set. :cheer

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just popping in to report that my cardigan is officially finished. It desperately needs blocking though. It looks like a bunch of squares sewn together! It fits me perfectly, but I'm not sure if I'd ever wear it anywhere. I"ll see what it looks like after blocking.

I'm just popping in to report that my cardigan is officially finished. It desperately needs blocking though. It looks like a bunch of squares sewn together! It fits me perfectly, but I'm not sure if I'd ever wear it anywhere. I"ll see what it looks like after blocking.

I hope you're happier after blocking. I sure was! I can't wait to see it!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have a picture to share, (well, that is if I can figure out how to post it) I had to take a picture of it spread out on the floor, since I keep forgetting to have dh get a picture of it on me.<a href=th_DSCF0017-1.jpg' alt='th_DSCF0017-1.jp

Guess I'm really too late to join in this CAL, but I've been so inspired by everyone here, and I'm finally getting very, very close to completion of my own Vintage Cardi based on this pattern. I'm still pretty much a newbie at crochet, and this is my first wearable for myself that actually fits! :yay It is such a versatile pattern, and the diamond/square motif is fantastic! I used Caron Simply Soft Brites in Rose Violet with a K hook (my squares are only 6 rows around to meet the 4" gauge). I made an extra row of squares for front and back to lengthen the body and added an extra row of squares for the sleeves, then ended up adding a few rows of single crochet on the sides to make it fit better. Also added a few finishing rows of sc to the sleeves with very slight decreases - worked like a charm! I have narrow shoulders and wider hips, so the boxiness did not work well for me. However, I'm very happy with it now after just those minor changes. If I had a digital camera, I'd happily post pics...but I'm currently stuck in the dark ages.:blush

But anyway, wanted to thank all the contributors and inspirational members here - your posts have helped me a lot and encouraged me in my crochet adventure. :clap

Sara

Archived